Windows Vista- does it sound better than XP?
Jul 1, 2008 at 2:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

J-Pak

Headphoneus Supremus
I'd be curious to hear from any programmers or DAC engineers whether using a digital output (on a sound card) to an outboard DAC sounds better on Vista. Even with kmixer bypassed in XP, I have read in some technical articles that Vista sounds better.

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse, I don't visit this section much
redface.gif

Jul 1, 2008 at 7:42 AM Post #2 of 3

Nocturnal310

Headphoneus Supremus
Actually vista is worse for sound output... lot of sound driver issues & little cpu load causes the Sound onboard to crackle.

Jul 1, 2008 at 8:05 AM Post #3 of 3

Redo

Headphoneus Supremus
To the best I can chime in, achieving confirmed bit perfect playback on Vista is very easy (confirmed via DD and DTS .wav test file to a receiver).

Also, the Vista sound options are much more complete than in XP when using the Windows mixer. Things such as the ability to set each program's volume via the control panel, and the ability to set the native bit and sampling output directly from Vista's control panel.

As for crackling and driver issues, I guess it comes down to having the adequate hardware and driver support. Drivers have come a LONG way since launch, and most competent audio software and hardware have moved far past stability problems.

Users who are viewing this thread