Why We Switched Forum Platforms
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 6, 2017 at 2:30 AM Post #46 of 104
I do understand your frustration with how search is at the moment.

I'm not sure if this will help until we can get search more sorted, but here's the advanced search page:

If it helps, bookmark it. We hope to have search (including search-in-thread) better sorted for you very soon...hopefully enough to eventually delete that bookmark.

I'm Glad you guys are actively working to fix it. Please make it as identical to the previous search algorithm as possible. it was brilliant, easy to use, If I wanted to know about something I'd just type in the name and get to the main discussions page in a jiffy and go through user experiences. Now It's almost impossible to find the thread you're looking for, unless and until you already have it in your "followed threads". so you can't really search for anything new like this. But, I shall give the advanced search a go, although it seems rather complex.

May 6, 2017 at 2:38 AM Post #47 of 104
Thanks for this post, I really appreciate it. Now I feel bad for the few comments I made. Please accept my apologise. It wouldnt have been easy trying to compile the extensive HF forum into a new platform.

May 6, 2017 at 3:13 AM Post #48 of 104
The thing that frustrated me most was having a very significant change occur with no real warning. One day it was normal, next day we are stuck with a very very buggy and completely different forum. That's what got to me most I think.

May 6, 2017 at 3:29 AM Post #49 of 104
The thing that frustrated me most was having a very significant change occur with no real warning. One day it was normal, next day we are stuck with a very very buggy and completely different forum. That's what got to me most I think.

You're not the only one who felt that way, and, again, I do understand why one would.

Earlier I responded to someone else about this which you can read by clicking here. I understand you may not agree with me on this; but, again, faced with the same circumstances (even knowing what I know now), I'd make the same decision.

May 6, 2017 at 4:18 AM Post #50 of 104
When something like this happens, there are a lot of considerations on the sides of both businesses to consider. The decisions that were made were not theirs alone--we had decisions to make, too, regarding issues of resources (human and otherwise), the timing for everyone, etc.

A lot of these considerations are business-related, between both parties, and not really something that I'd discuss here.

We have a lot of friends over at Huddler/Wikia--from their development and support staff to their highest levels of management--and I know they feel the same way--and though our businesses are parting, we'll always remain friends.
I see. Are you considering going into politics pal? :ksc75smile:

May 6, 2017 at 6:17 AM Post #52 of 104
First off, thanks to the Head-Fi team for all the hard work and time put in on this transition.

I don't post very often but I do a lot of reading and I've learned a ton in the last two years or so. I have a very limited budget and I rely heavily on info from HF to make the best decisions on gear that I can.

I don't blame you at all for not giving more notice. You had to change and that's that. I imagine that not only did you not have time to discuss it, most of you were already frustrated and over-worked and just didn't want to hear about it.

I agree with some others on wanting a dark mode, the current is a bit fatiguing for long reading, but I understand if that takes a back seat to more important issues.
As for as advertising goes, well that's the price we pay for not paying a price. :triportsad:

Again thanks and best wishes.

May 6, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #55 of 104
The week or two post-change traffic upswing can probably be explained by curiosity for those that want to check things out. Either returning members or even new.. I'm sure the sudden changes created a little buzz. I think you'd have to look at it a little broader than that pic to have any meaningful data though.

Personally, I didn't like how we weren't told about this beforehand (as stated above) but I do think the new platform has some good potential. It certainly looks more modern. Imo I think focus right now should probably be on fixing bugs. I try to post the ones I run into personally.

May 6, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #56 of 104
I would like to thank Jude and the other Admin folks who have worked so hard to make the new platform better.
Head-Fi is great because of the great people who come here. We will manage the transition and come out stronger than ever.

May 6, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #57 of 104
The past 16 years have been good fun.

A forum platform change is just a minor adjustment on the way to the next 16 years of fun...

Bring it on! :) :) :)

As a newcomer to the site (since last month), I'm still in learning mode. This site provides me with a UNIQUE experience. ThinkTek (a YouTube channel) put me onto you -- and I'm glad it happened. I agree with Beowulf... turn it to ELEVEN (11/10)!
11 out of 10.jpg

May 6, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #58 of 104
The week or two post-change traffic upswing can probably be explained by curiosity for those that want to check things out. Either returning members or even new.. I'm sure the sudden changes created a little buzz. I think you'd have to look at it a little broader than that pic to have any meaningful data though...

The traffic (and why we've seen a bump since the DNS changes settled after the first day) is not our primary concern right now. We've got plenty else to deal with here.

...Personally, I didn't like how we weren't told about this beforehand (as stated above) but I do think the new platform has some good potential. It certainly looks more modern. Imo I think focus right now should probably be on fixing bugs. I try to post the ones I run into personally.

Regarding not having posted about this before we made the change: Again, I explained my position in detail in the thread-originating post and further in another post in this thread. I stand by my decision (for the reasons I've previously stated), even if some don't agree with me.

I do agree with you that the focus should be on fixing bugs and restoring what we still need to restore, which is definitely what we're focused on here.

Last edited:
May 6, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #59 of 104
Jude,

I was surprised as many other were...and the first thing when I saw this new "look" was to ask why? No emails, no notification etc....I was not asking for a debate or discussion, this is YOUR website and we are just end users.

You have the right to do what you may....and you did..good or bad...and your taking the arrows and having to explain your reasons...fair enough.

After reading your reasons, I really think you could have sent out a email or notification on the site that for reasons that cant be discussed right now the site has to migrate to a new format that we will explain in detail as soon as possible.You could have apologized in this note for any issues or inconvenience this might cause...and stay tuned.

I saw the new site and tried to log in, but I couldnt log in...I tried to change my password and got a note stating an email will be sent to my email address to change my password. I never got a email?

So I just gave up like many of us loyal participants and thought something else might be going on here and just sit back and wait for a few days and see what happens....

The rest is now history.....I hope you learn from this one...regardless of the urgency a notification on the site could have been done as a courtesy...I hope this is taken the right way...

Alex

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back