Will inserting a earphone/headphone into an amp with volume knob not at zero cause electrical surge and damage?
Jun 22, 2020 at 10:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

baskingshark

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi, would like to defer to the advise of our friends here about the above question?

Would inserting a earphone/headphone with a running amp (not at volume zero) cause some electrical surge and damage equipment? Would it be better to turn off the amp/put volume at zero?

For that matter, does turning on and off equipment regularly cause electrical surges too and "wear and tear"?

Jun 23, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #3 of 5
Hi, would like to defer to the advise of our friends here about the above question?

Would inserting a earphone/headphone with a running amp (not at volume zero) cause some electrical surge and damage equipment? Would it be better to turn off the amp/put volume at zero?

For that matter, does turning on and off equipment regularly cause electrical surges too and "wear and tear"?
Well, with well-designed equipment (and assuming you are not exceeding the power handling capabilities of the transducer) nothing should happen. I am assuming nothing is playing and the amp is only powered on.

Jun 23, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #4 of 5

I had an amp (burson) which didn't like insertion of SE plug while it was on. It was triggering some kind of protection and clicking noise.

Jun 23, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #5 of 5
I had an amp (burson) which didn't like insertion of SE plug while it was on. It was triggering some kind of protection and clicking noise.
So that wasn't working as it was supposed. When you have some of those amps you have to be careful when you insert anything into them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back