Will IEMs stay in my ears?
Mar 5, 2008 at 9:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

indysmith

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 7, 2008
Posts
305
Likes
0
Hi, I've been thinking about getting some Super.fi 5 pros...
But i have a dilemma as no 'earbuds' have ever stayed in my ears, and I've never tried and IEMs before, always opting for full size headphones.
I realize though, that IEMs are designed to go deeper into the ear canal, so perhaps they should stay in better?
Has anyone ever bought some IEMs that didn't fit? Has anyone ever not got on with earbuds, but been able to use IEMs?
Thanks a load.
 
Mar 5, 2008 at 9:42 AM Post #2 of 18

Lifter59

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 28, 2006
Posts
164
Likes
23
Location
83642
Quote:

Originally Posted by indysmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, I've been thinking about getting some Super.fi 5 pros...
But i have a dilemma as no 'earbuds' have ever stayed in my ears, and I've never tried and IEMs before, always opting for full size headphones.
I realize though, that IEMs are designed to go deeper into the ear canal, so perhaps they should stay in better?
Has anyone ever bought some IEMs that didn't fit? Has anyone ever not got on with earbuds, but been able to use IEMs?
Thanks a load.



IEM's are far easier to retain in your ears because they sit in the canal portion, rather than just hook into your outer ears. Most brands of IEM's come with a vast assortment of different size and materials of foam, silicon, etc. that will allow you to customize the fit just the way you want it.
 
Mar 5, 2008 at 12:04 PM Post #3 of 18

pez

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 30, 2007
Posts
2,192
Likes
23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lifter59 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IEM's are far easier to retain in your ears because they sit in the canal posrtion, rather than just hook into your outer ears. Most brands of IEM's come with a vast assortment of different size and materials of foam, silicon, etc. that will allow you to customize the fit just the way you want it.


x2. Also, if you do a flip-side mod it will make the SF5 pros more flush in your ears and won't stick out so much...and it gives a better fit, IMO. Here's a picture and directions for it. Ultimate Ears - super.fi MOD
 
Mar 5, 2008 at 1:02 PM Post #4 of 18

intoflatlines

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 13, 2007
Posts
3,300
Likes
11
I hate earbuds. They don't stay in my ears and are very uncomfortable and somewhat painful. IEMs, on the other hand, are very secure and very comfortable. They also provide a great seal which greatly reduces external noise and requires that you turn up the volume less. Of course, this is all my personal preference, and others will feel the exact opposite.
smily_headphones1.gif
 
Mar 5, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #5 of 18

yxmees

Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 12, 2006
Posts
75
Likes
10
Earbuds and IEMs are 2 very different types. Earbuds should go into those cavities ears have before earcanals. Unfortunately many people don't have those, hence your problem. IEMs go into your earcanal, all people have those, so the only question is the diameter of your earcanal, which tips fit most comfortably.
 
Mar 5, 2008 at 3:00 PM Post #6 of 18

Elluzion

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 29, 2007
Posts
1,510
Likes
17
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2. Also, if you do a flip-side mod it will make the SF5 pros more flush in your ears and won't stick out so much...and it gives a better fit, IMO. Here's a picture and directions for it. Ultimate Ears - super.fi MOD


What does it mean by flip flop the wire and the driver unit? do they mean to sswitch the L and the R when wearing it over your ears?
 
Mar 5, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #8 of 18

intoflatlines

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 13, 2007
Posts
3,300
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elluzion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What does it mean by flip flop the wire and the driver unit? do they mean to sswitch the L and the R when wearing it over your ears?


Kind of. The SF drivers aren't shaped exactly the same, unlike some other IEMs. This means that you can basically tell which driver goes in which ear by the shape alone. Many people find that if you remove and switch the wires, plugging the left cable into the right driver and vice versa, it is more ergonomic.
 
