will putting an amplifier between a monitoring output on an audio interface cause any delay?
Feb 10, 2018 at 3:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

brian235

New Head-Fier
Like the title says will putting an amplifier between a monitoring output on an audio interface cause any delay?

My friends current setup is audio interface -> headphones he likes to hear his voice through his headphones so he plugs his headphones into the audio interface his microphone is plugged into and it is also plugged into his pc so he can head his pc audio along with his voice on no delay so it isn't weird with your head, if you want an example of hearing your own voice with delay go to your microphone and have it play back on your headphones it will likely mess with your head. He wants to get high impedance headphones and will need an amp to get decent volume levels. Thoughts? will there be delay if an amp is added?

Audio interface is M-audio m-track cheap but he is on a budget.

https://www.amazon.com/beyerdynamic...7&sr=1-1&keywords=beyerdynamic+dt770+pro&th=1

The selling point for him is the cable on the 250 ohm headphones he wants the coiled cable on it the cable isn't detachable.

He is also thinking about these headphones https://www.massdrop.com/buy/akg-k7xx-massdrop-first-edition-headphones.

Thoughts on the headphones compared and the audio interface -> amp -> headphones vs audio interface ->headphones?

Feb 10, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #2 of 3
AFAIK an analog amplifier won't add any noticable latency. Latency issues generally come from the digital side- audio interface, PC & its usb interface, and software - I would recommend researching those for possible problems and solutions (for instance my laptop has horrible USB latency).

Feb 10, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #3 of 3
Like said above doubt the amp will cause any latency . The two headphones are different in many ways as the 770 is closed and the 7xx is open. The 770’s can be a little harsh in the treble for some and the 7xx’s are less so but more bass from the 770’s but the 7xx’s are not too light in the bass but not as much bass as the 770’s. With all things audio personal preference comes to play with what your friend likes. Myself I like the AKG’s more than the Beyers but like I said that is me I also love beets, asparagus,spinach and Brussels sprouts so taste has a lot to do with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back