Will an extension cable reduce sound quality?
Dec 20, 2014 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Blaalad12

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys. I started a thread recently enquiring about headphones for tv use, movies in particular! I have a pair of he500s that i use when watching movies on my computer and i enjoy the sound! In fact im probably not gonna get any better without spending alot of money so im considering taking the cheap option and just investing in an extension cable? Would this reduce sound quality though? Would i need a specific cable? and also, would they still need to be amped or could i just run them off the extension cable coming from the tv? 

Thanks for any help guys :) Hope you all have a good christmas :wink: 

All i can find online are cable adapters by the way which are what i need but are only a few inches! I need something that can add at least 5feet to the existing cable 

Dec 21, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #4 of 13
The tv im using has an arc port,optical output port and of course a headphone jack. The amp only has rca connections (red and white 'out' connections and red and white 'in') Given that info. What cable is best suited? I've no idea what kind of cable i need ha

Dec 21, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #5 of 13
The tv im using has an arc port,optical output port and of course a headphone jack. The amp only has rca connections (red and white 'out' connections and red and white 'in') Given that info. What cable is best suited? I've no idea what kind of cable i need ha

Assuming an arc port to be HDMI, you need a HDMI-to-RCA converter. Or, a better route would be using an external DAC with an optical input, and feeding your amplifier with the resulting signal.

Dec 21, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #6 of 13
Assuming an arc port to be HDMI, you need a HDMI-to-RCA converter. Or, a better route would be using an external DAC with an optical input, and feeding your amplifier with the resulting signal.

Yeah the port is hdmi! I presume its best to run hdmi to rca rather then optical to rca? Using an external dac with an optical input means spending more money ha The amp is a tube amp so the dac is built in anyway..... if thats a plus or not i have no idea .

Dec 21, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #10 of 13
In this case, you'd be best off with an optical-to-USB converter. One can be had for as little as ~$20.

TV (optical) ---> converter ----> Aune ----> headphones

The usb port is already connected to the computer from the amp though . I could just switch them out i suppose but wouldnt it be best just to go with a hdmi to rca converter or optical to rca? 

Dec 21, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #11 of 13
The usb port is already connected to the computer from the amp though . I could just switch them out i suppose but wouldnt it be best just to go with a hdmi to rca converter or optical to rca? 

In this case, you may want to choose the most convenient path [for you].

Users who are viewing this thread

Back