Wikipedia Chokes on Grado Entry
Jul 2, 2006 at 12:02 PM Post #16 of 25
What is the exact disctinction between these three things: "the professional audio, reference audio, and audiophile markets"? More particularly, what is the reference audio market? It seems to fit in with one or both of the other two ...

Jul 2, 2006 at 12:18 PM Post #17 of 25
I can now see why the Grado page had "The Competition" section.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sennheiser

Quote:

Given that Sennheiser has one of the world's widest range of headphone classes known to the audio world (from the inexpensive Open-Air Earbuds to the high-end Audiophile Headphone class), Sennheiser naturally rivals other leading headphone companies. Its low-end headphones are challenged by more mainstream companies, such as Sony and Koss. One Sennheiser product, the PX 100 open, portable headphone, seems to have been released as a direct challenge to the popular Koss Porta Pro.

One of the most common audiophile headphone showdowns is between Grado's headphones and Sennheiser's high-end headphones. Often, Grado's headphones operate under a simulated rounded earcup on a supra-aural form-factor leaning more for a warmer sound signature, while Sennheiser has been concentrating in ear ergonomics with its headphones' earcups, and are focusing on over-the-ear, circumaural design with concentrations set on sound detail. Both of the companies' high-end headphones are dynamic open-air. Defenders of Sennheiser's high-end headphones point out the near-unanimous praisings of the headphones' comfort and describe the Grado headphones as colored to the point of distortion, while defenders of Grado's headphones point out a perceived "veil" in the Sennheiser's treble, citing Sennheiser's high-end headphones have a more "boring" sound signature.

These perceived opinions are those generally shared among the members of Head-Fi and the reviews of HeadRoom Corporation.

The AKG Wiki page needs to be updated.
icon10.gif
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AKG_Acoustics

Jul 2, 2006 at 1:02 PM Post #18 of 25
I'm assuming you guys already cleaned it all up, because it looks pretty good to me.

Jul 2, 2006 at 2:10 PM Post #19 of 25
< checks to see what they say about Bose Tri Ports.
biggrin.gif

Jul 2, 2006 at 2:50 PM Post #20 of 25
Hmm, I've actually been fairly surprised and impressed by the quality of a lot of wiki articles. This one on Grado is pretty low, I have to say, in terms of writing and perspective.

Can someone fix a few inaccuracies? SR40 was not replaced by the SR60. HP1000 was not replaced by the GS1000. PS1 is no longer produced and available. SR40 is a part of the Prestige range.

I'm not so sure the Freesystem was never released - at least I saw one for sale retail in Japan.

And am I the only person utterly begoggled that there's barely brief mention of cartridges?

Best,

-Jason

Jul 2, 2006 at 3:24 PM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Hmm, I've actually been fairly surprised and impressed by the quality of a lot of wiki articles. This one on Grado is pretty low, I have to say, in terms of writing and perspective...-Jason

I would agree with some of the lighter technology-specific articles, but definitely not this one, as well as Wiki's recent attempts at video compression discussions.

Part of the danger of a Wiki is not knowing when the publisher has not used a subject matter expert and when they have. Did anyone from Wiki contact Head-Fi or another established area of Headphone Expertise? If so, I'll stop here. If not, then this is a clear example of not knowing where to go to for information.

I recently taught a class and then decided to sit in on some other classes where the teacher's slides were about 30% Wiki definititions that were actually misleading to the audience. I would definitely recommend one of our Mods offer to contribute to Wiki as needed; I would be interested in hearing their response.

Jul 2, 2006 at 3:30 PM Post #22 of 25
Noise-cancelling veterans? What?
biggrin.gif

Jul 2, 2006 at 3:33 PM Post #23 of 25
The AKG entry is kind of lean in the headphone area.

Jul 2, 2006 at 8:39 PM Post #24 of 25
I fixed a couple of things that were incorrect, but it would take a lot more work for it not to look like an advertisement anymore.

Grado's nomenclature is a little hard to follow. I was going to put hyphens between all the RS-1, RS-2, HF-1, and PS-1s, as they are written on the phones themselves, but I see grados website does not do this. Furthermore, sometimes there is a space and sometimes there isn't.
confused.gif

Jul 2, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #25 of 25
Hmm. Things are looking a lot better today. Not the most useful article in the whole world, but much improved over what it was the first time I saw it.
biggrin.gif
Now it seems we just need to clean up all the other headphone entries.
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
I'm not so sure the Freesystem was never released - at least I saw one for sale retail in Japan.

That's a good point. I've never seen one for sale, but I distinctly remember trying to read one or two Japanese reviews of the Freesystem, and I don't remember thinking that they were based on pre-production models.

-Angler
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back