Will an amplifier solve my IEM sound problem?
Feb 27, 2013 at 6:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

andy517

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I use Samsung Galaxy SIII (Wolfson WM1811 Audio Hub) + Vsonic GR04 Pro Flagship (50 ohm).

The thing is, I listen quite often to old jazz records which are quiet so I have to amplify the volume quite heavily. I don't equalize frequencies, but Preamp is set to max and sometimes I have to use another application (Volume+) which amplifies the sound a little bit more.

And as might be expected, at high volumes the sound is distorted, I guess it is called clipping, I'm not so familiar with english words in this field. For example when there is a saxophone playing high notes it is quite bad. I have it loud but not extremely loud, I guess everyone would describe it differently :).

So I'm thinking about buying FiiO E6, the only thing which bothers me is if I didn't went over the limit of headphones themselves, then the quality of amplification wouldn't matter...

Any opinions? Thanks.

Mar 1, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #2 of 4
Please list a few of the tracks you listen to when you hear the bad noise.  We can try to help you from there as it may be a number of issues.

Does the distortion go away at lower volumes?

Can you try another headphone with the distorting track and see if the other headphone has the same issue?

Mar 2, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
Hello everyone,

I use Samsung Galaxy SIII (Wolfson WM1811 Audio Hub) + Vsonic GR04 Pro Flagship (50 ohm).

The thing is, I listen quite often to old jazz records which are quiet so I have to amplify the volume quite heavily. I don't equalize frequencies, but Preamp is set to max and sometimes I have to use another application (Volume+) which amplifies the sound a little bit more.

And as might be expected, at high volumes the sound is distorted, I guess it is called clipping, I'm not so familiar with english words in this field. For example when there is a saxophone playing high notes it is quite bad. I have it loud but not extremely loud, I guess everyone would describe it differently :).

So I'm thinking about buying FiiO E6, the only thing which bothers me is if I didn't went over the limit of headphones themselves, then the quality of amplification wouldn't matter...

Any opinions? Thanks.

Hi man, you can take a look to supercurio vodoo app that boost volume and make the sound of the s3 better. The app cost few coins but it's worth it all. Another alternative, I think, is to pick up a dac/amp combo, infact the s3 support a usb dac through the microusb; a dac/amp surely improve the sound and the volume; a Fiio e07k could be an option keeping the budget low. I would not buy the e6, I think is a waste of money.

Mar 2, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #4 of 4
Supercurio hasn't released voodoo sound for the S3 yet, so the app on the play store won't work. A working alternative though is the Boeffla Kernel (google it) with Boeffla sound control, and it will do essentially the same things Voodoo does (DAC direct, better amplification etc).

You've got to root the phone and flash the Boeffla kernel for this to work though, but it will be easy. Look on XDA developers for the rooting and flashing process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back