willsenton r8 tube integrated/amp/headphone amp
Nov 9, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #61 of 110
Nov 9, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #62 of 110
Too bad this amp is not a real headphone amp. To me it is the best looking amp I’ve ever seen and I’m sure it sounds great. I’d love to get one but having to add a bulky Raphaelite box to transform it to headphone, hiiiiii, not for me!
Totally agree. If I didn't already have the R8, I probably wouldn't get it since I don't listen to speakers at all. But I bought it without understanding its headphone out's limitations so I had no choice but to explore options to make it work and fortunately found an adapter box that works wonderfully for my purpose.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #63 of 110
I have the R8 but using it exclusively on speakers tho. The main reason I purchased this. Haven’t tried the headphone out yet wilst I have the ifi pro ican to handle my HPs. I came across this thread and got curious, and I may try this with my HPs on some occasion.

Attachments

• F7F4EC4D-106B-4A00-AD17-A6B79705CD66.jpeg
    F7F4EC4D-106B-4A00-AD17-A6B79705CD66.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Nov 25, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #64 of 110
Thank you. But I’m still wondering if the speakers are supposed to be silenced when the headphones are plugged in. Typically, one reason to use headphones is so the listener can play music without disturbing everyone else in the house or the neighbours. That is not the case with my amp. The speakers are just as loud when the headphones are plugged in, so I can’t listen to music late in the evening when others have gone to bed.
On my R8, the speakers were muted when I plugged in the headphone.

Jan 5, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #65 of 110
Hi I have attached one of these boxes...https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263439857894?fbclid=IwAR2CxIUCiqqknaFqXNFufYBBWH387Gi_eSTFG9daREOerroLOxwYkcpg6RQ

to the R8 speaker output to drive my Senn HD820s,it sounds much better.

Jan 25, 2022 at 10:10 PM Post #66 of 110
What tubes u guys have your R8 on?

I am currently running EH 6SN7EH gold pins, and Mullard EL34. Heaps upgrade from the stocks.

Mar 6, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #69 of 110
I think whoever said that the headphone out is running through solid state is incorrect. If you look at the wiring picture from the bottom there is a brown wire that connects to the board that goes to the output stages from the tubes. Furthermore, when you press the TR/UL button it makes the same sound changes that it makes with the speakers. Additionally, when I have put some noisier tubes in, it is definitely audible through the headphones.

I think the sound difference people are experiencing between the headphone jack and the speaker taps has more to do with output impedance and power. I compared this amp with my Woo WA-22, both with good tubes on the Woo (CV181 T2, NOS WE 421A, and WE274b replica on WA-22) and on the R8 (Sophia Blue KT88, Sophia Blue 6SN7, NOS Tung Sol 6SL7, and CV181T2). I also tried the R8 with CV181 Treasure 2, KT88 Treasure 2, as well as with PSVane EL34 PH Grant Fidelity select. The R8 is every bit as good sounding as the Woo WA-22 IMHO on my Abyss Diana Phi. Obviously there are slight differences in the sound depending on the tubes selected, but they are both fantastic and any differences could be adjusted using different tubes. In some ways, the R8 is better due to the higher output power, even through the headphone jack as compared to the HE adapter. So don't feel like you have to use the speaker taps. I don't think you can do any better for $1500. All that being said, I have not heard this with the stock tubes as I bought it used with the above really great tubes, so YMMV.

As for speakers, the R8 handily beat my Luxman L550AX on my Harbeth P3ESRs.

Attachments

• Black panel-05.jpeg
    Black panel-05.jpeg
    157.6 KB · Views: 0
Mar 6, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #70 of 110
I think whoever said that the headphone out is running through solid state is incorrect. If you look at the wiring picture from the bottom there is a brown wire that connects to the board that goes to the output stages from the tubes. Furthermore, when you press the TR/UL button it makes the same sound changes that it makes with the speakers. Additionally, when I have put some noisier tubes in, it is definitely audible through the headphones.

I think the sound difference people are experiencing between the headphone jack and the speaker taps has more to do with output impedance and power. I compared this amp with my Woo WA-22, both with good tubes on the Woo (CV181 T2, NOS WE 421A, and WE274b replica on WA-22) and on the R8 (Sophia Blue KT88, Sophia Blue 6SN7, NOS Tung Sol 6SL7, and CV181T2). I also tried the R8 with CV181 Treasure 2, KT88 Treasure 2, as well as with PSVane EL34 PH Grant Fidelity select. The R8 is every bit as good sounding as the Woo WA-22 IMHO on my Abyss Diana Phi. Obviously there are slight differences in the sound depending on the tubes selected, but they are both fantastic and any differences could be adjusted using different tubes. In some ways, the R8 is better due to the higher output power, even through the headphone jack as compared to the HE adapter. So don't feel like you have to use the speaker taps. I don't think you can do any better for $1500. All that being said, I have not heard this with the stock tubes as I bought it used with the above really great tubes, so YMMV.

As for speakers, the R8 handily beat my Luxman L550AX on my Harbeth P3ESRs.
I have two bookshelf speakers connected to nothing right now... I want one of these amps so bad..

Mar 7, 2022 at 1:17 AM Post #71 of 110
I am very happy with this downgrade and it is making me question a lot. I am selling my Luxman and WA22. Putting the funds towards some Magico A1s and maybe an LCD5. I really want to try the R800i with the 300b’s as well. Can’t go wrong with this one, especially if you can find a used one with already upgraded tubes.

Aug 12, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #73 of 110
anyone tried Gold Lion KT88 on this amp?

Sep 6, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #74 of 110
20220906_221404.jpg

Newcomer here driving Proac Response 1SC beautifully. I have tried my Dan Clark Stealth on headphone out and the result is surprisingly good!

Tubes rolled with NOS GEC KT88, driven by a pair of Mullard ECC32 and RCA 5691, CBS Hyton 5692 at the front.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back