Will playing garbage-quality lo-fi damage IEMs?
Nov 5, 2019 at 7:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ShakeThoseCans

100+ Head-Fier
Pretty basic question, I guess.

I was testing some IEMs with the original Quake (1995). It's fun for testing sound positioning.

However, the sound quality in games like that is abysmal. We're talking about 8-bit audio here, 22050 khz for some. Scratchy, boomy garbage tier.

My question is, can listening to this kind of material damage IEMs?

I noticed in one user-level for Quake, "A Roman Wilderness of Pain," there is a faint rendition of "Paint it Black" in the ambient background music. It sounds great on my IEMs, but of course the foreground noise of pixelated grenades exploding sounds harsh in comparison.

I didn't have any problems with my Tin Audio T2, which is good for games like this. But on my more expensive King Pro, which has a more powerful bass, the explosions and gunfire get boomy and bloated. So I'm wondering if there could be any negative effects on the IEM.

Nov 5, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #2 of 6
Pretty basic question, I guess.

I was testing some IEMs with the original Quake (1995). It's fun for testing sound positioning.

However, the sound quality in games like that is abysmal. We're talking about 8-bit audio here, 22050 khz for some. Scratchy, boomy garbage tier.

My question is, can listening to this kind of material damage IEMs?

I noticed in one user-level for Quake, "A Roman Wilderness of Pain," there is a faint rendition of "Paint it Black" in the ambient background music. It sounds great on my IEMs, but of course the foreground noise of pixelated grenades exploding sounds harsh in comparison.

I didn't have any problems with my Tin Audio T2, which is good for games like this. But on my more expensive King Pro, which has a more powerful bass, the explosions and gunfire get boomy and bloated. So I'm wondering if there could be any negative effects on the IEM.

It's hard to imagine any negative effects from listening to anything at safe volume levels. Your ears are going to be in danger far sooner than the IEMs most likely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back