will there ever be a good, simple portable solution
Sep 11, 2009 at 2:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

AndrewG

CAUTION: Incomplete trades
Aka: Boxboxbox
will there ever be a good music solution that carries large capacity flash memory, accepts any file type, doesnt need an external amp and has audiophile internal DAC? there is too much clutter in the options out there right now, every player out there has some compromise

Sep 11, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #6 of 16
I guess the gapless thing escapes me, since I don't listen to classical music. I do have some live tracks/CDs on the Amp3, but a little stop between tracks for a concert/live album doesn't really bother me. I know it's important to others. Also, the 3 fomats (.wav, MP3, WMA) will soon be joined by flac. No EQ is shared by HiFiMAN and Amp3. And it is that good, for the clear majority of owners.

Sep 11, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there any plans to work on the firmware to rectify this?

There is a new firmware update ready to go, being tested right now. It will not include gapless or an EQ, but it will add .flac to the mix of formats, and also will reduce hiss, one of the Amp3's critical issues.

Sep 11, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #8 of 16
Small notebook (netbook or OQO) + Echo Indigo or Pico fits your requirements, unless you want better portability.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
will there ever be a good music solution that carries large capacity flash memory, accepts any file type, doesnt need an external amp and has audiophile internal DAC?

Sep 11, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Small notebook (netbook or OQO) + Echo Indigo or Pico fits your requirements, unless you want better portability.

And if you can sacrifice battery life. Netbooks will get you maybe 6 hours if you dim the screen.

Sep 11, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #12 of 16
what do you mean with amp3? google was lost
smily_headphones1.gif
but i came across the cowon S9. I thought, that cowon players were always one of the best ones out there SQ-wise?

Sep 12, 2009 at 11:08 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well... no gapless, 3 file types, no eq... but im sure it is good.

Gapless is not the indicator of the hifi sound qualilty.

3 file type ( in fact it is four for the new version is support FLAC). is enough. for AMP3 can have a strong strength to run on even 192kpbs MP3 format. at 192k rate, AMP3 can repsents the lossless sound quality, it can save a lot of memory space for more files storage.

No EQ is not truth, for Hisoundaudio just disable other EQ funtions in AMP3. it only sets the EQ at the Neutral one. I guess Hisoundaudio think it is no necessary to have any more EQ functions. in fact AMP3 has proved the good capability to have a very wide and very good phones synergy.

No one can deny the sound quality of AMP3 without EQ is much better than most of the DAPs with a lot of EQ selections.

Sep 12, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ulsanman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Asus gives you ten hours

Never trust advertised battery life. They're very often highly optimistic, to the point that the only way to reach that is to do next to nothing with it using a dim screen. If you have one and it gives you that much, I'll be very impressed, and maybe get one for college! My laptop was advertised at 2-3 hours and only got 1.5 fresh out of the box when I did anything more than stare at my desktop wallpaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back