will my (humble) set-up justify a pair of MS2s?
Mar 28, 2007 at 11:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

vaper

100+ Head-Fier
sorry for another "what should I get" thread.

anyhow, I love my kramer-modded ksc75s. my set-up is a 5G iPod (refurb) connected to a mini^fied PINT by an ALO Bling Bling. i listen to, primarily rock; classic, alternative, alt-country, acoustic, prog, etc.

I've found my sr80s to be way too harsh and my system seems to run out of steam before my akg501s can open up. plus, for me the sound stage of the 501s is too broad for what I listen to and they'd need more foundation than they provide.

the ksc75s, on the other hand, allow me to simply get into the music. there's a nice airiness to their presentation. please excuse me as I'm not really able to put into writing what it is that appeals to me about them other than to say that I find that I'm simply enjoying the music through them. with them, I'm able to listen to music, not just to the equipment.

but, thanks in part to head-fi, I find myself yearning for a higher level of satisfaction. I'd like to leave the rest of my set-up as-is for the time being, if possible. I've made ample use of the search function but I still wonder if I should get either the MS-1s, sr225s or go all out for a pair of MS2s? It's not about the total expenditure if that makes any sense so, for now it's about adding a new pair of headphones to my existing gear. (I plan to put the sr80s and k501s up for sale after I reach the 50+ post level). From what I've been able to read about the alesandros, the MS2s really appeal to me but not if my gear won't adequately handle them. I'm sure that I'll eventually upgrade the rest, but for now, as I have a [wonderful] wife, i can only get away with adding one new part of the puzzle. help me upgrade.

Mar 28, 2007 at 12:01 PM Post #2 of 29
In my experience, the MS-2's are surprisingly easy to drive. So far they have sounded good with anything I've plugged them into. Including a measly iPod Nano.

The only thing that needs to be said about the sound quality of MS-2's is: sweet.

MS-2's will undoubtedly benefit from high quality source and amplifier but they are nowhere near as demanding as the juice-draining AKG K701 or Sennheiser HD650.

Edit:

The only exception has been my M-Audio Transit USB output jack. The MS-2's just don't like it at all. The bass disappears completely. But putting a LDM+ in the middle solves the problem.

Mar 28, 2007 at 12:08 PM Post #3 of 29
do remember that the MS2i comes with a 1/4" plug and for lots of ppl (but not for me in fact) isn't very stable on the head due to its weight, so if you are planning to use it portably, I would advise against the MS2i (will get pretty bulky with the additional adapter)

I think that the MS1 with 1/8" plug would be slightly better suited for your use.

I haven't tried my MS2i with my small portable amps (PengAmp/Cmoy and LDM+) as I do not have a 1/4"-1/8" adapter, but they do scale more with my HeadFive than the SR-60 which makes me think they would appreciate a better amp more than the MS1... keep in mind this is purely extrapolated info which is not based on hearing the precise setups you are inquiring about and also all in my ears etc...

Mar 28, 2007 at 1:19 PM Post #4 of 29
Well; speaking just for me, and just using my ears and my system as an example I can only mention what I hear. And if you've used the search function; then you've read my comments all before! But here goes anyway!!

And this may be brutally long, sorry,
frown.gif
but here goes.

I dunno bout the SR-225, but I do have the MS-1 and MS2i for phones and an older Onkyo receiver that does a good job with both my high impedance HD600s and my low impedance MS2i. I also have a first or second generation DVD/CD player which is built like a tank and weighs a ton, as my source. So that's what I'm listening to, and with.

Now for the cans:

The MS-1 are a great set of phones, they are lightweight and sound great. They are also addictive to me as the sound I heard from them is really well matched to my speaker system which I built over many years and is just what I wanted in a speaker system. Except our new house has a totally sucky listening room which negated much of the value of the speakers.
frown.gif

But the MS-1s sounded almost as good as the speakers, but with even better detail and a few other good things. Almost as good.

MS2i seemed to be the answer. And this is where the fun part came in; for me.

Here's what I hear:

The MS2i are heavy, by the way. It takes a while to learn to live with them and a strong desire to fight through the original discomfort that many folks experience. You even have to learn new head-bobbing techniques! And yup; these babies induce heavy head bobbing and foot stomping! I learned to bob side to side, and transfer some of that energy to more violent foot stomping!!

They sound very pleasant, no ugly notes to be found here. Everything the MS-1 does, the MS2i does better. "Bigger" and better soundstage, better retrieval of detail with smother mids, deeper and better controlled bass, and highs which are extended beyond that of the MS-1 which may give the impression of slight brightness when compared to MS-1 and, from what I understand; even MS-Pro. (but we don't wanna talk about MS-Pro at the moment.....I said that these things were addictive.
frown.gif
)

So yup, the MS2i are "better" than MS-1 in SQ, but only if you add in the value of the better materials and workmanship. They don't "sound" as though they should cost maybe three times as much, but when you add in the housings and headband and stuff; then in my opinion they become almost a bargain!! Mine were beautifully made and absolutely flawless!

