Will the Sennheiser HD800s price ever actually fall?
Dec 22, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #61 of 76
Sure, no two headphones sound the same. Tone and timbre can be very individual, but two headphones could be as resolving without sharing the same timbre or tonality.
The tonality of the HD800S is very special, but that's not what I refer to when I ask about something that proofs the law of diminishing returns still works.
I could be happy with something with a different tonality if it was as resolving. But maybe that resolution is only possible with a certain tonality, I don't know.
Is there anything under 1000$ which is as detailed as the HD800S? I'm not talking about soundstage too, just the detail.
Is the Utopia as detailed as the HD800S? The only time I tried it I was stunned, but I seem to recall a very different sound. I don't remember if it was as detailed.
Short answer is no.
The 800 sounds extremely detailed because of two distinctive attributes: the extra energy in the treble as well as the extremely low distortion of the ring radiator drivers. The 800 is the only dynamic driver headphone I can think of with distortion numbers as low as a great planar magnetic. That’s the whole deal about the 800 (along with the treble quantity) and also why it takes to EQ like a champ.
The Utopia is on the same level detail-wise per my ears...but it’s also much pricier.
Then again if you ask me I find the HD600 to me more detailed in the mids compared to the 800 simply by way of tuning. Sure the 800 is far more technically proficient than the 600, but it’s also comes with laidback uppermids. I find it much easier to pick up midrange detail over the 600 because that part of the frequency response is more forward.
But for overall technical abilities there’s nothing cheaper that even comes remotely close the 800.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #62 of 76
I had a chance to try the DT880 600 ohm. I was so curious to compare it to the 800S.
I can see why some people may call it the "poor man's 800S". There is a sense of room, quite a lot of detail and the bass is on the lean side, for sure.
I'm not saying it is near the 800S, though. The 800S is way ahead on all fronts.
My ears troubled me after 2 minutes. The treble is harsh, very harsh.
After the DT880, the HD800S sounded like balm to my treble sensitive ears.

Feb 9, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #63 of 76
Not long after I posted this thread, the HD800s is finally discounted by $300 or £200 in the UK. That still makes it £1200 though, which is still very expensive compared to the T1 which came out alongside it and is now about £600.

All being said, I think I will wait another 7 years or so, and will snag a pair of HD800s when (I hope) it will drop down to £700 or less.

Feb 9, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #64 of 76
Not long after I posted this thread, the HD800s is finally discounted by $300 or £200 in the UK. That still makes it £1200 though, which is still very expensive compared to the T1 which came out alongside it and is now about £600.

All being said, I think I will wait another 7 years or so, and will snag a pair of HD800s when (I hope) it will drop down to £700 or less.
Lol seriously ? 7 years ? I don’t want to sound grimy, but I have known people who couldn’t even live pass 6 months until their birthday. So what I think is that every day is a blessing day

Feb 9, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #65 of 76
Lol seriously ? 7 years ? I don’t want to sound grimy, but I have known people who couldn’t even live pass 6 months until their birthday. So what I think is that every day is a blessing day

It's just a mental thing. I have many pairs of headphones in the £500 range, so have spent overall much more on headphones than the value of a single pair of HD800s, but I find it hard to spend that much money on a single item. Mostly because, I like variety so much that if I had a £1400 headphone, I'd want another £1400 headphone with the 'opposite' kind of sound signature (like a ZMF Aeolus) to the HD800s - and that would escalate things out of control monetarily.

So it's best for me to stick with mid-range headphones...

Feb 9, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #66 of 76
HD800S on sale everywhere for $1399.

Feb 9, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #67 of 76
Audioimpact.it has them for 1195€, which in my opinion is a really good price.
Since I bought the HD800S, I haven't been as interested in variety. I just stick to the HD800S, with sometimes a bit of the HD6XX for casual listening.
I've sold or I'm in the process of selling all the rest of my headphones.

Feb 10, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #68 of 76
Audioimpact.it has them for 1195€, which in my opinion is a really good price.
Since I bought the HD800S, I haven't been as interested in variety. I just stick to the HD800S, with sometimes a bit of the HD6XX for casual listening.
I've sold or I'm in the process of selling all the rest of my headphones.
Which are the rest of your headphones? Maybe I'm interested. I love to switch between my three headphones (HD 800, Sony Z7 and Denon AH-D9200) :L3000: :beerchug:

Feb 11, 2021 at 4:14 AM Post #70 of 76
Which are the rest of your headphones? Maybe I'm interested. I love to switch between my three headphones (HD 800, Sony Z7 and Denon AH-D9200) :L3000: :beerchug:
I've already gotten rid of Shure SRH 1840, Audio Technica ATH-R70X, Beyerdynamic T1 2nd and Grado SR 325e.
I only have these left: HD6XX (I'm not getting rid of those), Fidelio X2 HR (for the price I paid, I may as well just keep them for some casual listening too), Koss ESP/95X and Sennheiser IE800S (I guess these will stay, too).
I moved recently, so I haven't had much time to do anything about it, but I think I'll definitely sell the ESP/95X. I think they're great, but I just never use them after buying the HD800S.

May 7, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #71 of 76
LOL, my wait continues - they're back up to their regular price at £1400 whilst the MSRP of the Focal Clear (a much younger headphone and direct competitor to HD800s) has already fallen by a 1/3rd. And even before this, there was always a Focal Clear Pro that was basically the same as the Focal Clear, yet £400 cheaper. Why isn't there an HD800s Pro?

May 7, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #73 of 76
Well soundstage is what you want with the HD800s. In terms of something that has as good a soundstage yet costs less, doubt something will come out with those attributes until like 2050

May 7, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #74 of 76
I don't think the HD800S is only about soundstage. And I don't think the Clears sound as natural as the 800S. But this is just a matter of taste.
I've never seen the Clears as competing with the 800S. But, again, this is my taste.
The HD800S are worth their retail price. I can't say that about most headphones.

May 9, 2021 at 2:41 AM Post #75 of 76
It’s unfortunate you can’t enjoy a pair of HD800’s for 7 years of regular use rather than waiting for it to devalue in the market. Also because of its unique design (which pretty much applies to every headphone) there is nothing cheaper that can be substituted. The thing is many headphones that come to the end of their production run are sold at a heavy discount because demand is relatively low (most people who wanted the headphone have acquired one). I doubt this will happen to the HD800 due to its unique place in the market. If I am right then your only option will be to search for a used and abused early model which would in itself be another rarity as most owners take good care of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back