Will order 555 or 595 today, HELP ME DECIDE!!!
Jul 10, 2006 at 8:19 PM Post #17 of 36

FIJI

Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 19, 2006
Posts
66
Likes
11
i would go with the hd595 as others have suggested. i have the hd555...they were my first somewhat hi-fi headphone, but they left me wanting more after a couple months cause i could just tell i wasn't getting the most out of my equipment with them so i upgraded to the k701's. i have never heard the hd595's, but after i bought them i always wished i had just got the 595's and that's not a good feeling. as far as comfort goes the 555's are a lot more comfortable than my grado sr-60's, but aren't as comfortable as the k701's, dt770's, or the hd600's to me. i'm not sure if the 595's have it, but on the 555's there is this little hard piece inside the ear that would always touch my ears and, while it wasn't "uncomfortable" just the fact that it was touching my ears bothered me. i find the larger, rounder size of the k701's and dt770's more comfortable.
 
Jul 10, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #18 of 36

plainsong

Headphoneus Supremus: Untie!
Joined
Dec 4, 2002
Posts
6,453
Likes
26
Quote:

Originally Posted by apostate
*sigh* everyone has different ears. Your ears, your opinion. I don't find them to be artificial sounding at all. There's no call to claim that everyone that likes them simply hasn't heard any better. Many have heard comparable (or supposedly superior) alternatives and still like/prefer them.

Ant



That's true, it's my opinion, so why can't I post it? In the early hype of these cans, I posted my thoughts, the good, the bad, and ultimately the very ugly. And that was that. It's just sad to see them come back into fashion because one group is allowed to recommend them, but the other group isn't allowed to say "Hold on, have you considered this headphone or that headphone first?"

That's all I'm trying to do.
 
Jul 10, 2006 at 9:58 PM Post #19 of 36

apostate

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 12, 2005
Posts
689
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
That's true, it's my opinion, so why can't I post it? In the early hype of these cans, I posted my thoughts, the good, the bad, and ultimately the very ugly. And that was that. It's just sad to see them come back into fashion because one group is allowed to recommend them, but the other group isn't allowed to say "Hold on, have you considered this headphone or that headphone first?"

That's all I'm trying to do.



Personally I don't have a problem with posting differing opinions, that's kind of the purpose of having an open forum. Everyone has different ears/tastes/etc. It's the implication that anyone that does like them are just idiots that don't know any better that bothers me. Posting about problems you feel the headphone has is different than questioning the capabilities of the people that do like them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
I hope the guys using this as their reference set get to hear some alternatives sometime. It's not the way music was ment to be heard.


 
Jul 10, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #20 of 36

RichardCory

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 1, 2006
Posts
332
Likes
0
I would say neither, but only because there are pertruding pieces of plastic in each cup of the HD5*5 which are needed to make space for the attachment of the headband:

lidlp64k3g524as.jpg


Although the HD595 sounded very good, the interior of the cups irritated my ears very much. Sennheiser calls those plastic wedges "acoustic reflectors," but that is a BS marketing gimmick. The part where the plastic comes up is exactly the same spot of the pivot joint between the headband and cups, and that is not a coincidence.

It's worth noting, however, that I have never seen any other person on this website complain about those plastic wedges.
 
Jul 10, 2006 at 10:19 PM Post #21 of 36

Chri5peed

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 16, 2005
Posts
3,611
Likes
12
The source they're plugged into makes a big deal too. For my part, my 595s are easily my favourite out of my everyday listening rig, the Juli:xf_mad:...


I like my A900s best portably out of my Zen or iAudio.

My 580s are probably a bit too laid back for my usual listening, Metal...
 
Jul 10, 2006 at 10:57 PM Post #22 of 36

plainsong

Headphoneus Supremus: Untie!
Joined
Dec 4, 2002
Posts
6,453
Likes
26
The reason that I worded it as I did is because (true, not all), but a few of the loudest hd595 supporters simply haven't heard that much to really judge. Not that I'm a walking encyclopedia of headphones myself, but it just wasn't hard for me to find something better.

On the flip side of that coin, I think these were made to be good headphones that weren't supposed to need thousands worth of source and amp to sound good, and tried to fill a gap of "go to the store, get a decent set of cans, and forget about it." To my ears, they just didn't get there.

