Will inserting a earphone/headphone into an amp with volume knob not at zero cause electrical surge and damage?
post-15694381
Post #1 of 5

baskingshark

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Hi, would like to defer to the advise of our friends here about the above question?

Would inserting a earphone/headphone with a running amp (not at volume zero) cause some electrical surge and damage equipment? Would it be better to turn off the amp/put volume at zero?

For that matter, does turning on and off equipment regularly cause electrical surges too and "wear and tear"?

post-15694767
Post #2 of 5

Speedskater

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Well I do it all the time (insert headphones) but the volume is at a reasonable level for the headphones.

Reactions: baskingshark
post-15697094
Post #3 of 5

KeithPhantom

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Hi, would like to defer to the advise of our friends here about the above question?

Would inserting a earphone/headphone with a running amp (not at volume zero) cause some electrical surge and damage equipment? Would it be better to turn off the amp/put volume at zero?

For that matter, does turning on and off equipment regularly cause electrical surges too and "wear and tear"?
Well, with well-designed equipment (and assuming you are not exceeding the power handling capabilities of the transducer) nothing should happen. I am assuming nothing is playing and the amp is only powered on.

post-15697120
Post #4 of 5

Marutks

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
I had an amp (burson) which didn't like insertion of SE plug while it was on. It was triggering some kind of protection and clicking noise.

post-15697130
Post #5 of 5

KeithPhantom

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
I had an amp (burson) which didn't like insertion of SE plug while it was on. It was triggering some kind of protection and clicking noise.
So that wasn't working as it was supposed. When you have some of those amps you have to be careful when you insert anything into them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)