Will burn in break my cdp?
Jul 30, 2002 at 2:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

andrzejpw

May one day invent Bose-cancelling headphones.
Even though I burned my denon 370 in for about 200 hours, you know, a few days here, a day here, I'm wondering. . .

I searched for this, and a thread came up, no replies. So, can a cdp be used continuously? Or should it be stopped every 2 hours or so?

Jul 30, 2002 at 4:48 AM Post #3 of 17
I wouldn't worry about it, personally.

Jul 30, 2002 at 1:20 PM Post #4 of 17
Anyone else? It seems we have 2 conflicting opinions.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 30, 2002 at 1:27 PM Post #5 of 17
Don't worry about it. All CD-players have to do is play CD's, it's not hard labour.
I use my CDP almost constantly and never had any problems with it. It will probably die in ten years. I'll buy a new one then if I haven't bought something else before that time.

Jul 30, 2002 at 5:40 PM Post #6 of 17
i agree. unless the cd player is **** quality (which i believe is not true with denon) you shouldn't have anything to worry about. i pretty much always leave my rega planet on, and the other weekend i let the sony ns500v run all weekend (like three consecutive days) looping bjork's latest to burn in the redbook laser.

electronics either last or don't last. either way, a $200 cd player isn't going to be that hard to replace.

Jul 31, 2002 at 1:01 AM Post #8 of 17
(sigh)

I had a cd deck for 10 years, used it everyday, never has it acted up.

so dont worry about it

Jul 31, 2002 at 2:00 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
Yes, using your CD player for what it was meant to do will cause substancial irreversable damage and could harm your headphone and/or amp.
rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the sarcasm. So, basically, I can drive my car as long as I want, and nothing will happen?

Jul 31, 2002 at 4:53 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw

Thanks for the sarcasm. So, basically, I can drive my car as long as I want, and nothing will happen?

Since when was he talking about cars
rolleyes.gif

Aug 1, 2002 at 2:20 AM Post #11 of 17
You have two sets of moving parts in your CDP, the spindle drive (spinning) and the laser mechanism (movement across the cd and focusing).

If you left a CD in your device spinning, with NO laser movement, I would say it would last about a year and a half before the spindle bearing wore out.

Wear of the laser assembly is something else.

I personally would not worry about it. But I don't use CDP for break in or burn in. I use receivers or radios or TV's.

Aug 1, 2002 at 5:16 AM Post #13 of 17
Andrzejpw is asking a perfectly reasonable question! I could very easily see myself asking the same question. Why? Because when you're in school and you have a limited budget, you hold closely all the things you've spent your hard-earned funds on. In my experience, high school jobs just don't pay well enough for one to casually run out to the local hi-fi shop and replace a broken CDP; I'm in high school, I would know! There. I'm done. No need for sarcasm, really.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back