Winamp is um.. terrible?
Oct 27, 2002 at 10:53 AM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by pigmode
I've also had Winamp crash my computer several times after playing for close to an hour.

Several things could cause this, and the likelyhood of Winamp being at fault is next to nill (it is nill if you run any flavour of NT derived kernal). More suspect are your Directsound drivers or hardware configuration, be it IRQ routing or cooling.

I've ran various flavours of Winamp for 5 years without one related crash, and with MAD, the decoder quality is as good as it gets for now.

Oct 27, 2002 at 2:43 PM Post #18 of 31
Have you guys tried Winamp 3 final? I used 2.8 and beta's of 3 and thought the overall sound quality lacked compared to other players like Sonique, QCD and CoolPlayer with MAD decoder. When WA3 final came out I gave it a try and much to my suprise I've found it sounds better than any of the others. I've been using it now since the day it came out and have no problems with it other than the window disappearing occasionally when I change skins. I think this is more of a dual monitor glitch though so probably nothing most people would run into.

Oct 29, 2002 at 3:11 AM Post #19 of 31
I stay from winamp3 as far away as possible.
frown.gif
Not only its it a cpu cycle hog (i have a slower computer
wink.gif
) The decoder could possibly be one of the worst among many other decoders.

I am trying out coolplayer right now, its a neat little program that seems to does the job fine. Which codec do you guys use with this?

Has anyone tried my recommandation yet? UltraPlayer has some nice features in it and decoder is quite good. (See the first post in this thread for a download link).

Oct 29, 2002 at 3:40 AM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch

stuttering sound is the sign (to me at least) of a poorly setup computer. i never have any problems at all. my entire system dies before winamp quits playing heh. anyway, just my feelings.

i use version 2.81 now. 3 just sucks ass.

Yeah I know, I'm a Windoze loser. That's why I'm moving back to Macs.

Oct 29, 2002 at 7:40 AM Post #21 of 31
I don't understand how you guys do it, do you use x DSP plugins?
I can even run Winamp stable on my good ol' P150MHz SB Vibra 16. Perhaps you should worry a bit if Winamp v2.81 is buggy on a modern computer.

Oct 29, 2002 at 4:28 PM Post #22 of 31
I think Winamp 2.XX runs just fine using the Nitrane decoder. One thing you want to watch out for is bogus acts like Sonique, which uses a decoder that messes with the original signal a bit.

Here's an example of what's going on:
http://www.mail-archive.com/mp3encod.../msg02350.html

There have been other tests performed on the decoder that's been conclusive with this one's findings as well. I think a good question to ask when encoders sound 'better' than another one is 'Why?' because there really shouldn't be that much of a difference unless a bit of shananagans is going on with the decoding source MP3. Better sound is more likely to be found in the *encoder*.

I've also heard that Tony Millions likes to claim he wrote some of his modeling while 'on acid', but that's neither here nor there. I'm also sure most of you don't really care as long as it sounds 'good' as opposed to 'true', but that's what most of the newer encoder technologies will be pushing for. You'll be hearing the encoder more, but it'll sure sound 'nice'.

Oct 29, 2002 at 8:01 PM Post #23 of 31
Have any of you guys w/ WinAmp 2.x problems tried setting its priority to real-time? That really helped back when I had those problems on my old Win98 machine, and was done through the preferences menu, I believe.

Oct 29, 2002 at 8:30 PM Post #25 of 31
I didn't notice any adverse effects from it. Give it a try... it's easy enough to change back, if it doesn't work out.

Oct 30, 2002 at 12:09 AM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by ProtoCat
I think Winamp 2.XX runs just fine using the Nitrane decoder. One thing you want to watch out for is bogus acts like Sonique, which uses a decoder that messes with the original signal a bit.

Using Nitrane decoder with modern Winamps makes no sense, the use of using Nitrane was depleted loooong ago
smily_headphones1.gif

you need to update
wink.gif

Oct 30, 2002 at 12:10 AM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin
Have any of you guys w/ WinAmp 2.x problems tried setting its priority to real-time? That really helped back when I had those problems on my old Win98 machine, and was done through the preferences menu, I believe.

Realtime is far from a good solution to this.
Do you use out_wave or out_ds ?
Creative soundcard?

Oct 30, 2002 at 1:25 PM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by MTRH
Using Nitrane decoder with modern Winamps makes no sense, the use of using Nitrane was depleted loooong ago
smily_headphones1.gif

you need to update
wink.gif

Actually, they went to Fraunhoffer for at WinAMP 2.22 and then switched back to Nitrane v1.6. As of WinAMP 2.7 they began calling it 'Nullsoft MPEG Audio Decoder' (current decoder is v2.8a) after a re-write of Nitrane based upon some of FhG's stuff.

Another interesting thing is what Shoutcast used to be called. Notice it says 'ICY' when connecting streams? It's old name was a play on ICQ called 'I Can Yell'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back