winamp3
Aug 15, 2002 at 3:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

taoster

Headphoneus Supremus
the new winamp 3 is out.

it seems to be a little buggy still but i think its better then ever!!

anyone else enjoying the new winamp 3 as much as i am?

Aug 15, 2002 at 5:03 PM Post #2 of 13
Is it still in beta testing? It looks cool, one thing I want though is the ability to have more than one play list open at once so you could have say all your rock on one list and your easy listening on another and say all your songs on another play list and all open at once. That would be a nice feature IMO.

Aug 15, 2002 at 5:20 PM Post #3 of 13
I have been using it on and off for about 6 months, maybe longer....it does not sound as good as the original winamp with the MAD plugin or the Apollo player. It does look cool though, but the amount of cycles it eats up is ridiculous compared to the other two, and I run a dual Athlon beast with almost 4 gigs of ram...sure I don't see the performance drop but I do see what it eats and that is not good programming in my opinion. Winamp (original+MAD) it is for me!

Aug 15, 2002 at 5:24 PM Post #4 of 13
they released it from beta testing on the 8th apparently.

I personally hate the dam thing. I switched back to the old winamp (2.something). The new one is just bloated, I want simplicity dangit, I don't care about all those fancy new features which are cool for about 30secs before you realise they are useless. And when running a laptop, low CPU usage isn't just nice, it is critical to get good battery life.

This is coming from somebody who still uses the classic windows media player, so keep that in mind. If you have Win XP, type mplayer2 into the run box to get it... ahhh simplicity, and no excess memory useage!

Aug 15, 2002 at 5:41 PM Post #5 of 13
nah it sucks. they took away all the advanced settings. i mean... if you didnt understand them, you didn't have to touch them... and since i have 2 audio cards, and one of them has 8 outputs, its fairly useless to me. i guess if that isn't an issue you'll never notice though.

or maybe i just didn't look hard enough *shrug*

Aug 16, 2002 at 1:20 AM Post #6 of 13
okay, the reason why i really like the new winamp 3 is because of its internationlisation support. It's now able to play files with extended characterset in its path/name in the english win OS.

the idtag is pretty neat but too much work to get it working on all my collection.

plugins and skins will start appearing. i can only see it getting better.

Aug 16, 2002 at 1:53 AM Post #7 of 13
Check out Coolplayer, it's now using the MAD decoder also Sonique 2 Alpha is sounding pretty sweet.

Phil

Aug 16, 2002 at 2:06 AM Post #8 of 13
I love the fact that Winamp 3 can play videos.
Winamp 2 has way better skins (simplicity, not ugliness) but in time I'm sure Winamp 3 will have some good looking skins too.

So the verdict is: Winamp 3 for me!

Aug 16, 2002 at 4:27 AM Post #9 of 13
Why would u want to play videos with WinAMP anyway? You have
programs made *especially* for that, so why use a Audio file
playing software to listen to videos?!
confused.gif

Stick with older versions.

Aug 16, 2002 at 8:30 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by sapphiremodena
I love the fact that Winamp 3 can play videos.
Winamp 2 has way better skins (simplicity, not ugliness) but in time I'm sure Winamp 3 will have some good looking skins too.

So the verdict is: Winamp 3 for me!

You can play videos on the old Winamp with the MPEG Plugin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back