Will there be a PICO 2 amp some day ??
Dec 15, 2008 at 8:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

HeadLover

1000+ Head-Fier
I wonder, I mean there are some places I can think of tings to improve.
A DAC with 96/24 and better USB.
A stronger unit (more volume and bass so it will drive even the HD650 with out a problem to very high level)
RCA out. (not only line out)

And so on
(There are more stuff, didn't write it all here)

So, I want a PICO-2
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 15, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #2 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadLover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder, I mean there are some places I can think of tings to improve.
A DAC with 96/24 and better USB.
A stronger unit (more volume and bass so it will drive even the HD650 with out a problem to very high level)
RCA out. (not only line out)

And so on
(There are more stuff, didn't write it all here)

So, I want a PICO-2
tongue_smile.gif

- Volume level is not a problem with Pico and HD650, isn't it enough for you or you just never tried both together?
- DAC is already 24/96
- Pico's USB implementation arguably is one of the best available on the market today

Dec 15, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #3 of 26
The PICO can't get 24/96 - it is a well known fact! Volume level isn't enough, I feel the PICO start to "sweat" when using it with hard to drive headphones. BASS - could be better ! And, as for USB and the DAC, right now it get the power from the USB, this isn't such a good thing, I wish a new design so the DAC will get power from the battery to, and with a better clock (like the clock4) so it will have less jitter If it will have all of this, yeah it could be perfect
wink.gif

Dec 15, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #4 of 26
Headlover,

Can you explain this comment in more detail? "the PICO can't get 24/96 - it is a well known fact!" Justin says it's a 24/96 dac. Why is that a false statement?

Dec 15, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #6 of 26
So you want native 24/96 input, which the Pico receiver chip does not support. For the time being there are no portables that support 24/96 unless it is optical or coax, so I think that would be nice to add. Then watching DVD/DVD Audio or listening to hi-res downloads wouldn't require down-sampling by the PC before the DAC up-samples it again.

Dec 17, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #8 of 26
while you are using USB there will be no native 24/96. the dac IS native 24/96 but I2S cant supply that via USB so the pico upsamples to that/until someones works out a custom driver/protocol to allow this it will not happen

Dec 17, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #9 of 26
More amplifier choices are always welcome!
smile.gif

Who knows what Justin have up his sleeves though, except for the KGST which he have been working on for a while.

Dec 17, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #11 of 26
24/96 isn't a problem, you just pay the $20,000 for the license to use it. Since the need for 24/96 is so low anyway, it hardly seems worth the investment.

Dec 17, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadLover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the KGST ???

A Kevin Gilmore designed solid state/tube hybrid headphone amplifier, in family with the KGSS and KGBH.
Which are said to follow as soon as he finish the KGBH SE's...

Guess Justin have his hands full!
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back