Wich are the best headphones under US$1000 for classical music?
Aug 7, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #16 of 52
Quote:

Excelent! I like the non expensive AKG K702. But is it really the best under $1000 ??

In my country the prices are:
AKG 702 = $450 (aprox.)
HE-500   =  $600
ATH-A2000X = $620 (aprox.)

And the T1, HD800, and GS1000 are out of the range. (GS1000 = $1.400)

To get the best out of the K-702 you'll need a good DAC and the best desktop hps amp that you can get...welcome to headfi.
k701smile.gif

Aug 7, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #17 of 52
Quote:

Excelent! I like the non expensive AKG K702. But is it really the best under $1000 ??

In my country the prices are:
AKG 702 = $450 (aprox.)
HE-500   =  $600
ATH-A2000X = $620 (aprox.)

And the T1, HD800, and GS1000 are out of the range. (GS1000 = $1.400)

I personally didn't like the K702 (even bought it a 2nd time to confirm w/better gear), but to each his own. It's a good suggestion, though, because you might find it suits your taste, and it shows that more $$$ doesn't always equate to a better listening experience.

Aug 7, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #18 of 52
Quote:

I personally didn't like the K702 (even bought it a 2nd time to confirm w/better gear), but to each his own. It's a good suggestion, though, because you might find it suits your taste, and it shows that more $$$ doesn't always equate to a better listening experience.

Last monday I heard HifiMAN 5LE for 40 minutes (HM-602>EF-5>5LE). It was really amazing, the best part of the spectra was the highs (very extended and detailed with a good presence). If the HE500 are similar to them I think I'll go for the HE500. I didn't buy 5LE since they are US$1100 (very overpriced in my opinion) and the HE500 are US$600.
Maybe the K702 aren't at same level.
Thank you Olias

Aug 7, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #20 of 52
I second the HE500.  But maybe also take a look at the Grado PS500.  It has a touch smaller of a soundstage but makes up for it in clarity. It's an all-round great set for all sub-genres of classical.  Exceptional for chamber and string quartets... also nice for opera.  

Aug 8, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #21 of 52
Quote:
Thank you Acix..... my poor wallet, (hahaha)

Buy a used Q/K70x off of the forums here, save some money which you can put towards upgrading your DAC and amplifier. 
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 8, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #24 of 52
He said the HE400 didn't have enough 'bright' and then someone recommends the LCD2.

Aug 8, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #25 of 52
Welcome to- oh wait...

Aug 9, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #28 of 52
Really want to try a planar magnetic. Unfortunately from what I've heard, they don't have a large enough soundstage for genres like classical music. 

I personally like the HD 598 myself. Slightly lacking in bass quantity for Bach, especially in contrapuntal passages, but they have the most realistic soundstage I've heard. Great midrange (perfect for cello) and treble is not fatiguing. When I listen to organ or symphonic musics with a lot of high frequency sound, I try to EQ the treble down very slightly, to render a darker presentation. For every other genres, I prefer to leave the treble alone though. 

For classical music, I'd recommend a speaker for best sound though. If you really need headphones, you should look into ones with open soundstages (Q701, HD 598, AD-2000, etc.). Beyerdynamics are alright I suppose but still feels claustrophobic in comparison to the 598. 

Aug 9, 2012 at 3:22 AM Post #29 of 52
Quote:
Really want to try a planar magnetic. Unfortunately from what I've heard, they don't have a large enough soundstage for genres like classical music. 

I used to feel the same, it took me a long time before I took the plunge and tried planner (plus not so easy to get in the uk). I've been into classical music for about 15 years. 7 of those years I've used the 650's. Then the RS1's (nice for chamber music) and then K702's .  After a month of listening to the HE500's I have since sold my 650's RS1's and K702's.

Regarding soundstage; The K702's are an exception within the soundstage department and adjusting to a more cohesive soundstage with the hifiman's took some time for me. Although the K's have a wider (not that much really once the planners are burned in) there is actually better staging (more realistic) and imaging with the HE500's. I would describe the K's sound in comparision as distant and big, wide-screen but not the latest tv spec, grainy at times and sometimes uselessly stretched (no need!). HE500's have less wide format but 3d imaging, feels like you could walk into the screen, very real, no grain at all. 

The HE500's have a similar stage to the 650's only with more air, separation depth and detail.  I've said before, the hifiman's imo are a natural upgrade for peeps who like the classic Sennheiser sound.

Aug 9, 2012 at 4:03 AM Post #30 of 52
Quote:
I used to feel the same, it took me a long time before I took the plunge and tried planner (plus not so easy to get in the uk). I've been into classical music for about 15 years. 7 of those years I've used the 650's. Then the RS1's (nice for chamber music) and then K702's .  After a month of listening to the HE500's I have since sold my 650's RS1's and K702's.

Regarding soundstage; The K702's are an exception within the soundstage department and adjusting to a more cohesive soundstage with the hifiman's took some time for me. Although the K's have a wider (not that much really once the planners are burned in) there is actually better staging (more realistic) and imaging with the HE500's. I would describe the K's sound in comparision as distant and big, wide-screen but not the latest tv spec, grainy at times and sometimes uselessly stretched (no need!). HE500's have less wide format but 3d imaging, feels like you could walk into the screen, very real, no grain at all. 

The HE500's have a similar stage to the 650's only with more air, separation depth and detail.  I've said before, the hifiman's imo are a natural upgrade for peeps who like the classic Sennheiser sound.

Yeah I get you. The Q701's imaging makes one instrument sound quite distant from the other. It's pretty neat for acoustics music but for anything else, it's quite unrealistic. I'd rather take a headphone with a smaller soundstage that sounds more realistic. Perhaps what really turned me off about the Q701 was its bass but in addition, its plastic-y sound and borderline-harsh trebles. 

The headphones I want to try the most are the HE-6 and the LCD-2. How well does the HE-500 fare against the HE-6, if you've compared/ heard anything about them? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back