Windows XP blue screen #8, something about IRQ Less Than
May 12, 2005 at 5:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Headphoneus Supremus
what does this mean?
confused.gif

I get it when using E-mu sometimes, and when playing games... and when shutting down. Just seems to have started happening one day for no reason.

can't figure out what causes it. there's no IRQ conflicts, I checked that.

confused.gif

May 12, 2005 at 5:09 PM Post #2 of 30
It a VIRQ conflict (virtual IRQ)

WinXP, instead of showing IRQ sharing like Win98 did, assigns a "virtual IRQ" to IRQ sharing devices. In the PC architecture there are only 16 interrupts, 0 to 15, yet WinXP can display "IRQ"s into the 20's.

Your e-mu is having an interrupt sharing conflict. Try updating the device drivers, otherwise you may have to play swap-the-PCI slot with the device to see if that helps. The problem with WinXP's IRQ sharing system is that you don't quite know what it's sharing with, so it can be a problem with the e-mu or the device it is IRQ sharing with.

As typical, 2 steps forward, 1/2 step back...

May 12, 2005 at 5:12 PM Post #3 of 30
I wondered about that. Becuase Emu is IRQ 27 or something
eek.gif
confused.gif
lol

problem is, because of the huge BLack Gate caps on my emu, i CANT move the physical card.
frown.gif

lets hope drivers fix it............

May 12, 2005 at 6:39 PM Post #4 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake
It a VIRQ conflict (virtual IRQ)

WinXP, instead of showing IRQ sharing like Win98 did, assigns a "virtual IRQ" to IRQ sharing devices. In the PC architecture there are only 16 interrupts, 0 to 15, yet WinXP can display "IRQ"s into the 20's.

Your e-mu is having an interrupt sharing conflict. Try updating the device drivers, otherwise you may have to play swap-the-PCI slot with the device to see if that helps. The problem with WinXP's IRQ sharing system is that you don't quite know what it's sharing with, so it can be a problem with the e-mu or the device it is IRQ sharing with.

As typical, 2 steps forward, 1/2 step back...

Auurgh. Sometimes I hate Windows XP.
frown.gif

Okay, if I move it so it's directly under my ATI 9800, do you think it'd get hot enough to damage the soundcard, or Gfx card? that's really my only option for moving the card around at this point.

May 12, 2005 at 6:43 PM Post #6 of 30
Disabling APIC may help, this at least prevents the use of virtual irqs. After that there is just 16 irqs and you can verify that any card really don't use same interrupt.

btw. it is possible that windows won't start if you change APIC setting.

May 12, 2005 at 6:46 PM Post #7 of 30
take a look in your mobo-handbook. better mobo-manufacturers provide you with an irq-sharing table, where you can see, which pci-slots have to share their assigned irqs with other cards or components. based on that info, you could also change the position of other cards or deactivate onboard-features (like firewire- or com-ports).

May 12, 2005 at 6:53 PM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek
Auurgh. Sometimes I hate Windows XP.
frown.gif

Okay, if I move it so it's directly under my ATI 9800, do you think it'd get hot enough to damage the soundcard, or Gfx card? that's really my only option for moving the card around at this point.

I wouldn't move it there. The AGP and first PCI slot near it share the same hard wired IRQ on all boards I have ever seen. On higher bandwidth devices you will usually end up with resource starvation on one, or both, of the devices when the bandwidth utilization bounces up.

Can you remember what might have changed the day that the blue screens started?

May 12, 2005 at 7:44 PM Post #9 of 30
I used to have that problem but I fixed it by not overclocking my CPU, I originally had it set to 10% overclock on my bios but once I reduced it to no overclocking the problem went away. If you are not overclocking anything then it just might be a conflict like the others have said.

May 12, 2005 at 8:22 PM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmj
Disabling APIC may help, this at least prevents the use of virtual irqs. After that there is just 16 irqs and you can verify that any card really don't use same interrupt.

btw. it is possible that windows won't start if you change APIC setting.

i can setup APIC during windows install, right?

so i will just disable it next time i format
biggrin.gif

are there any bad side effects of disabling APIC?

May 12, 2005 at 9:31 PM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

i can setup APIC during windows install, right?

so i will just disable it next time i format
biggrin.gif

are there any bad side effects of disabling APIC?

WinXP loses interrupt steering, therefore most modern PCI cards will default to the hardward IRQ of the slot it occupies. XP also loses power configuration support and on a number of motheroboards it also disables extended BIOS handling. This will usually cause XP massive headaches with the IRQ issue but may completely prevent startup with the extended BIOS issue.

May 13, 2005 at 1:16 AM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

what does this mean?
confused.gif

I get it when using E-mu sometimes, and when playing games... and when shutting down. Just seems to have started happening one day for no reason.

can't figure out what causes it. there's no IRQ conflicts, I checked that.

confused.gif

IRQ_NOT_LESS_THAN_EQUAL ???

yeah I have had this before

Things I do to try and solve it is rotate RAM around in slots and check bios settings for things that shouldnt be there, aswell as try running Last Known Good Configuration, I do remember though that the IDE bus seems to cause this alot (from my experience anyway)

May 13, 2005 at 4:55 AM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis
I do remember though that the IDE bus seems to cause this alot (from my experience anyway)

meaning what? bad CD drive, bad hard drive, bad cables?

May 13, 2005 at 4:56 AM Post #15 of 30
while i've got the attention of computer people (
biggrin.gif
) i might also ask.... sometimes i get this problem where i pop in a CD, then the drive dissapears when the cd should have autorun. like the drive literally dissapears as if it's never been connected to my system.
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back