Windows 7 on MSDNAA
Aug 25, 2009 at 7:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

ABathingApe

500+ Head-Fier
For anyone who has access to MSDNAA have you downloaded your free copy of Windows 7 Business?
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 25, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #2 of 23
Not on MSDN but I've been running the beta (and now have the RC) since it first came out last year. I've got my copy pre-ordered for when it's released in October. I was able to get in for the half price offer. Possibly the best Windows OS yet.

And all you Mac people can just stop chuckling now
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 25, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #4 of 23
Even with the start menu gone, it's still miles ahead of XP or Vista. Much easier to use and has very good resource management. I would still recommend it to anyone getting windows

Aug 26, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #9 of 23
Played around with the RC, feels pretty much like Vista x64. Not sure why people think Win7 is that much better than Vista. Maybe on older hardware, but with modern machines they feel identical to me.

I just got my MSDNAA account through ACM, I'll mess around more with it next week. For those interested, students can sign up for ACM for $19 a year and get access to the MSDN catalog or with IEEE for $30 a year. I recommend ACM since the year sub starts from your payment date, whereas IEEE will only run until December 31st.

Aug 26, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by skitlets /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Played around with the RC, feels pretty much like Vista x64. Not sure why people think Win7 is that much better than Vista. Maybe on older hardware, but with modern machines they feel identical to me.

I just got my MSDNAA account through ACM, I'll mess around more with it next week. For those interested, students can sign up for ACM for $19 a year and get access to the MSDN catalog or with IEEE for $30 a year. I recommend ACM since the year sub starts from your payment date, whereas IEEE will only run until December 31st.

So with ACM you get access to MSDNAA? My account is just through the Engineering department at University.

Aug 26, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by skitlets /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You hit the nail on the head performance wise IMO. My old laptop (Lenovo Z60t) chokes on Vista but runs 7 brilliantly. The real differences on modern hardware are more along the lines of both the obvious and subtle UI changes, improved driver support, and boot speed. 7 also has an automatic built-in startup repair program instead of relying on the install disc.

Vista is an excellent OS despite the negative publicity. Win 7 is actually listed as version 6.1 in winver BTW.

Aug 26, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #12 of 23
Just downloaded!!! My new computer will be coming tomorrow....expecting some good results...

Anyone know if they have compatible X-Fi drivers out yet?

Aug 26, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by ABathingApe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So with ACM you get access to MSDNAA? My account is just through the Engineering department at University.

Correct you are, sir. Same with IEEE. Student memberships for both get access to MSDNAA, regardless of major. Also note that MSDNAA actually has FOUR licenses. Win 7 Pro x64, x86 and Win 7 Pro French x64 and x86. Any license will activate any version of Win 7 Pro. That means you can use the French x86 to activate an English disc of x64.

Aug 26, 2009 at 8:04 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just downloaded!!! My new computer will be coming tomorrow....expecting some good results...

Anyone know if they have compatible X-Fi drivers out yet?

No problems with X-Fi and Windows 7. If you're gaming you need alchemy, it's a EAX wrapper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back