Will KSC-55's peacefully co-exist wit HD595's for use as portable (knock-around) use?
Jun 15, 2004 at 1:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

violeta88

500+ Head-Fier
I currently own DT231's and am looking for a really cheap headphone that has a bit more bass but isn't quite as bright as the DT231's. I have a pair of PX100's but I've found they're too dark for me, and I've found that they don't have enough detail for my tastes. I love the sound of HD497's, but they are a bit too expensive since I'm getting HD595's in August. What I'm wondering is if they sound good enough to co-exist with the 595's, or will they just become another member of the headphone graveyards once I have the 595's in possession? I'd appreciate any thoughts any of you might have. Thanks in advance!!

Jun 15, 2004 at 1:24 AM Post #2 of 9
If memory serves me correctly, the KSC-55's were not as dark as the PX100 but didn't offer more detail. It's been a while since I've heard them though, and I didn't spend a lot of time with them.

Jun 15, 2004 at 1:31 AM Post #3 of 9
I'm not sure if it's actually detail that I'm missing on the PX100's, I actually think they just sound funky to me for some reason (probably the dark quality of its sound). I'm not as much of a detail freak as a clean treble and quick, substancial bass freak. I know I liked the KSC-50 and the UR-40 so the chances are that I'll like the KSC-55, but I'm just wondering if it will be a total POS in comparison with the HD595's.

Thanks,
Eric

Jun 15, 2004 at 1:32 AM Post #4 of 9
dude spend alitte more money and get the ksc-35. its the best souding $30 headphone i ever heard in my life. work wonderfully as portable too, when there isnt too much noises around.

Jun 15, 2004 at 1:33 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by violeta88
I'm not sure if it's actually detail that I'm missing on the PX100's, I actually think they just sound funky to me for some reason (probably the dark quality of its sound). I'm not as much of a detail freak as a clean treble and quick, substancial bass freak. I know I liked the KSC-50 and the UR-40 so the chances are that I'll like the KSC-55, but I'm just wondering if it will be a total POS in comparison with the HD595's.

Thanks,
Eric

Well, a lot of headphones could be considered POS's when compared directly against the HD595... I'd go for either the KSC-55's or the PX200's the PX200's require a good seal to have a lot of bass though.

Jun 15, 2004 at 1:35 AM Post #6 of 9
Many of the koss portable headphones use the same driver as the KSC-55, including the KSC-35, KSC-50, and Porta/Sporta Pro's.

They all sound dark to me with a huge hump somewhere in the mid-bass. They are dark headphones, but I never heard the px-100, so I cannot compare them to the px-100.

Read reviews about the various koss models. Different fits and styles affect the way the koss headphones perform. For example, most people think the KSC-35 clip-on is the most balanced model of the bunch. The Porta Pro's usually run a little more bassy in comparison to some of the other koss portables.

Jun 15, 2004 at 1:42 AM Post #7 of 9
I'm probably going to end up going with the KSC-55's since they're a bit cheaper yet still fit securely. Thanks for the help!
biggrin.gif

Jun 16, 2004 at 7:35 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by violeta88
What I'm wondering is if they sound good enough to co-exist with the 595's, or will they just become another member of the headphone graveyards once I have the 595's in possession?

A lot of times, when you talk about cheaper cans co-existing with expensive ones, you are talking about matching. I'll come to this point in a while. Most of us here have more than one pair of cans. If there is one that shines, wouldn't you be on that ALL the time? Nope, it's about matching various requirements. And matching equipment.

I'll never run my DT431s on the pioneer CDP (PD802) with Nordost cables, since the overly bright nature of everything combined will overwhelm my poor ears. so, I use the CDP for speakers setup (Tannoys). The DT431 goes with a super old PCDP (sony D-E805) with monster cables (rolls off the highs) and takes the siblance down a notch. I use the Senn PX200 at work with the MP3 (muvo2) since I really dun want to reveal the source (mp3=weak) too much, since there's not much detail. The PX200 has a very fat mid range, so I personally think it's good for voices, which I listen to when I have to work.
smily_headphones1.gif
And I can't quite use the DT431 in the office for fear of looking like princess Leia.

So, co-existance? Definitely.
wink.gif

Jul 26, 2004 at 7:47 AM Post #9 of 9
KSC-50 has decent sound quality. Compared to ear buds that come with PCDPs it is a huge improvement. Compared to my K501, it sounds kind of muddied and veiled. Not bad at all for its price, but relative to HD595, which may even be a tad better than K501, it is in a totally different league. KSC-50 will not be a piece of crap in comparison, just minor league vs. major league though. It's cheap, it's handy, still worth a try IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back