Why would those with HE-6 prefer speaker amps?
Aug 5, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #76 of 95
  From the specs I've seen, a fairly astonishingly powerful one. I don't have much knowledge off the top of my head about which specific headphone amps measure well at very high output, though if the specs are accurate, the AMB B22 should be more than adequate, as should the Schiit Asgard 2. I can't unreservedly recommend either of these, since I haven't seen a complete set of measurements on either, but if the designs are well done, they should both be able to power an HE-6 just fine. An O2 should also be able to power the HE6 if (and only if) you listen to your music at a low enough level that the loudest volume spikes don't exceed the capability of the amp. If the published specs for the HE-6 are accurate, this should be true for the majority of listeners, but if Jude's measurements on the HE-6 are accurate (which imply a significantly lower sensitivity than the manufacturer's spec), the O2 becomes a much more questionable proposition.

(In fact, given the power demands of the HE-6, it might make sense to use an inexpensive speaker amp to drive them, since many of the headphone amps capable of doing the job are relatively expensive anyways).

While from their respective spec sheets the Asgard 2 should be able to sufficiently drive the HE-6, it falls solidly on its face when compared to a decent speaker amp.  

And it turns out, there is a lot of difference between "being able to power the HE-6 just fine" and doing an amazing job of driving the HE-6.  For most of us, a "price no object" headphone amp is just out of the question.  However, with careful selection of a quality speaker amp, one can truly experience "summit-fi" with the HE-6. 

Aug 6, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #77 of 95
  While from their respective spec sheets the Asgard 2 should be able to sufficiently drive the HE-6, it falls solidly on its face when compared to a decent speaker amp.  

And it turns out, there is a lot of difference between "being able to power the HE-6 just fine" and doing an amazing job of driving the HE-6.  For most of us, a "price no object" headphone amp is just out of the question.  However, with careful selection of a quality speaker amp, one can truly experience "summit-fi" with the HE-6. 

Can you tell us about the level matched bias controlled listening test used to determine this?

Aug 6, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #78 of 95
Can you tell us about the level matched bias controlled listening test used to determine this?

Can you? It's time to put your cards on the table. We've asked you a couple of times already: Which tests have you done with HE6 and speaker amps? If you haven't, don't try to make it look like you have.

Aug 6, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #80 of 95
Can you? It's time to put your cards on the table. We've asked you a couple of times already: Which tests have you done with HE6 and speaker amps? If you haven't, don't try to make it look like you have.

Here's the fun part about science - tests matter. To demonstrate that a high powered speaker amp is superior to the Asgard 2 (or any other well-measuring amp) at driving the HE-6, one must have test results otherwise it is a useless anecdote. The person pointing out the uselessness of the anecdote does not need test results however, since all they are doing is advancing the null hypothesis (that there is no audible difference between any two competent amps driven below clipping when properly level matched).

Nice try at shifting the burden of proof though.

Aug 6, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #81 of 95
Here's the fun part about science - tests matter. To demonstrate that a high powered speaker amp is superior to the Asgard 2 (or any other well-measuring amp) at driving the HE-6, one must have test results otherwise it is a useless anecdote. The person pointing out the uselessness of the anecdote does not need test results however, since all they are doing is advancing the null hypothesis (that there is no audible difference between any two competent amps driven below clipping when properly level matched).

Nice try at shifting the burden of proof though.

I haven't argued it either way. And the guy still has to answer the question if he wants anyone to pay attention to him. You do too, by the way.

Aug 6, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #82 of 95

I understand exactly what Blades position is, he's stated it more than once, the first paragraph of his post #60 is a clue. Does he need to specifically test the HE-6 to make the claim he's made? No, the "ANY competent amp with ANY headphone" statement is unequivocal and not difficult to understand.
He has invited anybody to do a level matched, double blind listening test to prove him wrong and even given the methodology for the test. Conduct the test a prove him right or wrong, simple really, no need for sturm und drang.

Aug 6, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #83 of 95
"I'm trying to figure out why those that own HE-6 is prefering speaker amps."

That was the OP's question. Frankly, most of those owning the HE-6 won't come here because of the nonsense. The science templars haven't had the headphone or experience but want to wave the science flag at anyone trying to answer. Derailing the thread.

Save the children.........

Aug 6, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #84 of 95

No, I haven't.  I've done tons of tests with tons of amplifiers.  There isn't anything electronic about the headphones when compared to a speaker.  It is perfectly normal to project results to the headphones.

Aug 6, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #85 of 95
I understand exactly what Blades position is, he's stated it more than once, the first paragraph of his post #60 is a clue. Does he need to specifically test the HE-6 to make the claim he's made? No, the "ANY competent amp with ANY headphone" statement is unequivocal and not difficult to understand.
He has invited anybody to do a level matched, double blind listening test to prove him wrong and even given the methodology for the test. Conduct the test a prove him right or wrong, simple really, no need for sturm und drang.

It is a matter of ego.  That's why I get the responses I get. There is no interest in learning.  There is only a desire to protect the beliefs.   Nothing I can do about that.  I'll go away now so that those who feel threatened by facts can feel less threatened.  Best of luck to all of you.  Love the sound of the HiFi Man headphones, by the way.

Aug 6, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #86 of 95
It is a matter of ego.  That's why I get the responses I get. There is no interest in learning.  There is only a desire to protect the beliefs.   Nothing I can do about that.  I'll go away now so that those who feel threatened by facts can feel less threatened.  Best of luck to all of you.  Love the sound of the HiFi Man headphones, by the way.

Yeah, we're all threatened by your mighty inexperience. :rolleyes: Bye.

Aug 6, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #87 of 95

You say no, but some of us say - yes.  After all the title of this thread is "Why would those with HE-6 prefer speaker amps?"  Specifically.. 

Aug 6, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #89 of 95
In the Sound Science forum. Specifically...

Yeah - but in this "Specific" thread..  Go figure.. 
cool.gif

Aug 6, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #90 of 95

A/B box comparison, carefully level matched with pink noise.  No idea which amp was on which channel until after the test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back