why using tidal on daps suck ????
Feb 9, 2020 at 2:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Sound Eq

Headphoneus Supremus
I am hooked into the streaming , and most of the time I like to listen to tidal, at home I use my tidal via audirivana and everything sounds great

enter into android dap world, and this is where I just hate listening to streaming, for example the difference between mango os player in ibasso dx220 and tidal playing same album same remaster is really big

i have no complain whatsoever using dx220 ,using its mango os player, but we really need a solution with streaming. well i tried something downloaded an album from tidal using some software ( dont ask me how :) , and then put that album on my sd card, and one time played it through tidal streaming, and one time through uapp tidal and then through mango os, man the mango os playback difference is so much better

Any idea why this is happening , and is this across all daps, are there daps that handle tidal streaming better than others

Feb 9, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #2 of 28
I am hooked into the streaming , and most of the time I like to listen to tidal, at home I use my tidal via audirivana and everything sounds great

enter into android dap world, and this is where I just hate listening to streaming, for example the difference between mango os player in ibasso dx220 and tidal playing same album same remaster is really big

i have no complain whatsoever using dx220 ,using its mango os player, but we really need a solution with streaming. well i tried something downloaded an album from tidal using some software ( dont ask me how :) , and then put that album on my sd card, and one time played it through tidal streaming, and one time through uapp tidal and then through mango os, man the mango os playback difference is so much better

Any idea why this is happening , and is this across all daps, are there daps that handle tidal streaming better than others
Are you using Tidal app from the playstore? Or does DX220 have a bit-perfect app? If not, install USB Audio Player Pro and try Tidal and compare. You can also try the DAP as usb DAC and see if you hear differences.

Feb 10, 2020 at 1:50 AM Post #4 of 28
Are you using Tidal app from the playstore? Or does DX220 have a bit-perfect app? If not, install USB Audio Player Pro and try Tidal and compare. You can also try the DAP as usb DAC and see if you hear differences.
i tried via uapp a bit better than standalone tidal but mango os playback is way way better

Feb 10, 2020 at 5:19 AM Post #5 of 28
i tried via uapp a bit better than standalone tidal but mango os playback is way way better
So, are you saying file playback is better than Tidal streaming or file playback from iBasso's stock player is better? Have you compared file playack from UAPP and stock player?

Are you just saying Tidal doesn't sound as good as the music file itself? Same on on your desktop rig as well?

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #6 of 28
Could it be negotiating a lower quality stream because you don't have as robust an internet connection on the road as you do at home?

Feb 10, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #7 of 28
Could it be negotiating a lower quality stream because you don't have as robust an internet connection on the road as you do at home?
i am doing the comparison using a great wifi router at home

Feb 10, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #8 of 28
So, are you saying file playback is better than Tidal streaming or file playback from iBasso's stock player is better? Have you compared file playack from UAPP and stock player?

Are you just saying Tidal doesn't sound as good as the music file itself? Same on on your desktop rig as well?
playback from tidal ( tidal apps or tidal via uapp ) lacks in comparison to mango os , on ibasso dx220

Feb 10, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #9 of 28
Perhaps the player has some sort of sound processing (EQ?) going on.

Feb 10, 2020 at 8:19 PM Post #10 of 28

Just know you are stuck using the free version of UAPP without the google play store.

The side loaded uapp is probably not functioning properly for not being installed traditionally from the Play store.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2020 at 2:32 AM Post #11 of 28
Just know you are stuck using the free version of UAPP without the google play store.

The side loaded uapp is probably not functioning properly for not being installed traditionally from the Play store.
i am using the uapp from playstore, as I have playstore installed on my dx220

Still what matters to me is and tidal , and it lacks in comparison to playback of same file from sd card using mango os

This leads me to believe that streaming via tidal or tidal via UAPP, is not at its optimal and is affected by android, period

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2020 at 6:32 AM Post #12 of 28
i am using the uapp from playstore, as I have playstore installed on my dx220

Still what matters to me is and tidal , and it lacks in comparison to playback of same file from sd card using mango os

This leads me to believe that streaming via tidal or tidal via UAPP, is not at its optimal and is affected by android, period

Do you have both not set to MQA.? Use a track set to HiFi on Tidal. And non mqa on UAPP.

Feb 11, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #13 of 28

shouldn't matter as long as Tidal is working and in bit-perfect. You just get the latest updates through Playstore.

Is there going to be sound difference between new and old versions? We're not going to go there.

I want to know is desktop Tidal app on Windows or Mac sound different from any type of Android version, and also if actual file and desktop Tidal app differs in sonic characteristics.

Science section will not help figure this out. We need device engineers to answer these questions like iBasso Engineer. People here will only dicuss beliefs.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #14 of 28
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back