Will SoundMagic HP 100 headphones work well for all genres and nature recordings?
May 3, 2013 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

MrTheposter

New Head-Fier
I want to buy a good pair of closed headphones that will sound good without the use of amps and be comfortable to wear for a few hours at a time if needs be. The headphones will be used for listening to many genres including most types of rock (but nothing to heavy such as Death metal), Jazz, Blues, Country, folk and so on.

I will also use the headphones for listening to nature recordings e.g. waterfalls, rivers and birdsong in particular. For birdsong it would be nice to be able to hear all the many sounds from different birds which often happen almost at once and also have a good sense of where the sound is coming from if at all possible. E.g close, far, above, below, left, right. 

So far the SoundMagic HP 100's seem like they fit the bill for most things perfectly. I was looking at a few other headphones including the AKG K550 which is just about too expensive and it looked like it didn't fit everyone perfectly.

The thing I am most unsure of is how the nature recordings will sound. Can anyone give me advice on whether these headphones will be good for me or perhaps even something else instead.

Here is a short 3 minute clip you could use for reference for the nature recordings (I own the full album of this one). The sounds change dramatically over the 3 mins so if anyone does use it please listen to the whole thing before telling me advice on what headphone to get.
https://soundcloud.com/listeningearth/native-birdsong-of-new-zealand

Users who are viewing this thread

Back