Winnipeg meets' thread (Ongoing)
Feb 19, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #1,621 of 4,131

Apples and oranges.  The 2020 (budget studio condenser) has a totally different application from the SM58's (mainly live vocals, general all-rounder, smash it into a punk singer's forehead and it still sounds fine).  The thing about the SM58 is that it is the standard, for better or worse, and that makes some things easier when you're working with different people, because everyone from vocalist to sound tech is familiar with how to use it effectively.
The SM57 is one of the best bang-for-buck microphones - it's used in top studios with unlimited funds, and on every stage in the world.   Maybe not ideal for all applications, but it's tough to beat for miking a snare drum or guitar amp.

True enough, I just had one on hand when I started doing stuff that involved mic's.

Feb 19, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #1,622 of 4,131

Are we speaking from experience here?

(and were you the smasher, or the smashee?
biggrin.gif
)

Usually with punk singers the smasher is also the smashee.  
tongue.gif
  I'm generally the guy who (tries not to) hits mics with drumsticks, not foreheads.

Feb 20, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #1,624 of 4,131
My Saturday is a bit fuzzy. How about let's say 7:30pm on Sunday?

The LCD2? I know Jim (aqsw) has one. I think Zach (ckaz) used to have one but sold it. I'm fairly familiar with the LCD2 myself, having heard it several times and I had one on loan for a while.

Feb 20, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #1,627 of 4,131
I sent out a small PM to a couple people. If you didn't get one but would like to attend, drop me a pm.

Feb 22, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #1,630 of 4,131
Hey Bear, this was sort of a last minute thing so I wasn't expecting you to make the long drive out (it's what... 2 hours both ways?). I think I'll put together a bigger meet in a couple months.

Feb 22, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #1,631 of 4,131
Hey Bear, this was sort of a last minute thing so I wasn't expecting you to make the long drive out (it's what... 2 hours both ways?). I think I'll put together a bigger meet in a couple months.

Ok, I'll keep my eyes open for it.

Feb 27, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #1,632 of 4,131
Hey for anyone interested, I've got a chocolate/dessert potluck happening tomorrow around 8pm. Bring fruit for dipping, or other desserts, or drinks. Location is in Lindenwoods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back