Will an amp help muffled K7XX?
Aug 13, 2017 at 6:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

EnsisTheSlayer

Head-Fier
I know I've made a lot of posts over the past year or so, and I'm sorry, but ONE more (I promise) before I start making some purchases about the 7XXs and amping in general.

My cousin owns the K7XXs and HE400Is and a tiny little cheap portable amp (I don't remember what it was called), and I brought my HD558s to compare to them, and I found was that even though the little guy could more than power the 7XXs at ~12-1 o clock volume wise, but they sounded extremely muffled (even at like ear hurting levels) compared to my 558s. Is this because the amp is not supplying enough power at regular volumes (if that makes any sense)? Would a higher power amp like the Magni 2 or maybe even something more powerful make the 7XXs clearer even at lower/regular volumes?

I'm sorry I've been making so many posts, but I'm not really in a position where I could try the 7XXS with a higher powered amp. I wasn't able to find out how amping really affects headphones like that online through a quick google search either.

Aug 13, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #2 of 8
I know I've made a lot of posts over the past year or so, and I'm sorry, but ONE more (I promise) before I start making some purchases about the 7XXs and amping in general.

My cousin owns the K7XXs and HE400Is and a tiny little cheap portable amp (I don't remember what it was called), and I brought my HD558s to compare to them, and I found was that even though the little guy could more than power the 7XXs at ~12-1 o clock volume wise, but they sounded extremely muffled (even at like ear hurting levels) compared to my 558s. Is this because the amp is not supplying enough power at regular volumes (if that makes any sense)? Would a higher power amp like the Magni 2 or maybe even something more powerful make the 7XXs clearer even at lower/regular volumes?

I'm sorry I've been making so many posts, but I'm not really in a position where I could try the 7XXS with a higher powered amp. I wasn't able to find out how amping really affects headphones like that online through a quick google search either.
An amp should help with the muffled sound for sure. Just because it gets loud enough on a certain amp, doesn't mean the headphone will sound as good as it can. Magni 2 would fit the bill perfectly!

Aug 13, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #3 of 8
It has been a while since I have heard the 7xx's but I don't think I would call them muffled. I think you want everything to sound like what you have. As I bet you are listening at high levels.

Aug 13, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #4 of 8
An amp should help with the muffled sound for sure. Just because it gets loud enough on a certain amp, doesn't mean the headphone will sound as good as it can. Magni 2 would fit the bill perfectly!
That's great! My cousin offered me his K7XXs for $150 after he got his HE400Is, so I'm definitely going to go for it and pair it with a Magni 2!

Aug 13, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #6 of 8
Let us know how it works out. You don't need to apologize for posting--it's why all of us are here.

Speak for yourself!
Im only here to look at Oregonian's avatar!:ksc75smile:

Aug 14, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #8 of 8

If that was the amp's distortion pattern or outright coloration then an amplifier with lower distortion and noise will be better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back