Will the Grado vs. Senn debate ever end?
Oct 29, 2004 at 3:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 70

chillysalsa

Headphoneus Supremus
I ask this because the board is full of things like:

Quote:

Dude1: I like Sennheisers, they are more neutral
Dude2: You must like rolled off highs... get Grados to hear the details.
Dude1: No, those give me Grado fatigue!

Ok... the debate is pointless, and it's tiring to see it going on again and again in this place.

Sure, Grados have a peak in the high frequency response, but a person prefering them or prefering Sennheisers makes no comment on their hearing ability. It speaks only to their preference on sound, and you can not possibily hear how they hear it considering everyone's ears are made differently and we interepret sound differently.

It's been argued that people that suffer from sensitivity to high frequencies will prefer Sennheisers, and people that have suffered some hearing loss in that range of hearing would prefer Grados. Sure, that may affect a person's preference, but one can never know how the brain interprets sounds and the way we identify what sounds good to us.

Oct 29, 2004 at 3:54 AM Post #3 of 70
i predict 86 yrs
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 29, 2004 at 3:59 AM Post #4 of 70
This is what Head-Fi is about: discussions (even pointless from someone's point of a view).
biggrin.gif

BTW apart of current gsferrari's thread, I would say this topic isn't hot nowadays, it used to be more frequent.
tongue.gif

Oct 29, 2004 at 4:00 AM Post #5 of 70
Ah man...and here I thought we were finally getting back to the old swing of things and you come and complain about it. Here is a heads up, free advice if you will, we all hear differently, we all like what we own, and debates are fun. As long as there is no mud slinging for the sake of hurting someone else, these debates are not only harmless but FUN!

Go read the recent RS-1 debate, read through it carefully. It was entirely in jest and everyone is having a great time with it. It is a hell of a lot better than getting all pissy over wires tangled this way or thay way vs. something that looks like a team of $5000/hour surgeons put together.

Frankly I enjoyed Head-fi when it was fun and these debates raged on. I personally hope they continue.

By the way, Grados smoke Senns
tongue.gif

Oct 29, 2004 at 4:03 AM Post #6 of 70
I'm not sure why those two headphones are debated. There are other brands ya know.
lambda.gif
eggosmile.gif
3000smile.gif
etysmile.gif
k1000smile.gif

Oct 29, 2004 at 4:04 AM Post #7 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
I'm not sure why those two headphones are debated. There are other brands ya know.
lambda.gif
eggosmile.gif
3000smile.gif
etysmile.gif
k1000smile.gif

Yeah but they suck
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 29, 2004 at 4:06 AM Post #8 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
Yeah but they suck
very_evil_smiley.gif

KSC-35 rules! KOSS=KING OF CANS!

Oct 29, 2004 at 4:09 AM Post #9 of 70
This argument isn't restricted to headphones. I've read a piece a couple years ago about how a online "discussion" usually develops

A: "I tried Item1 and really liked it."
B: "I don't like Item1 so much. I prefer Item2."
C: "Item2? No way, Item1 is better because (insert some reason)"
D: "You think Item1 is better because of that reason, but Item2 is better because of (blah). If you have a good taste (like me) you'll like Item2 better."
A: "Are you suggesting I have bad taste because I like Item1?"
B: "I'm saying Item2 is that much better. Item1 is inferior because of (reason)"
C: "You don't have enough knowledge/experience/exposure/whatever. (Listing information for the Item1)"
D: Questions the validity of wisdom given by C.
C: Defends himself, puts D down

Flame war ensues...there will be people trying to mediate two parties but the thread will head nowhere and there'll be plenty of people complaining about the hostility in the forum and ask the members to "take it outside."

I found this pattern to be pretty accurate over the years and unfortunately, I don't see how we can avoid it given the human nature and ego.

Oct 29, 2004 at 4:09 AM Post #10 of 70
Yeah, that debate will rage on to eternity, or until one of those companies goes down under.
Btw, Grados suck.
tongue.gif

I think Senns vs. Grados are debated most often because they are as polar opposites in terms of sound signature as two brands can be.

Oct 29, 2004 at 4:11 AM Post #11 of 70
Quote:

It will end precisely on the 13th hour of the 13th day of the 13th month.

Lousy Smarch weather!
tongue.gif

Oct 29, 2004 at 4:13 AM Post #12 of 70
hello? Koss? King of Cans?

But seriously, I thought the HD650 really did sound quite nice. It comes down to personal preference I agree. Even within the manufacturer there is so much variety you get camps that love the grado vs alessandro, rs-1 versus hp-1 versus ps-1, etc. i'm sure the same goes for the senn line, especially since the line is so huge.

i'm just glad there is so much variety to keep us arguing for years. and when the time comes that all the cans in the world are piled up, the KSC-35 will be king of the hill! Long Live Koss!

Oct 29, 2004 at 4:24 AM Post #13 of 70
Yes, its over! Because Sony already won the debate!
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2004 at 4:25 AM Post #14 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
i predict 86 yrs
evil_smiley.gif

Hahaha i know a similarly-aged "curse" that was just broken!!
SOX BABY!!!!

uh, oh yea, headphones are sweet. there, im on topic, happy?

Oct 29, 2004 at 4:29 AM Post #15 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
when the time comes that all the cans in the world are piled up, the KSC-35 will be king of the hill! Long Live Koss!

A few minutes in the "Blade Runner" movie you can see a Koss neon sign in that futuristic city. Good choice the director made for headphone of the future
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back