Windows XP Pro SP2 install or not?
Mar 3, 2006 at 12:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

PinkFloyd

Headphoneus Supremus
Just installed windows XP professional running SP1 and am in two minds whether ot not to install SP2. I mean the OS is working perfectly as it is with SP1 so do I "need" to install SP2. a few people have said "yes" and a few have said "no" what do you guys think?

Mar 3, 2006 at 1:06 PM Post #2 of 25
I have mine and it works fine....it includes some security updates that will keep you on the safe side...

Mar 3, 2006 at 2:04 PM Post #4 of 25
SP2 is supposed to solve some security problems , however it does also reset a bunch of settings such as Windows Firewall without telling you (effectively ****ting out my wireless network) and it requires you to get patches for some programs that work fine with SP1 and in my work system at least Windows XP is now hideously unstable and I get endless hangs and "program not responding " issues even with MS components such as IE, Word and PowerPoint (all latest versions by the way). This is on a bog-standard Dell with 512MB.

Apart from that the added security is probably worth it, though even with SP2and Virus checkers (Norton) and Spyware blockers my PC was compromised last year and the support department had to reformat the hard drive. But dont let that put you off.

Mar 3, 2006 at 3:40 PM Post #5 of 25
Check out the Feature List
Without service pack 2 xp is nothing more than a warmed over 2000. service pack 2 adds support for modern things like bluetooth, and the security centre is an added bonus. I personally would recommend service pack 2. Service pack 2 is really what xp should have been like upon release in my opinion.

Mar 3, 2006 at 3:42 PM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77
SP2 is supposed to solve some security problems , however it does also reset a bunch of settings such as Windows Firewall without telling you (effectively ****ting out my wireless network) and it requires you to get patches for some programs that work fine with SP1 and in my work system at least Windows XP is now hideously unstable and I get endless hangs and "program not responding " issues even with MS components such as IE, Word and PowerPoint (all latest versions by the way). This is on a bog-standard Dell with 512MB.

Apart from that the added security is probably worth it, though even with SP2and Virus checkers (Norton) and Spyware blockers my PC was compromised last year and the support department had to reformat the hard drive. But dont let that put you off.

Well Jim, this is just what I have heard from several people and they reckon SP2 causes more problems than it solves. I think I'll just keep running SP1 for the time being as my computer is as solid as a rock, I don't want to compromise it by installing a huge program that I possibly don't even need! Most of these microsoft update things are patches for the last update that had bugs in it so I'm even going to turn automatic updates off. I'm new to this XP thing having use 98SE for the past 5 or so years and am maybe not doing the right thing turning off updates etc. but, what the hell, life's a gamble!

Mar 3, 2006 at 4:17 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
Well Jim, this is just what I have heard from several people and they reckon SP2 causes more problems than it solves. I think I'll just keep running SP1 for the time being as my computer is as solid as a rock, I don't want to compromise it by installing a huge program that I possibly don't even need! Most of these microsoft update things are patches for the last update that had bugs in it so I'm even going to turn automatic updates off. I'm new to this XP thing having use 98SE for the past 5 or so years and am maybe not doing the right thing turning off updates etc. but, what the hell, life's a gamble!

If you have a fresh install of XP, definitely go for it. Most of the problems with SP 2 (including some I had) were due to it being installed on top of an "old" sp1. After a fresh install of xp and sp2, everything's been just fine (even though I secretly plan to go back to Apple)
tongue.gif

/JF

Mar 3, 2006 at 6:27 PM Post #8 of 25
I would install it, I've never had any problems whatsoever.

Mar 4, 2006 at 2:57 AM Post #9 of 25
It it ain't broke ...

Mar 4, 2006 at 3:01 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by JiiEf
If you have a fresh install of XP, definitely go for it. Most of the problems with SP 2 (including some I had) were due to it being installed on top of an "old" sp1. After a fresh install of xp and sp2, everything's been just fine (even though I secretly plan to go back to Apple)

yes, this is the main reason why people hate SP2. the sooner you install it, the less chances there are of conflicts with existing software. you will be fine if you install SP2 immediately after the first bootup

Mar 4, 2006 at 3:05 AM Post #11 of 25
If you are going to do it, just do it now....later on with installed programs running on it, the chances are that you will end messing something, but from scratch it works like a charm...

Mar 4, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #12 of 25
You already know my opinion...
wink.gif

...The poll agrees with me.

Mar 4, 2006 at 3:54 AM Post #13 of 25
Well you don't *need* it, but you should probably get it. Just disable all those annoying things (ie the Security Center, what a waste of disk space).

If you just want to be secure and not bother with all the SP2 stuff, you should be able to get all the security updates using microsoft update.

Mar 4, 2006 at 4:02 AM Post #14 of 25
Ehh, downgrade to Win2k instead
wink.gif
. Far less "nonsense" and probably more stability than any version of XP. Of course if you need XP features then don't...

Mar 4, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Ehh, downgrade to Win2k instead
wink.gif
. Far less "nonsense" and probably more stability than any version of XP. Of course if you need XP features then don't...

Well, this was my answer too... I think W2K is great, but its surprisingly expensive to pick up these days (iirc, more expensive than the full version of XP Pro)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back