Windows Options: Loudness Equalization
Mar 30, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #2 of 8
No you should not. All normalisation has the "radio effect" the idea is to sound OK on all radios and sound systems ever made and limit the amount of information being sent, in this case the dynamic range. If you only have tiny ****ty speakers it might be a good idea, but on anything even passably decent you are just losing information from the sound.

Apr 2, 2016 at 7:51 AM Post #3 of 8
Our ears are very bad microphones.
They are highly non-linear and this varies with the  loudness.
Google a little on “equal loudness contour” or Fletcher-Munson.

As our hearing at low level has problems detecting bass, a little boost will help.
Likewise is it become louder, the boost should be decreased.

When done right, it will improve the listening experience.

Apr 2, 2016 at 8:05 AM Post #4 of 8
Our ears are very bad microphones.
They are highly non-linear and this varies with the  loudness.
Google a little on “equal loudness contour” or Fletcher-Munson.

As our hearing at low level has problems detecting bass, a little boost will help.
Likewise is it become louder, the boost should be decreased.

When done right, it will improve the listening experience.

Well i dont know if the windows loudness equalization works correctly because when i turn it on the only thing i can hear a difference is that it makes everything louder

Apr 2, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #6 of 8
  Maybe it works like a kind of volume leveling.
Personally I don't use any of this options as I do think M$ implementations of DSP a bit below par.

It is volume leveling. Its compressing the dynamic range and destroying bits in the process, download audacity, throw a track on and normalise it.

Apr 2, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #7 of 8
It is exactly as yay101 describes: its a dynamic compressor (and it has variable attack/release time if you click "Settings"). I use it on my office computer that has speakers built into the monitor, and it helps make most sounds more intelligible (there's also a "low frequency protection" option that Microsoft provides which helps too - keeps the monitor's chassis from buzzing). On my "hi-fi" computer I leave all that stuff disabled for music listening, especially as most tracks these days are so heavily compressed it doesn't matter too much, and certainly doesn't help matters. For watching TV or movies it can still be useful, and some third-party soundcards offer a similar feature (e.g. Creative has "Smart Volume Management" which is similar in concept). Overall its a nice feature to have when you need it, but its nothing I'd leave enabled 24x7 for critical listening. If I was using the PC for mostly TV watching I'd probably re-think that though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back