Winnipeg meets' thread (Ongoing)
Jun 17, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #571 of 4,169
You could consider it a driver upgrade for the HP3 shells if you prefer.  :)

No worries, just let me know if you're interested and I'll send them in.  If you want something new and super cheap, you could try ear protection cups at Princess Auto.  $3 I believe.

Jun 20, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #573 of 4,169
I just built an L pad circuit, as per this design:  http://sound.westhost.com/project100.htm  
I used resistor values suggested for a 40 W amp, and cased it up handsomely in a clean, empty Heinz Deep-Browned Beans in Tomato Sauce can.

I haven't done any testing, aside from determining that it works using the speaker outs of my NAD 7140.  Looking forward to A/B'ing against the NAD's built-in headphone out, and a few other amps.

If anyone has a use for one of these, let me know.  I bought more resistors than I needed, so I can build a few more very easily.  Used food can case is optional.

Jun 23, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #575 of 4,169
Advance and Brian Reimer are the only 2 places I'm aware of that even have demo units to test. Can't vouch for the prices though. 

Jun 23, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #576 of 4,169
Creative Audio has Sennheisers and Grado. Long & McQuade and Mother's Music carry a fair selection too (mostly pro audio gear, but you'll find venerable entries like the Sony V6 and Senn HD25 and the Beyers).

Most of my stuff comes from the US and/or I buy used.

Jun 24, 2011 at 4:16 AM Post #577 of 4,169
The Sony Store in Polo park has some of their models out as demos but their pretty expensive. If you buy anything there be sure to try and barter them down if you push a little you can usually get a better deal and the same goes with Advance. Creative Audio has some great stuff but they're really pricey and they don't usually let you demo anything unless you're a regular customer who buys a lot of gear there.

Jun 24, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #578 of 4,169

Quote:
The Sony Store in Polo park has some of their models out as demos but their pretty expensive. If you buy anything there be sure to try and barter them down if you push a little you can usually get a better deal and the same goes with Advance. Creative Audio has some great stuff but they're really pricey and they don't usually let you demo anything unless you're a regular customer who buys a lot of gear there.

Really?  I've demoed headphones at Creative before, despite never having bought anything there.  Granted, this was a couple of years ago, and their policy has maybe changed.  Or maybe I just intimidated them into compliance.  In any event, they seemed a bit shocked and dismayed when I expressed shock and dismay at the price of their only headphone amp - pretty sure they were asking ~$700 for the Grado RA1.

If price is an issue though, you will be much better off trying things out on the used market here and reselling what you don't like.  You will save well over 50%, especially given the weak US dollar.

Jun 26, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #579 of 4,169
Hey DigitalFreak, have you got your DT1350s yet?  I just saw Tyll's rave review of them on innerfidelity.com.  I'd love to check them out at the next meet, whenever it happens to be.

Jun 26, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #580 of 4,169
I should have them in my hands sometime mid June. It's been almost two months since I ordered them and I'm fast losing patience with Long & McQuade.

I also read Tyll's review and I'm really looking forward to finally seeing for myself what all the fuss is about. Once I get them I'll post on here I got them and we'll set up a meet date. I'm only to happy to have you guys have a listen to see what you all think. It would be rather nice to finally meet you guys. According to Tyll the 1350's react very nicely to amping.

Jun 26, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #581 of 4,169
I should be in town sometime in the week prior to folk fest.  Maybe I can convince my mother in-law to host, if her living room renos are finished and her stereo is set up (Esoteric cdp -> Coda pre -> Bryston power amp -> PMC speakers  --  very nice sounding!).

Jun 26, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #582 of 4,169
Oh God I love how Bryston gear sounds
L3000.gif
to bad it costs an arm and a leg. The current Bryston DAC is 5000 bones
confused_face.gif
. Creative Audio has a killer all Bryston stereo set up that's to die for can't remember what the speakers were though.

P.S.
Pardon my ignorance but where the heck is Betelgeuse? Never heard of that town before lol.

Jun 27, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #583 of 4,169

Quote:
P.S.
Pardon my ignorance but where the heck is Betelgeuse? Never heard of that town before lol.

Betelgeuse 5 is the home planet of Ford Prefect in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Betelgeuse being the star and 5 indicating the planet (e.g., we live on Sol 3, or Earth).  I actually live near Erickson, which is not quite as remote.  :)

Jul 16, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #584 of 4,169
Jul 17, 2011 at 5:40 AM Post #585 of 4,169

Quote:

That's surprising, I was there this Saturday afternoon looking around in their headphone section and I didn't see any P5's on the racks. By the way I picked up the Sennheiser HD 25-II Adidas and so far I'm enjoying the sound and the fit is real comfy too. Definitely a keeper for my collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back