"I" have a few problems with the MS2i though, compared to MS-1. I love my MS-1s, don't get me wrong, and when I'm on computer and trying to type with MS-1, no problem, but with MS2i, forget it! The MS2i drags me into the music too deeply! I'm slowly learning how to "ignore" them somewhat while typing or reading, but it ain't easy! I still use my MS-1s more often when on the computer for that reason. But the MS2i have a way to pull me in that's almost magical! I don't know if John learned it from Joe or John figured it out for himself, but one of those guys has a secret and between John and George, they put it in MS2i!!

And one more thing; and for this I have to call up my feminine side, or maybe it's cause I'm half Italian; I dunno. But these darned cans make me CRY! My MS-1 don't and my HD600s don't and before my wife stole them for her iPod, my KSC75s didn't either! But on lots of songs I have to keep the Kleenex tissues really handy! They also make me laugh when something is unexpected in a number! With the other cans I hear it and that's cool, but with the MS2i these sounds are just so well displayed that they pop out well enough and I just let go with a chuckle or a "woah" or a "neat" or something like that. It's really fun. These phones really play to "my" emotions and they know just how to do it too!

We speak a lot here about synergy. And I suspect that that's just what it is. For some reason my system and me just hit it off perfectly! I'm sure this doesn't happen with everybody though. So YMMV really applies here I'm sure. It's as though John and George, and maybe even Joe got together and said: "Lets make a perfect set for Rich and his silly system"! And they did! It may not work as well for everyone else.

And it's part of what scares me about MS-Pro. I may not end up with everything matching so well.
frown.gif

.....they sure are pretty though!
rs1smile.gif

Mar 28, 2007 at 1:44 PM Post #5 of 29
The limitation in any audio system is the trasducer, later on you can upgrade the rest all what you can, and if you already have the good trasducers you will be rewarded more....I would say, go for them...

Mar 28, 2007 at 1:52 PM Post #6 of 29
No doubt about it the MS2 is an outstanding headphone. Somehow I can't help but wonder if your money wouldn't be better spent on an amp so you can get the most out the headphone you already own?

- augustwest

Mar 28, 2007 at 2:59 PM Post #7 of 29
My thoughts...

That pint is a very god amp IMHO. One of the best portables under $250. IMHO you'll need to spend a considerable amount of $$$ on a desktop amp to really get the K501 to sing . And even then, Amping won't completely transform the K501. It will always have a broad-open soundstage, and it will always bee shy of bass impact.

A few options....

-Just get the MS2, they are around $300.

-Sell the K501 (since it seems you don't really like it much anyways) for ~$110, that'll free up over $400 for an RS2 (used).

-Sell the pint for around $115, that'll leave $415 for a really nice M^3 or PPA with bass boost + STEPS, which will really pump up the K501.

I think it ultimately boils down to just how much you like the K501.

Mar 28, 2007 at 4:30 PM Post #8 of 29
as far as asset allocation goes, I plan on selling the sr80s and k501s rather than attempting to build a system around them.

portability is not a concern as my listening is done at home plus I'll always have the ksc75s

and, in due time, I plan to upgrade the rest of my gear but for now, I'd rather
get a hp thats a keeper.

also,in an email response to an earlier inquiry, alessandro says that they can custom build the MS2s with a 1/8" plug at no additional cost.

thanks for all of your responses.

Mar 28, 2007 at 5:10 PM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by vaper /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Also,in an email response to an earlier inquiry, alessandro says that they can custom build the MS2s with a 1/8" plug at no additional cost.

Do they really! I didn't know that!!

I would suspect that that would add somewhat of a delay to the shipping since I would guess that would be accomplished at Grado rather than at Alessandro....but wadda I know!

That's a cool thing though! Good to know!!

....now I wonder if they could custom build some MS2i with the "probably the same cost to make a housing out of wood as out of aluminum ,....."
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 28, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

....now I wonder if they could custom build some MS2i with the "probably the same cost to make a housing out of wood as out of aluminum ,....."
very_evil_smiley.gif

but they still 'wooden' be the MS Pros that we all know you'll eventually have to get.

Mar 28, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do they really! I didn't know that!!

I would suspect that that would add somewhat of a delay to the shipping since I would guess that would be accomplished at Grado rather than at Alessandro....but wadda I know!

That's a cool thing though! Good to know!!

very_evil_smiley.gif

x2...

You might want to consider just getting a senn adapter for $6, or the Grado one for $19... rather than delaying shipment for a custom order. That in theory could add several weeks to the order, depending on availability. George Alessandro doesn't really make the headphones, they still come from John's basement factory in Brooklyn.

Mar 28, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by vaper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but they still 'wooden' be the MS Pros that we all know you'll eventually have to get.

Uh........

....Grrrrrrrr.
mad.gif

tongue.gif

Mar 29, 2007 at 2:10 PM Post #13 of 29
Did it. Just ordered a pair.
tongue.gif
Now comes the dreaded 'waiting for the package to arrive' phase. They are in stock, I'm told, so they should get on their way soon.....

Mar 29, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #14 of 29
I've still got nose prints on the front glass and butt prints on the front porch from waiting for mine!

It was good; though. I aged much more slowly during those long long days!

....it all balanced out though, the CDs now pass Much faster since they're so much more fun!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back