Windows 7 dwn.exe problem :/
Nov 22, 2009 at 4:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Al4x

Headphoneus Supremus
well this is my 3rd instsall of windows 7, each time a new problem arises, this time its the DWM.exe process,

it seems that randomly it spikes to 25% cpu and everything judders, the mouse stops working properly, the lights on my USB mouse go off and on, and its really annoying, im running virus checkers on it now

at this rate im going to reinstall vista, for all its faults, ive never had any major issues with it!

its begging to frustrate me!

ps, virus checks come back clear :/

Nov 22, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #2 of 28

MCC

1000+ Head-Fier
Control panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change adapter settings > right-click on any adapter, hit properties > "Internet protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4)" > Properties > Advanced > WINS > uncheck "Enable LMHOSTS lookup".

This will disable an antiquated part of Windows networking that has caused me CPU spikes on two separate machines running Windows 7 x64. I tracked it down with a kernel debugger and I found that the machines were occasionally getting stuck in a semi-infinite loop of LMHOSTS lookups.

Hope this helps!

Edit: Windows 7 doesn't even have an LMHOSTS file configured by default so this change won't affect anything but your CPU spikes. The OS attempts to open a file that isn't even there millions of times and persists when the file is created.

Nov 22, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #4 of 28

hughwi

100+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by MCC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
snip...Hope this helps!...snip

Brilliant! That has just sorted out a problem I have been struggling with for the last few days. Thank you!

Nov 22, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #5 of 28

Al4x

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:

Originally Posted by hughwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Brilliant! That has just sorted out a problem I have been struggling with for the last few days. Thank you!

^ what was your problem?

Nov 22, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #6 of 28

MCC

1000+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by hughwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Great to hear! I wasn't able to find the solution anywhere on the internet so I solved it myself.
biggrin.gif

Al4x, if my suggestion doesn't help I'd try different versions of your drivers. I'd start by rolling back to the preinstalled graphics card drivers if you've updated them. This is only a troubleshooting step- the bundled graphics drivers probably won't take full advantage of your hardware performance wise.

Nov 22, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #7 of 28

Al4x

Headphoneus Supremus
my annoying laptop cant play games anymore anyway, [even the ones it used too] it overheats and shuts down :/

im pretty sure it didnt do it on the first install, thats my problem,

ive got default 2008 drivers from dell, as im unsure what else to use without issues

it hasnt spiked yet, but does it more when the comp is freshly started

Nov 22, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #9 of 28

MCC

1000+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cleaned out heatpipe fins?

Also a good idea. I clean mine out a few times a year.

Nov 22, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #10 of 28

Mad Max

Headphoneus Supremus
Also make sure the laptop is getting plenty of air. A cool to cold room with a ceiling fan may help, and make sure there is at least 1-2 inches of space between the laptop and whatever surface it is sitting on without whatever surrounding objects being to close to it. That should improve cooling a little bit,
as well as:
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cleaned out heatpipe fins?

Nov 22, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #12 of 28

MCC

1000+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is the only way to get to the fins taking it apart?

Depending on the laptop design you should be able to spray it with dust-off or the like from the outside such that the dust leaves the laptop. Be careful not to push it in further though.

Nov 22, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #15 of 28

Al4x

Headphoneus Supremus
i know to get to the internals, i have to remove the keyboard and power button plate [i can do that] its once inside im unsure on

i dont buy any more games, but the once i have i like playing :/

Users who are viewing this thread