will i hate myself if i won't go for a Grado ?!
Aug 20, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #16 of 32
I have been able to head to head the 80, 125, and 325 at my local store.  At first when I heard them straight through the headphone out of a Marantz CDP, I was not terribly impressed with any due to a harsh treble.  Unamped the 80 was clearly inferior.  I know Grado's are supposed to be easy to drive, but they had huge improvement when run through a meager Grado amp.  Then they all sounded terrific, the trebles mellowed and bass grew tauter and fuller - and most important they all became musical. 

The difference between the three became much less, though I thought the 125 was defitnitely worth the extra $.  I agree the 325 was more lateral.  It is also quite a bit heavier and thus less comfortable.

Aug 20, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #17 of 32

Quote:
My kind Uncle, how much do you generally see RS-1s going for on the FS section? Someday I will try Grados, and since I love you and your advice so much, I need to know how much to save (distant future stuff).

EDIT: I've answered my own question, and they are far more affordable than I had thought.

Yeah, about $500 give or take $50-$100.

Aug 21, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #18 of 32
IMO, try and just demo a pair. You can't be sure of a sound signature until you have it or try it. I thought I was going to LOVE my Westone 3 sound signature, turns out I was a bit disappointed at first, but it grew on me eventually. In some cases it may be different, but before you even buy a pair even if it is the SR-60's you won't get ALL the money back you paid for them, so try a pair out first.

And If you like it I encourage jumping the gun, and buying a higher end model of Grado. That is what I did, I took a chance and bought a pair of D5K's, not knowing if I would like them or not, and it turned out I loved them.

Aug 21, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #19 of 32
The best bang for the buck, imo is the SR 125. Very cheap. If you do not have an amp, the upper level Grados (except for the very expensive models) will sound almost the same as the SR 125.

Get that and decide whether you like the sound.

Quote:
my question is :

How do the grado Overall Sound Quality... compare to other products on the market???...like Senns, Ath, etc

becouse i fell like i will loose a lot if i won't try them... if they are so good with rock...but i want and SQ beside compatibiliy with my music

and what model from grado will be the best bang for the buck?...and a really noticeble upgrade from ksc75???

Aug 21, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #20 of 32

Quote:
Yeah, about $500 give or take $50-$100.

That's more what I had previously thought, but yesterday I saw a pair for $330. Needless to say, it went quickly.

Aug 21, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

And If you like it I encourage jumping the gun, and buying a higher end model of Grado. That is what I did, I took a chance and bought a pair of D5K's, not knowing if I would like them or not, and it turned out I loved them.

An argument could also be made for a pair of 60's or 80's amped. If the sonic signature is to your liking they could serve as travel or guest phones. This way you would run a lower financial risk.

Aug 21, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #22 of 32
Find a good headphone shop and demo them compared to others.  Might want to start the demo with something regarded as neutral if your ears are untrained.

Then think about the kinds of sounds you value(for instance head thumping bass that is not cheapo).  Easy to find headphones that emphasize certain parts of a song, hard part is figuring out which one you prefer.

Aug 21, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #23 of 32
You will most certainly hate yourself. I demoed a pair of 125is at a local shop and was impressed by how aggressive these cans were in their presentation of rock music. Bass is definitely lacking, which is why I have not bought them, but I suppose they're perfect for rock otherwise. I personally like my drums to have a kick to them.

beyersmile.png
 Paste 
beyersmile.png

Aug 21, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #24 of 32
To the OP: Try the SR80i. As to sound quality, I think it goes hand in hand with the way Grado's present music. The mids are very forward so vocals and guitars really stand out, but this makes them more edgy (by boosting this range you a greater deal of focalized dynamics) than smooth and refined. As you move up the line refinement increases. Midbass renders good sounding drums for rock. Because the soundstage is smaller, complex layered music (think full orchestra and multipart choir or heavily layered electronica) can become congested.

Aug 21, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #25 of 32

Quote:
You will most certainly hate yourself. I demoed a pair of 125is at a local shop and was impressed by how aggressive these cans were in their presentation of rock music. Bass is definitely lacking, which is why I have not bought them, but I suppose they're perfect for rock otherwise. I personally like my drums to have a kick to them.

beyersmile.png
 Paste 
beyersmile.png

Why I went straight for SR325is and not starting off with a lower model.  I had plenty of time to return it back then, but never did.  I'm still loving them now, a year later. 
happy_face1.gif

Aug 21, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #27 of 32

Quote:
How is the comftorability factor though?

Some people find it uncomfortable, as you've probably read.  I sometimes find myself still wearing the headphones even though no music is playing.

Aug 21, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #28 of 32

Quote:
Some people find it uncomfortable, as you've probably read.  I sometimes find myself still wearing the headphones even though no music is playing.

Yeah, they definitely seem to be kind of polarizing here. Not sure what kind of music you listen to, but do you think they would be good with electronica type music? Example: Jungle, Trance and house.

Aug 21, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #29 of 32
Not sure.  I use them with anything except jazz and classical and they sound great to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back