Will we ever see new high impedance headphones?
Jun 3, 2014 at 4:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Utopia

100+ Head-Fier
It's been a few years now since we got the HD800 and T1, and it seems to me that all new headphones being released are planars or low impedance dynamics, like the Fostexs or K812. 

Do you guys think we'll see new high impedance headphones anytime soon? It would be great to see something like an improved HD650 or new flagships, to go with OTL tube amps and the like.

Jun 3, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #2 of 3
It's not as if the new models mentioned have been smashing commercial successes compared with the older ones. So unless high sensitivity + low impedance catches fire, I don't expect Senn or Beyer to change.

Jun 3, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #3 of 3
  It's been a few years now since we got the HD800 and T1, and it seems to me that all new headphones being released are planars or low impedance dynamics, like the Fostexs or K812. 

Do you guys think we'll see new high impedance headphones anytime soon? It would be great to see something like an improved HD650 or new flagships, to go with OTL tube amps and the like.

I would think the high impedance headphones are a very limited market, so there is not much incentive for headphone manufacturers to spend R&D money for big redesigns of their high impedance headphones.
I would think the best chance for them to make the most profit is a low impedance headphone that works well with iPhones/smart phones and iPods/DAPs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back