WINDOWS users-- which web browser do you use and why?
Apr 26, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #213 of 234
Firefox. I used Netscape before that, since 1996. I toy with other browsers now and then (Opera, Safari) but Firefox remains my 'main squeeze'. I carry the portable version in my USB drive. I only use IE when forced (i.e. at work).

cheers!

Apr 26, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #214 of 234
Quote:

Originally Posted by ford2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote::You do realize that, at its heart, Maxthon uses the same terrible rendering as IE, right?

Its the ability to customise and the interface that I am interested in.I could not give a continental about a few nano seconds here and there.

It's got nothing to do with nanoseconds. The speed difference is in the hundreds of milliseconds (that's hundreds of millions of nanseconds, by the way), so next time you throw around "statistics" do it accurately. Further, IE is the worst at actually even rendering pages accurately and correctly. So IE (and thus Maxthon) does the crappiest job showing you the web and does it slower than browsers that more accurately render pages.

(not all of what I said is true if you're using the pre-release Maxthon3 and the Webkit rather than Trident rendering engine)

Apr 26, 2010 at 4:46 AM Post #215 of 234
^ The reason I use Maxthon as my secondary browser is that it gives no errors where non-IE-based browsers fail. That means netflix w/silverlight, microsoft.com, and many out-of-date sites that simply reject my primary opera install. And of course it is leaps and bounds ahead of IE in terms of features. Other than that I see no reason to use Maxthon (2) over the more popular browsers.

Apr 26, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #216 of 234
I use Firefox when working on projects because of tabs. Chrome for speed and general browsing.

Apr 26, 2010 at 7:43 AM Post #219 of 234
I switched from FF to chrome two weeks ago.
I still haven't found all of my favorite addons.
I need foxytunes and a proper download statusbar.
But it is faster than FF and lighter on the CPU.

Apr 27, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #220 of 234
Quote:

Originally Posted by guyx1992 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I switched from FF to chrome two weeks ago.

Pretty much this, it's been good so far though is there a way to show more than 8 pages on the home page?? I don't have an overkill screen but I could easily get another 10 on the one page and it's quicker than searching through the bookmarks.

Apr 27, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #221 of 234
I just installed Chrome on my PC. It loads unbelievably fast, much much faster than Firefox. Now that it has extensions that I normally use with Firefox, I'm going to give it a second chance.

Apr 27, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #222 of 234
desktop: chrome
laptop: firefox
web development: firefox, IE6
work: firefox, IE6

I still don't feel chrome is as secure as firefox, I don't do my banking with chrome. Chrome still has a ton of issues rendering common pages ....

Apr 27, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #223 of 234
Firefox > all

Apr 28, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #224 of 234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Primetime1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
desktop: chrome
laptop: firefox
web development: firefox, IE6
work: firefox, IE6

I still don't feel chrome is as secure as firefox, I don't do my banking with chrome. Chrome still has a ton of issues rendering common pages ....

Chrome is probably the most secure browser available today. For the past two years (2009, 2010) it has proven that fact at the Pwn2Own hacking competition whereas Firefox, Safari, and IE have all been successfully attacked. So I'm not really sure where you get the idea that Chrome is less secure, because it's just simply not true.

Apr 28, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #225 of 234
Quote:

Originally Posted by hectuero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Chrome is probably the most secure browser available today. For the past two years (2009, 2010) it has proven that fact at the Pwn2Own hacking competition whereas Firefox, Safari, and IE have all been successfully attacked. So I'm not really sure where you get the idea that Chrome is less secure, because it's just simply not true.

That's nice to know because I'm loving the latest version of Chrome for both PC and Mac. It's fast as hell and I love that it now supports the extensions that I normally used with Firefox.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back