Will Foobar play 24/96 files?
Dec 17, 2007 at 6:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Murugesh

100+ Head-Fier
I will be downloading some 24bit/96khz high resolution music files soon. Before that I want to make sure I can play it using Foobar in my computer.

If Foobar can play it, will I hear the absolute 24/96 resolution or something downsampled 16 bit/44khz ?

Dec 17, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #2 of 19
what's the format? FLAC? and how can u tell if it's "high resolution"

Dec 17, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #4 of 19
It depends on your sound card. If your sound card can handle it, you can easily set it to normally or kernel stream with the plugin at 24/96. Foobar2000 won't limit you.

USB with the microDAC will downsample it for you.
frown.gif

Dec 18, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #6 of 19
Wasn't there a DBT that showed no one could tell the difference between SACD and downsampled SACD (ie. downsampled to CD quality, or something)?

There is a post on Hydrogen Audio, but it doesn't link to anything.

If there was such a DBT, I don't see why this would really matter.

Dec 19, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by audioengr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Foobar 0.9.x and 0.8.3 wil play 24/96 and with SRC, they will upsample to 24/96.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Steve,
Do you think 0.8.3 with src sounds better than 0.9.5 with src, all else being the same?

Dec 19, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Murugesh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will be downloading some 24bit/96khz high resolution music files soon. Before that I want to make sure I can play it using Foobar in my computer.

If Foobar can play it, will I hear the absolute 24/96 resolution or something downsampled 16 bit/44khz ?

Foobar will play it.

steve N.

Dec 19, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riboge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Steve,
Do you think 0.8.3 with src sounds better than 0.9.5 with src, all else being the same?

Absolutely, and you need a different SRC.

Steve N.

Dec 20, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by audioengr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Absolutely, and you need a different SRC.

Steve N.

And where can you still get 0.8.3?

What accounts for all audio programs on a PC sounding different (aside from using ASIO)? Foobar obviously sounds the best, but Foobar sounds different than iTunes which sounds different than WMP. I imagine it's from multiple layers of programming that the audio data goes through, but I'm not sure. Maybe you can explain it.
So how do we know which program is giving you the most realistic interpretation of the original audio signal, and why does a program not seem to exist that can transmit an exact bit-for-bit unaltered signal from the soundcard to the DAC? And likewise, why when using a transport like the 840c will the sound quality be better using the CD player portion than using the digital inputs?

Dec 20, 2007 at 1:14 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What accounts for all audio programs on a PC sounding different (aside from using ASIO)? Foobar obviously sounds the best, but Foobar sounds different than iTunes which sounds different than WMP. I imagine it's from multiple layers of programming that the audio data goes through, but I'm not sure. Maybe you can explain it.
So how do we know which program is giving you the most realistic interpretation of the original audio signal, and why does a program not seem to exist that can transmit an exact bit-for-bit unaltered signal from the soundcard to the DAC? And likewise, why when using a transport like the 840c will the sound quality sound better using the CD player portion than using the digital inputs?

I have wondered this for a long time but have never been able to put into words so clearly! Great ?s IPodPJ! I look forward to reading the answers.

Dec 21, 2007 at 9:59 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

So how do we know which program is giving you the most realistic interpretation of the original audio signal, and why does a program not seem to exist that can transmit an exact bit-for-bit unaltered signal from the soundcard to the DAC? And likewise, why when using a transport like the 840c will the sound quality be better using the CD player portion than using the digital inputs?

With my X-Fi, foobar2000 w/ ASIO output, I get bit-perfect playback. There are some Dolby Digital and DTS wav files floating around. If you connect your home theater receiver to the computer's digital output and play these files, a non bit-perfect output gives you loud hissing static. If you have bit-perfect output, the receiver will recognize the .wav stream as a DD or DTS stream and decode it.

This is the ONLY way I know of to be certain you have bit-perfect playback.

Dec 21, 2007 at 2:36 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

I found 0.8.3 in several places by searching the web, but it wasn't easy or immediate. I don't have the links, so you'll have to do your own search. You will not be able to obtain the matching src, however, for free or perhaps at all. Empirical Audio has a license to supply it with its products. I don't know if anyone else can provide it. I can say that I agree with Steve that this combo sounds better than any other computer player/source I've been able to hear. You are welcome to come down from LA and listen for yourself, if you like.
"how do we know which program is giving you the most realistic interpretation of the original audio signal": You listen to live music and you listen to recorded music via various methods and you make your own determination/judgment. Nothing else matters in the end. It surely is not something someone else or some instrument can tell you. And it surely is not simply a matter of how bit perfect the playback is. I am sure you are aware of other factors involved, if you stop to think about it.

Dec 21, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

What accounts for all audio programs on a PC sounding different (aside from using ASIO)? Foobar obviously sounds the best, but Foobar sounds different than iTunes which sounds different than WMP.

Are you serious?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back