As for my source, of course I'm a believer in synergy, but my source and amp really should be up to the task of the hd595, especially if they handle the hd650's with seemingly no problems (although I realize the hd650 scales up way past what I have in my sig).

I will say though, love or hate, give the hd595's time, one way or the other, burn in does have an effect, and even though I ultimately feel there's better, you have to take your time to get to the optimum hd595 sound.

My husband, who comes from the dt990 600ohm old old skool model that you can't even find a google image of anymore, made the comment when having a listen that the hd595s made everything sound like synths. He always tells it like it is, since headphones bore him, and I had to agree. He hit the nail on the head.

So that's two of us, but we live in the same house.
smily_headphones1.gif
 
Jul 10, 2006 at 11:35 PM Post #24 of 36

sacd lover

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 31, 2002
Posts
8,190
Likes
34
Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCory
I would say neither, but only because there are pertruding pieces of plastic in each cup of the HD5*5 which are needed to make space for the attachment of the headband:

lidlp64k3g524as.jpg


Although the HD595 sounded very good, the interior of the cups irritated my ears very much. Sennheiser calls those plastic wedges "acoustic reflectors," but that is a BS marketing gimmick. The part where the plastic comes up is exactly the same spot of the pivot joint between the headband and cups, and that is not a coincidence.

It's worth noting, however, that I have never seen any other person on this website complain about those plastic wedges.




If you try and wear the headphone pulled forward like most headphones you will have problems. If you wear them back the piece doesnt touch your ear. Moreover, if you look at the driver, its offset .... forward. To get the best alignment the headphone needs to be positioned back. The 595 is the most comfortable headphone I have ever used except for possibly the sony cd3000.
 
Jul 11, 2006 at 2:04 AM Post #25 of 36

granodemostasa

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 19, 2005
Posts
3,760
Likes
12
the 595 is actually an excellent can, not just a good starter's can. The headphone has a rather intimate presentation, with excellent dynamics and a first rate ability to image. yes, there are problems, i'ts rather thin sound in comparison to something like an AKG701 or 650 is noticable.
As for comfort, i've never had a more comfortable headphone out of the box than the 595. nevertheless, the 6x0 series does adapt to the head over time and ends up being more comfortable.
Break in is a must, but expensive amps and dacs are not.b they do scale up through a certain level... just not to the top like the 650.
 
Jul 11, 2006 at 2:10 AM Post #26 of 36

RichardCory

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 1, 2006
Posts
332
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
If you try and wear the headphone pulled forward like most headphones you will have problems. If you wear them back the piece doesnt touch your ear. Moreover, if you look at the driver, its offset .... forward. To get the best alignment the headphone needs to be positioned back. The 595 is the most comfortable headphone I have ever used except for possibly the sony cd3000.


Yeah, someone told me to do the same thing many months ago when I still had the HD595. Trust me, it didn't matter what I did with it. I have big ears that touch every the interior of every single headphone I have tried (HD580, HD595, HD650, DT880, & K701). The HD595 just had the worst texture and caused irritation.
 
Jul 11, 2006 at 11:36 AM Post #27 of 36

Chri5peed

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 16, 2005
Posts
3,611
Likes
12
Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCory
Yeah, someone told me to do the same thing many months ago when I still had the HD595. Trust me, it didn't matter what I did with it. I have big ears that touch every the interior of every single headphone I have tried (HD580, HD595, HD650, DT880, & K701). The HD595 just had the worst texture and caused irritation.


My friend had this problem with his AD900s. He took the pads off and put some cotton-wool in-between to move the drivers away from the ears.
 
Jul 11, 2006 at 5:51 PM Post #29 of 36

darknix

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 1, 2006
Posts
49
Likes
0
I just got my 595 five days ago, it sound really good to me.
And I got my LD2+ yesterday, hook the phone up and it got even better.
I love my first rig! (still, CDP and DAC would be next)
Get the 595~~~
 
Jul 11, 2006 at 6:05 PM Post #30 of 36

davve

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 25, 2005
Posts
217
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by darknix
I just got my 595 five days ago, it sound really good to me.
And I got my LD2+ yesterday, hook the phone up and it got even better.
I love my first rig! (still, CDP and DAC would be next)
Get the 595~~~




ordered them today, should get them tomorrow.
are you using the little dot 2 with the tubes?
with wich source have you connected the amp to?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top