Will portable audio ever get good?
Nov 30, 2001 at 4:21 PM Post #16 of 40
Rick, were you able to find a power adapter that will work with it? You'll need it to charge the battery. Against my better judgement, I have ordered one of them.

Can you tell me what the power requirements are for the AC adapter input? They should be written next to the jack.

Nov 30, 2001 at 4:37 PM Post #19 of 40
Do you know how many milliamps the adapter is supposed to deliver? It may not be listed near the jack, and could present a problem if the adapter you find doesn't provide enough current.

Nov 30, 2001 at 4:44 PM Post #21 of 40
Yeah, the manual is $5 from Sony parts, and stupidly I forgot to include it in my battery order, which has shipped. So if I want the manual now, I have to pay more for shipping than the cost of the manual.
mad.gif

Nov 30, 2001 at 7:19 PM Post #23 of 40
A Radio Shack power adaptor for the Sony 25S:

part# 273-1771 9V for products requiring up to 1500 mA current. $22.99

The size "M" plug is a perfect fit.

The unit sounds great out of the box w/ KCS 35's.

Nov 30, 2001 at 7:47 PM Post #24 of 40
I stopped by Radio Shack to see what they had. They also sell 300 mA ($9) and 800 mA ($14) adapters. I wish I knew what it required -- it would be nice to buy an 800 mA adapter for $14 if I don't need 1500 mA. But I definitely don't want to underpower it...

Nov 30, 2001 at 9:06 PM Post #25 of 40
I have sony d-ej925 I use as a transport in my portable rig,
before the dac I drove my stax 001s with it,s line out.
The player uses a battery saving mode that grabs data ,shuts down,reboots and so on , this mode is disabled when transformers are used.
I no longer use onboard batterys or the external pack,but a 5v
battery regulated to 4v[same voltage as 001]
This does improve the players sound,cleaner slightly more open.
Even without the power save mode the player consumes nothing
and I do not need 80hr playback anyway,the stax only runs for 10
on its pack.

On the subject of quality on the move,mp3 and solid state memory is a great product apart from ultimate sound quality,
I use a digital camera and they are memory hungery also but
things are moving on in leaps and bounds so pherhaps
soon cheap big memory will enable uncompresed storage
of our treasures at least that could take care of one bad link
in the chain by removing dependence on limited storage devices
and thus making it easier for smaller companys to concentrate on
the decoding and analog stages.
Obviously this is an oversimplification and there are a great
many potentialy expensive technical aspects on the R&D front.

pherhaps some one out there knows about this subject in greater
detail.

In my naiviety I would love to have ago at making something.

Oh no yet another project on the horizon,
frown.gif

Dec 1, 2001 at 2:13 AM Post #27 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by Russ Arcuri
I stopped by Radio Shack to see what they had. They also sell 300 mA ($9) and 800 mA ($14) adapters. I wish I knew what it required -- it would be nice to buy an 800 mA adapter for $14 if I don't need 1500 mA. But I definitely don't want to underpower it...

That D-25S requires at least the $14 800 mA adapter, (most PCDPs' AC-to-DC converters are specified at 600 mA), so you won't go wrong with it.

Dec 1, 2001 at 8:36 AM Post #28 of 40
Isn't Sony having that new PCDP coming out called the "Tea Ceremony" or whatever it was. It's suppose to be for audiophiles. It is sad to see that the consumer's demand has changed from wanting better sound quality to wanting longer battery and anti-skip. But think about it, we do want these things, but they are just not important to us compare to the sound quality. It is true that we are a minority, how many people do you see on the street using a portable-amp with his PCDP? None! They don't even know what it is! I'm glad to see that head-fi is getting more popular, this means that people are aware of the sound. But most of the new-comers come for an advise, and find out how ridiculisly expensive a full set of equipment can be (at least for them). It's not just the consumer, it's also what the companies are advertising, the price of the hi-fi products, and how people view it. People'd think that you're crazy if you spend $200 on headphones. If most people doesn't mind wearing the streetstyles, then what can you say?
frown.gif

Well, IMO, people NEVER did care about the sound quality of PCDP, think of it, if you have the Irivera sent back in time 10 years ago, it would be revolutionary, no one would care about how bad it would sound. The size, the price and the anti-skip stuff are the priorities for the mass-consumer, good sound is just an extra, they really care less.

Dec 1, 2001 at 3:28 PM Post #29 of 40
Quote:

Joe blow wants the smallest thing possible.

Well Joe Bloggs doesn't LOL
laugh.gif
I'm looking for good portable equipment to double as home equipment
smily_headphones1.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 1, 2001 at 6:53 PM Post #30 of 40
Dude, I saw people with the Boostaroo on a school bus trip to an art museum.... So, they *do* know what a headphone amp is, they just don't know a *good* headphone amp! I got my TA out, and I was like, "THAT is not a headphone amp! THIS is a headphone amp!" They all agreed. And at least three people had a religious experience with my DT831's.....

I watched the suckas like a HAWK after that....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back