Wich of these is the best all rounder? (shure srh 440 vs ath m50 vs philips uptown)
Aug 12, 2013 at 9:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Pedro Oliveira

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi guys...

I already have a pair of mdr v6's and a pair of cal!'s....

I listen to pretty much everything, with a little bit of attention to rock (artic monkeys, bloc party...) and edm (specially progreesive and trance...

I have now the chance of getting these 3 headphones....

The ath m50's for 80 euros....

And the srh440's and the philips uptown's for 80 euros both....

The m50's have all the positive hype in favor... On another hand i can get two pair of headphones and also the philips seem to be a good option for outside use....

So what do you guys think?

Cheers and sorry for the bother... :)

Aug 13, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #2 of 9
Quote:
Hi guys...

I already have a pair of mdr v6's and a pair of cal!'s....

I listen to pretty much everything, with a little bit of attention to rock (artic monkeys, bloc party...) and edm (specially progreesive and trance...

I have now the chance of getting these 3 headphones....

The ath m50's for 80 euros....

And the srh440's and the philips uptown's for 80 euros both....

The m50's have all the positive hype in favor... On another hand i can get two pair of headphones and also the philips seem to be a good option for outside use....

So what do you guys think?

Cheers and sorry for the bother... :)

What you have is already better, Are you looking for a side step?  The Cals sound better then all you are after.  If I had to pick tho, I'd say the M50's out of your list. I'm not a big fan of them but they are the best you mentioned. Still getting beat by both the Sony's and Cal's IMO..

Aug 13, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #3 of 9
Thank you very much for your reply magicman. :)
I am just a curious guy and because of all the good things i have heard about these headphones i would like to try them and see of they are better than what i already have (but yES i know i am not getting am upgrade, just really curious about the sound sigs...)...

So the m50s are worth the double of the other 2?

As a street use option are the Philips the best ones?

Aug 15, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #5 of 9
The 440's **** all over the M50's, that's a fact without a doubt, no question. The 440's are a very good headphone, better than a lot of well-known ones. Plug in a good amp and the 440's excel something wicked. I have the M50's and the 440's and the 440's leave the M50 in the dust. The 440's actually have a similar sound signature to the M50 but with superior more accurate linear bass, plus more natural-sounding and more open treble, and all without the heavily recessed midrange of the M50.

Aug 15, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #6 of 9
The problem is that i dont have a portable amp and i was not planning on buying one.

I have already been told by many people (for example malveaux among other experienced headfiers...) that my v6's are better than the m50's. It seems they are not very different, but it also seems that the v6's are more balanced because they dont have recessed mids like the m50s's and also the sound is more refined.

But once again, this is what i have been told, i have never tried the m50 so i really cant comment....

By the way my source is an ipod touch 4g.... :)

Aug 15, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #8 of 9
I share your opinion about the cal!. I expected them to be amazing but to my ears they are just a nice sounding pair of headphones exactly because of what you said. They do indeed sound a bit muffled sometimes....but... i do understand why so many people like them. They do not sound bad at all, they are just not my ideal type of sound sig i guess. The v6 for example with a bit more bass (tiny tiny tiny bit more) and the soundstage of the cal!'s would absolutely shine! I can make them bassier with the rock eq on my ipod touch (but it does affect the mids a bit) and they become really fun for edm... but the soundstage is something eq will not give you and in terms of soundstage the cal!'s blow.

But of course they are different types of headphones... but yes i kind of have a love hate relationship with the cal!s... I dont love them but also i dont hate them enough to sell them... :)

I am giving up on the m50's.... from what i read the v6 are not only overhyped but also it seems they are going to sound exactly the same as my v6's on the rock eq.

Now i am just trying to figure out if i only get the shures for 40 euros or if i also give the uptowns a try for 40 as well as a street option....

Just a few more question.... Is the bass on the 440's that weak when unamped? I really was not planning on getting an amp....

Now about the uptowns....

I can get the uptowns and the akg k518's for the same price (40 euros)... Wich is better? (please keep in mind that these will be used as a street can)

Cheers... :)

Aug 16, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #9 of 9
i think i am definitly going to get them thereem... I can get them for 40 euros, they are in mint condition. The only con is that they done havê the box because the owner threw it away but besides that they are new and with all the accessories. The cheapest o ever was them being sold was for 80 euros. I am defintly giving them a try.

The v6 and the Cals will do the punchy parte when needed... :)

About the uptowns for 40 euros... What do you guys think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back