Will a silver SR-71 be confiscated by airport security?
Jun 4, 2006 at 12:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

tjkurita

1000+ Head-Fier
Flying to and from Japan from NYC. If it was a shorter domestic flight I could just go without it. But a week in Japan along with the 14+ hour travel time (20+ hrs door to door) makes me want a portable amp to take along with me.

I am East Asian so I don't really fit any profiles (except as a math whiz, which I'm not... so much for racial profiling). But I tend to border on scruffy looking
tongue.gif
most of the time.

Has anyone reported any losses of RSA amps or any other pro-looking amps? I read about GSFerrari's Porta Corda confiscation and it makes me concerned. $400 is enough amp that I would not want to risk it if there is any possibility.

Any comments? jjcha, you travel to Japan often, have you ever had problems?

Jun 4, 2006 at 12:54 AM Post #2 of 25
I flew from NYC to South Texas with my AE-1 in a checked bag with no problems.

Jun 4, 2006 at 1:01 AM Post #3 of 25
I flew to the National Meet with all of my portable gear and some cables in one of two carry-on bags and didn't run into any problems. Then again, the guy manning the x-ray probably saw all the assorted audio equipment, so that may have been a factor.
tongue.gif

So you might want to pack some cables and other small audio-related devices as well, that might help.

Jun 4, 2006 at 1:04 AM Post #4 of 25
I've been worried about the same thing. If I go to Singapore this summer, that's a lot of flying. If I can finish my CMoy by then, I really wouldn't want it confiscated. (A diy CMoy in an Altoids tin would be especially fishy)

Jun 4, 2006 at 1:06 AM Post #5 of 25
Ship it to yourself in Japan and then ship it back from Japan to the USA!
biggrin.gif

Or buy a portable amp in Japan and bring it back. Then you can post and brag here about your new toy.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjkurita
Flying to and from Japan from NYC. If it was a shorter domestic flight I could just go without it. But a week in Japan along with the 14+ hour travel time (20+ hrs door to door) makes me want a portable amp to take along with me.

I am East Asian so I don't really fit any profiles (except as a math whiz, which I'm not... so much for racial profiling). But I tend to border on scruffy looking
tongue.gif
most of the time.

Has anyone reported any losses of RSA amps or any other pro-looking amps? I read about GSFerrari's Porta Corda confiscation and it makes me concerned. $400 is enough amp that I would not want to risk it if there is any possibility.

Any comments? jjcha, you travel to Japan often, have you ever had problems?

Jun 4, 2006 at 1:16 AM Post #6 of 25
I've gone within the US with an SR-71 and didn't encounter a problem. The one thing they did look at pretty hard was my 9v rechargables, actually the 9.6v kind (NiMh? Can't remember now). They had a series of little rings inside when viewed on the Xrays and confounded the xray woman pretty good. After they figured out that it was just a battery I had no problem.

Jun 4, 2006 at 1:55 AM Post #7 of 25
are they really that strict in the states now?
confused.gif
I've read many threads asking about this sort of things, and personally I have brought all kinds of electronics...hand carried fliying in and out canada including transit in the states without any problems.

Jun 4, 2006 at 2:16 AM Post #8 of 25
Remove the battery then?
biggrin.gif

Jun 4, 2006 at 3:12 AM Post #9 of 25
oh crap.. I forgot about this..

I guess I wont be carrying the prototype PPAS to japan.. it looks ike a frigging detonator, with a intermittent LED (heh.. the connection is a BIT faulty..) and alot of deadbug soldering..

Sighs. thats annoying.

Jun 4, 2006 at 3:17 AM Post #10 of 25
I've never had any problems whatsover with my portable audio gear, and I travel a lot. Just act like a normal human being and if they ask about it, simply tell them what is and show them how it connects to your iPod or PCDP and show some enthusiasm about how it improves the sound, etc. They seem to like it when they learn something new. Must be a boring job.

Jun 4, 2006 at 3:53 AM Post #11 of 25
I think my little SR-71's been through airport security over a dozen times now... I've never had an issue. But to be honest, I've always been ready to just hand it over to security if they raised a fuss.

This last trip I didn't bring it. My notebook computer's got a pretty neat headphone jack (hehe) so didn't feel the need to bring it.
biggrin.gif

I agree wholeheartedly with mrarroyo's advice about shipping stuff there and back. I shipped all the omiyage I gave to friends in Japan straight to my hotel in Tokyo, then shipped everything I was bringing home through EMS. I hate checking in luggage. Of course I spent over $300 in EMS shipping, but I really hate checking in luggage.

Man, I'm still jetlagged. I just got back on Tues but still sleeping Japan hours. Guess I'm getting old...

Best,

-Jason

Postscript: Oh man, just a word of advice. Definitely check-in more than an hour before your flight. This last trip, I tried to check in 50 minutes before my flight to Japan and the ******* at Continental refused to process me. I had to catch the flight out the next day. Almost missed my Eriko Imai concert as a result.
biggrin.gif
(was a great concert
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
)

Jun 4, 2006 at 4:24 AM Post #12 of 25
The problem with shipping it beforehand, is that you can't use it on the plane.
icon10.gif

Jun 4, 2006 at 4:28 AM Post #13 of 25
I'm overseas right now. I just had an 18 hour flight a month ago so I needed my audio gear with me. I carried it all in my carry on bag, and everytime it passed through the x-ray there was never a problem. I've got another long flight this Tuesday.

One guy in Korea did scan my bag, zoomed in on my amp, looked a second, and then passed it. Then he said "Nice headphones"
580smile.gif

Word of advice though. Don't bring so much crap with you on board. It'll be more of a hassle when you realize you only read one of the 3 books you brought and don't even open your laptop. And if you've got burned CD's with you, leave them in a CD wallet.

Jun 4, 2006 at 4:29 AM Post #14 of 25
18-hour flight? Where were you going? Was it direct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back