Will I like the AKG K142HD's?
Nov 20, 2011 at 8:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Dirtyworks

New Head-Fier
I'm not one to buy super expensive cans - I have modded Sennheiser HD428's, Klipsch Image S4's and the terrible Corsair HS1A's. However, I do like decent sound quality. I love my HD428's, but I wanted to try something new. I ordered the AKG K142's on sale for $99CAD. I already have a decent sound card and portable - Creative Titanium HD and SanDisk Sansa Fuze+.

Nov 20, 2011 at 8:06 AM Post #2 of 9
I like them a lot - good on you for being different.

They offer a light yet detailed sound, depends on what you're after.

Headroom has this to say

"Leave it to Austrian audiophile geniuses AKG Acoustics to design superb headphones
at consumer friendly prices. Featuring great audio performance and cosmetic looks stellar
for its price, the AKG K142 HD offers a cleanly singing, ear-engaging tone that synergizes
very well with classic rock, jazz and pop recordings and honestly delivers the music as the
artists intended. A huge bang for the headphone dollar.

Nov 20, 2011 at 8:24 AM Post #3 of 9
I like.
I've always thought these HD428's have a darker sound signature - more suited for rock and metal.. And games - not that its a bad thing (I love hard rock, heavy metal and games) - but I also enjoy lighter music as well.

Nov 20, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #5 of 9

Agreed ~ high time the K142HD and K242HD started having their time in the Head-Fi sun! 
smile.gif

Nov 22, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #7 of 9
Just saw someone wearing these on the train and I'm definitely intrigued (even though my wallet definitely isn't haha). Looking forward to anyone's impressions. 
k701smile.gif

Dec 12, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #8 of 9
I received them a little while ago, but I forgot about this thread. I remembered about it when I was typing a URL and this thread was a suggestion.

My initial impression of the cans was they were anemic sounding, but I'm accustomed to a very full sounding sound system. After a while, though, I understand why all the reviews for them state that their best suited to lighter music. I can best compare them to studio monitors (speakers) without a subwoofer. Though the bass is present, it is in no way overbearing nor very exciting - a bass guitar or drum will still punch, but its more like a punch from a child.

Compared to my modded Sennheiser HD428's, they definitely have a lighter and much cleaner tone. They make violins sound woodier, if that makes any sense. I haven't found the sibilance unbearable, though present. I have a pair of Image S4's that are worse.

As for fit, they hug my head tighter than the HD428's and HS1A's. I can shake my head and they'll stay put. However, they aren't so tight as to be annoying. The felt earcups feel nice over the ear and I suspect are behind the non-exciting bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back