Mar 5, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #10 of 18

indysmith

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 7, 2008
Posts
305
Likes
0
Thanks guys - sounds like I'll be alright with the Super.fi's then. I'll let you know what i think of them
smily_headphones1.gif
 
Mar 5, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #11 of 18

dr dougie

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 11, 2008
Posts
132
Likes
10
So yes earbuds and IEMs are very different, and there is a wide variety of IEMs too. Some have the wire loop back over the ear (like Super.fi 5) and some even have a wire or clip to hold them on (for playing live or just because they're big) and smaller, lighter ones can go straight in and are held by just the tip. Personally I think the little light ones that don't go over the ear are the easiest to deal with.

You'll usually need to play around with tips to get a fit and a good seal with any IEM and the tips that work on one might not work well on another. If you do this for awhile you'll have 100+ tips in no time hah. And yes if often happens, with the over ear ones especially, that some people just can't get some to fit them well.
 
Mar 5, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #12 of 18

appophylite

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 14, 2005
Posts
2,447
Likes
14
I have yet to find a pair of earbuds (I have not tried Yuin's line yet), that stay hooked in my ear. That said, as several people before me have already mentioned, with IEMs, you usually just have to find the size (small, medium, large) and type ear pieces (silicon, foam, custom) that fit your canals.
 
Mar 13, 2008 at 9:37 AM Post #13 of 18

indysmith

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 7, 2008
Posts
305
Likes
0
Hello, just as an update, I've ordered some used Super.Fi 5 Pro's from antonyfirst. I was really really looking forward to giving them a go, until yesterday when my friend asked me to listen to this Aphex Twin song, and he handed me his IEMs (some shure ones, not sure which). Anyways, the tips seemed to be a pretty standard size for IEMs - just like all the other ones I'd seen. The bloody things WOULD NOT stay anywhere near my ears. they just wouldn't fit into my ear canal - i could have used a mallet and they wouldn't get in. They just kept falling out. So I'm really hoping i don't have the same problems with the super.fi's!!!
Or you guys will have a lot to answer for
wink.gif
 
Mar 13, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #14 of 18

pomme de terre

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 10, 2008
Posts
214
Likes
11
Thats weird because Shures tend to have a good fit partly because they have a longer tube portion that goes deeper into the ear canal. If they didnt fit you Im not so sure about the SF5... Which Shures did you try? (what color and shape were they?)

My friends SF5's fit is far from being as good as my Shures... even with the flip mod and using Shure olive foam sleeves. They dont go very deep in my ears and I couldnt get a good seal with any of the rubber tips that came with the SF5. Lets hope you dont have the same problem
 
Mar 13, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #15 of 18

appophylite

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 14, 2005
Posts
2,447
Likes
14
Quote:

Originally Posted by indysmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello, just as an update, I've ordered some used Super.Fi 5 Pro's from antonyfirst. I was really really looking forward to giving them a go, until yesterday when my friend asked me to listen to this Aphex Twin song, and he handed me his IEMs (some shure ones, not sure which). Anyways, the tips seemed to be a pretty standard size for IEMs - just like all the other ones I'd seen. The bloody things WOULD NOT stay anywhere near my ears. they just wouldn't fit into my ear canal - i could have used a mallet and they wouldn't get in. They just kept falling out. So I'm really hoping i don't have the same problems with the super.fi's!!!
Or you guys will have a lot to answer for
wink.gif



If the IEMs you've ordered still don't fit your ears when they arrive, it might be that the tips are the culprit. Trying different tips on the end may help out immensely. When I got my HA-FX66, I remember a good number of people stating that they stuck with the default medium size silicon tips or upped to the large size or the foam inserts. None of those three tips would keep the drivers in my ears and I actually found that the small size tips were the most ideal for my ear canals. Some people also tried Shure's olive foamies on either these or the Marshmallows, if memory serves correctly, and I look forward to trying that out and possibly getting a better fit for myself. There are lots of different styles of tips out there and it may just be a question of finding the right type and size of tip for the IEMs.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top