WIN2K Upgrade Problems - HELP!
Nov 16, 2002 at 10:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

bubbaj

100+ Head-Fier
I stupidly ran Windows update on my Win2k system. I installed all critical updates and SP3. Now I can't load drivers for any CD ROM drives (including the new Plextor I just bought). Also I can't load a driver for the "Multimedia Video Controller". All devices worked fine before I did the update.

The error code from device Mgr. for the CD rom drives is:
"This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)"

The error code for the video controller is:
"The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)"

I've tried disconnecting, rebooting, reconnecting... nothiing works.

I'm considering sacrificing a virgin to the computer god.

Anyone have any ideas on how to solve this? Aside from the virgin idea, I'm getting ready to wipe the system and reinstall from the original CD.

Thanks
bj

Nov 16, 2002 at 11:11 AM Post #2 of 9
your first line of defense is www.sysopt.com. forums. search sp3.

hey at least you didn't hose your system. which you would have had you had a Promise disk controller card.

let's attack the video controller, first. you'll have to reinstall your video driver (or download & install the latest w2k/xp drivers), select your monitor type, set your resolution, set refresh rate.

the cdrom can be broken into two parts: 1] the wn32aspi.dll (search for ?32aspi*.*) or 2] a program has to be re-installed. like nero. if you have ADAPTEC or ROXIO - you may be hosed. (media player 9 uses the roxio plug in to burn cd's). since it's a Plexor - no way you have anything but NERO.

go to control panel -> system -> device manager. look at all your devices. what's under cdrom? if necessary highlight it, REMOVE, and reboot. reinstall nero. install nero updates.

you were NOT stupid for upgrading to SP3. your problem was that you did it all in one shot instead of upgrading every Tuesday.

Nov 16, 2002 at 3:27 PM Post #3 of 9
I don't have any drivers for the video card and I can't seem to find any for Win2k that match my card either at the Gateway site or the ATI site.

As far as CDROM drivers, they all use the standard ones that come with Windows so there is nothing I can install.

I posted a message on the sysopt.com site you suggested. We'll see what comes of that.

And I did have EZCD creator on my system. It was the cause of all these problems. It is currently uninstalled. I tried installing the NERO demo but it didn't help.

bj

Nov 16, 2002 at 4:42 PM Post #4 of 9
wallijonn,
Problem Solved!!
smily_headphones1.gif

It was the EZCD Creator screwing up the registry. Someone directed me to this kb article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;270008

I blew away the two filter entries and bingo!

Thanks for your response
bj

Nov 16, 2002 at 4:55 PM Post #5 of 9
Great for you, bubbaj!
biggrin.gif

wallijonn, whether the (retail-boxed) Plextor burners come with Nero or Roxio Easy CD Creator depends on which country you bought that burner from (or at). The Plextor burners sold in Europe come with Nero - but we Americans who buy Plextor burners have to settle for the Roxio crap.

Nov 16, 2002 at 5:14 PM Post #6 of 9
Remember too that you can back out updates using the Add-Remove Programs on the Control Program. I find that it is also useful to do a complete registry backup before I do any installs.

Nov 17, 2002 at 5:38 AM Post #7 of 9
congrads bubbaj.

so when can i expect that virgin? just kidding. i HATE virgins. give me a 30 year old woman that has been around the block 20 times and i'm a happy man ("forget about dinner - just take me to bed."
wink.gif
)

yeah, that adaptec software is a pain. it's been a pain since nt4.0. i always tell people to just buy nero and be happy. (wait for it to go on sale - no reason to pay the $50 - $80).

so what happened with the video? you own a gateway? what's on the install cd? you may want to do a search on cnet.com for sandra (probably sandra2002, now). it's a good diag tool.

Nov 17, 2002 at 12:43 PM Post #8 of 9
Sorry, the virgin is gone. The breakthru came just after the sacrafice.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I swear, the EZCD creator IS a virus! I tried to reinstall it again last night and when I tried to install the update it just GPF'd. I took it all off and that's it.

I've installed Nero and will probably buy it. The demo is good till the end of the year. When do they have sales?? I think they want $50.

One weird thing I noticed is that when I put a cd in the tray, windows explorer, sometimes it gives me a message like "Invalid format", or something like that. It may be when I switch between data and audio cd. I'll have to play around with it.

The missing "Multimedia Video Controller" driver? I don't know. It's still missing but doesn't seem to cause any problems so I'm not gonna bother.

That new Plextor 48X drive I put in is great. I copied an audio cd with it and once it read the original onto the hard disk the burn time was 2:17. I did a data cd that was almost full in 3 minutes and change. Just a little bit faster than my old 4X.

bj

Nov 17, 2002 at 1:30 PM Post #9 of 9
bestbuy & compusa sometimes have sales on them. i think i saw it for as little as $30. of course there's the delux version for $80, the middle version for about $65 and the low version for about $50. each one has more goodies, like mp3, label makers, record to mp3 mixers, etc.

search the web, even www.pricewatch.com (software section) may have a deal.

i obviously got my two with the burners. i won't buy a burner unless it has nero.
wink.gif

the invalid format id probably because there's remnants of old cdrom software (like auto detectors). definitely download www.jv16.org reg clean. do add/remove of all old burner software, then run the registry cleaner. reboot and you should be good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back