Wich has more bass and more bass impact? Ath-m50x vs Dt770 Pro 80ohm (Poll)
Aug 13, 2015 at 9:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Pedro Oliveira

1000+ Head-Fier
First of all i have both right now and i already have made my opinion about subject.... To my ears the ath m50x is bassier and has stronger impact than the beyerdynamic. The dt770 is still a fairly bassy headphone but not as agressive or powerfull sounding IMO (please keep in mind that i am not stating wich one is better, i like both and still have not decided wich to keep due to both having different strenghts).

So what is this thread for you may ask? Well this are 2 of the most popular entry level headphones for guys who like me wnat good sound without blowing ttheir wallet. Problem is sometimes there are so manny descriptions that sometimes you may think that the m50/m50x or the dt770 seem like they are something that many times is far from the truth.... For examole it is common to see people describing the 80ohm pro dt770 as a super bass monster when IMO opinion it has less bass than the m50...

So basically i just want you guys who had both to come out and share, wich is bassier, wich has more bass impact? Wich headphone has the best type of bass certain preferences, wich leaks more bass to the mids, etc....

Just a bit of information for those who are on the verge of buying one or the other.... :grinning:

Cheers....

Aug 14, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #2 of 13
Really? I really think that the m50x hits harder and has overall more bass... Is it possible that the older versions of the pro 80ohm were bassier? Mine were bought last weel and on the box it saus they were made in 2014.

I also heard someone say that the dt770 have many unit variations.... some have more/less bass, other more/less mids, the same on the highs.... is this true?

Aug 14, 2015 at 7:34 AM Post #4 of 13
My RS1i has more bass than the DT770 I had...
Though it was the 250 ohm version.

The 250 is less bassy and has a bit more higs than the 80ohm one. But to my ears the m50x has a bigger bass and they punch much harder. The 80ohm still has plenty of bass but to my ears the m50x hits a lot hearder even when both are amped.

Aug 14, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #5 of 13
Thank you for keeping the votes coming.... :)

Really dont get it... i tried 2 dt770 pro 80 and none of the has more bass impact than the m50x.... weird.... faulty units? Production variations?

Aug 15, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #7 of 13
From my memory the DT770 Pro (250ohm )  bass was very deep and strong however not too much it sounded fairly neutral maybe just a little above, sold mine however because I was looking for a more detailed can, how do you find the details on the m50x compared to the DT770 pro?

Aug 15, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #8 of 13
dta
  From my memory the DT770 Pro (250ohm )  bass was very deep and strong however not too much it sounded fairly neutral maybe just a little above, sold mine however because I was looking for a more detailed can, how do you find the details on the m50x compared to the DT770 pro?

to be honest details seemed to pop a bit more on the m50x but the dt770 sounds clearer overall to my ears. Everything is better separated. 
The details are still there on the dt770 but maybe because the drivers are almost glued to the ears on the m50x its easier to spot them.

Aug 17, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #9 of 13
For a while the DT770-80 was my main headphone and I still listen to the M50 (old version) from time to time, and the M50 definitely has more bass impact. The bass response is very snappy and punchy. The 770 always sounded bloated to me; too much midbass. The M50 has a midbass hump but it's nothing out of the ordinary for a closed headphone and it has excellent bass extension.

Aug 17, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #10 of 13
Are u sure the problem is on the midbass? I woudnt say the 770 is bloated because everything sounds very well separated and clean when compared to the m50. Problem is the sound is noticeably thinner when comoared to sothing like the m50x and specially when compared with the momentum and in terms of bass slam, the hd25, m50x and even the first gen of the over ear momentums seem to have a bigger/tighter punch. The 770 has hits hard too but the slam in not as noticeable or tight.

Aug 18, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #11 of 13
The 770 is thinner overall than the M50 and especially the M50x because of the infamous "Beyer peak". While a lot of headphones have a treble spike near 8-9khz, the DT770, like most other Beyerdynamic headphones, takes this peak to a new height, literally. This can lead to an initial impression of a clean and detailed sound but it gets tiring pretty quickly. I went from the 770 back to the M50 in the span of a few months. The M50 also has more presence in the upper midrange/lower treble than the DT770. A lot of the "kick" from a kick drum comes from the 2-4khz range, and the Beyer's dip at 4khz is pretty much the inverse of its peak at 9khz. Also, I felt like the Beyer had too much midbass coming from the old M50. The M50x, according to the measurements on InnerFidelity, has an elevated bass response compared to the M50 and is not quite as bright.

Aug 18, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #12 of 13
The 770 is thinner overall than the M50 and especially the M50x because of the infamous "Beyer peak". While a lot of headphones have a treble spike near 8-9khz, the DT770, like most other Beyerdynamic headphones, takes this peak to a new height, literally. This can lead to an initial impression of a clean and detailed sound but it gets tiring pretty quickly. I went from the 770 back to the M50 in the span of a few months. The M50 also has more presence in the upper midrange/lower treble than the DT770. A lot of the "kick" from a kick drum comes from the 2-4khz range, and the Beyer's dip at 4khz is pretty much the inverse of its peak at 9khz. Also, I felt like the Beyer had too much midbass coming from the old M50. The M50x, according to the measurements on InnerFidelity, has an elevated bass response compared to the M50 and is not quite as bright.

I agree. The beyer indeed sound thinner compare to the m50x. This is specially noticeable when listening to rock. Guitars on biffy clyros songs for examole sound much thinner while on the momentums and m50x they sound much more powerfull, agressive and better textured.. I had a coiled m50 before the m50x and from what i recall although still not being the clearest sound the m50x seems to be a improvement over the older one, specially on the mids and highs its pretty noticeable. Highs seems a tad more natural and the mids do not seem as recessed. Bass also seems to kick harder. Probably the newer and more fluffy pads have to do with this improvements since now they adapt better to the ears. I still preffer the hd25 because although loosing a bit of bass impact the hd25 as more natural highs, more natural and forward mids and they overall sound cleaner and not colored (despite a bit grainy sounding).

Thinking of returning the dt770 because although not bad i thought the sound would suit me better.... I will surelly miss the soundstage and confort though...

Thinking of getting the momentums 2.0 but damn they are expensive....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back