Will this work!
Jul 27, 2008 at 12:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

pants12

New Head-Fier
alright so i'm a headphone noob and just discovered my passion of audio clarity -- i chose headphones because of their audio reproduction capabilities similar to that of an amp/speaker combo that would cost 10 times more, and i usually get my serious listen on around 11-12 at night so i want to keep it discrete. there is a good chance i'll probably be purchasing AKG (k501, k601...~k701
biggrin.gif
) or one of sennheisers mid-high end audiophile cans like HD600's or so. But i hear you need to amplify these things, and an ipod ain't gunna cut close. I'm sorta on a budget and want to spend the majority of my money on the phones. I found an old ~'81-'82 Technics Japan SU-V9 stereo amplifier inh my basement, that works perfectly with a pair of old Bose shelf speakers and i want to adopt it to use as my headphone amplifier. It has the 1/4" headphone jack at front but i was wondering if an amp of that... "vintage" would be able to power the preceeding cans listed. Any advice/knowledge that could be applied to any aspect of this situation would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Ben.

Jul 27, 2008 at 2:23 AM Post #3 of 13

Uncle Erik

Uncle Exotic
That's a nifty piece of gear! I looked around and saw that it went for about $800 in 1981. Also, it has a phono pre for MM and MC cartridges, as well as what appears to be different cartridge loading. I think this is a high-end piece of gear and you're lucky to have it.

Anyhow, if they considered cartridge loading, they probably put a good headphone circuit in there, too.

Why not give it a try?

Jul 29, 2008 at 11:53 PM Post #4 of 13

pants12

New Head-Fier
so i'm pretty much in audio-nirvana right now, went to down the local home theater picked myself up a pair of audio-technica ATH-AD700 and their aweomse paired with that old amp! i've never listened to music like this before it's so intense! if it gets better than this...well i don't even know! thanks for the input guys
biggrin.gif
keep listenin'!

Jul 30, 2008 at 7:14 AM Post #7 of 13

Pricklely Peete

Franken modder
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're going to fit right in here pants. I feel great sorrow for your wallet.

Pants is a good fit
smily_headphones1.gif
...lol....

Peete.

Jul 30, 2008 at 7:57 AM Post #8 of 13

rti1000

New Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pants is a good fit
smily_headphones1.gif
...lol....

Peete.

Welcome Pants.... I'm new here too and I feel sorry for your wallet too. Within a month of being here I re-ripped all of my cd's with EAC and spent almost two grand on different headphones including a set of AKG K1000's that I'm getting ready to send out to be recabled. Add a Predator amp to keep me busy for a while until I make up my mind about a full sized amp...

wow.... I hope you aren't like me. I'm getting ready to glue my wallet shut.

Aug 4, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #10 of 13

pants12

New Head-Fier
thanks for the welcome guys
smily_headphones1.gif

yeah my wallets good and intimidated now...
I'm already dreaming about a SinglePower amp, meridian CD player and Jena Labs interconnects -- the list goes on and on but headphone listening seems to be wicked versatile and expansive so it'll always be interesting!
Cheers, listen on.

Aug 10, 2008 at 2:56 PM Post #11 of 13

moredes

Head-Fier
No offense meant--if you like what the Technics does for Bose speakers, you won't believe what you hear when you get your Singlepower. Take your wallet out, put it over your heart, and repeat after me.... after all, it's Sunday--

"et nomine patris, et fili, et spiritus sancti..."

Aug 10, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #12 of 13

PrTv

100+ Head-Fier
Like Uncle Erik said, give it a try!

Sometimes vintage hifi equipments really amazed me how good they sounded compared to gear these days. So I think it won't hurt to try.

You may as well read these threads:
Are headphone amps pointless..., and NAD Receiver beats LD MKIVse??.

Before buying a dedicated amp, I tried using my NAD C372 with Senn HD650, and found that my integrated was incapable of driving my phones properly, so I bought DV332 and discovered later that my phones sounded significantly better with a dedicated amp.

Aug 11, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #13 of 13

digger945

Headphoneus Supremus
Is your wallet in your PANTS?
I used an old NAD 1130 Preamp for a while and it didn't do too bad, it swings like 17volts or something. I really liked the buttons and knobs when I first started listening seriously.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread