Why to people remove the sale price and put SOLD instead?
Nov 21, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #16 of 36

ZoNtO

1000+ Head-Fier
I just make it a practice to do the following:

1. Put sold in the thread title so people know from the get-go that the item isn't available anymore.

2. Put SOLD SOLD SOLD as the first line in the thread and then double space down to where my original body text started (just in case someone missed the thread title

3. Put sold $last posted selling price$ sold so that people see my last price drop basically and implying that it was sold at the price. Usually it is so I don't worry about anything else. If anything, it's a bit more than that because of paypal fees.

I do think that it's a good idea especially because a lot of people here are into profiteering and that's not something I agree with on these forums. I think our goal should be to give each other the best deals, and if making a profit is our goal to sell the stuff on Amazon/eBay if it's a popular item. I seriously laugh when people post stuff here at near new prices just because it's a FOTM or something and even though the item may be worth that much I don't buy it simply to hold to my standards. I think it's ridiculous.

Anyway, I'm sure this thread will get closed soon anyway and most people won't even read it...

Nov 21, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #17 of 36

TopPop

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It gets removed because people are sheep who mindlessly follow what they see everyone else doing. I encourage new headfiers to leave the selling price in the post after the item is sold.

Yes, yes, yes, you are obviously a much better person than the rest of us, and I, for one, am ashamed to even be using the same Internet as you, since you are on a completely different plane of human existence, and much further along in the process of the evolution of our species.

Let's all point at me and scoff. Bah, bah, bah... I'm a sheep.

Nov 21, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #18 of 36

dcpoor

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm personally for the leaving of sale prices after it's been sold. It helps to discourage buying for the sole intent of reselling to a certain degree. I've seen several instances where items were bought at a great/good price then quickly put back on the FS forums at a significantly higher price.

Nov 21, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #19 of 36

Ub3rMario

500+ Head-Fier
I don't know if this has been mentioned already, but personally if i'm selling I appreciate other sellers removing the price. Why? Because maybe someone sold the same thing i'm selling but at a ridiculously low price just because he/she was desperate to get some cash.

That impacts me because buyers may look back and be like "Wow no way i won't pay that price because that other guy sold for so much lower. These phones aren't worth as much as he's asking for!"

It may cause a false impression that certain items are worth less than they actually are.

Nov 21, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #20 of 36

Wmcmanus

President treasurer secretary and sole member of the Cayman Islands Head-Fi Club.
To spawn threads like this one.

Nov 21, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #21 of 36

kg21

1000+ Head-Fier
There is an easy solution to this, that they do on diablo2 trading. A trade value or a price check forum where people can just ask or maybe even make a sticky that has a database.

Nov 22, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #22 of 36

Paul_in_Maryland

100+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ub3rMario /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know if this has been mentioned already, but personally if i'm selling I appreciate other sellers removing the price. Why? Because maybe someone sold the same thing i'm selling but at a ridiculously low price just because he/she was desperate to get some cash.

That impacts me because buyers may look back and be like "Wow no way i won't pay that price because that other guy sold for so much lower. These phones aren't worth as much as he's asking for!"

It may cause a false impression that certain items are worth less than they actually are.

Yet eBay, which is beholden to its sellers, allows buyers to look up the "sold" prices for the past 90 days. If eBay grants buyers this advantage, doesn't that suggest that to do otherwise is unreasonable?

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but when I read comments like the foregoing, I think that what the seller meant is:
"I'm smart enough to understand that an item may have sold at a bargain price because its seller was desperate...but others aren't as smart as I am."

Nov 22, 2008 at 2:33 AM Post #23 of 36

Paul_in_Maryland

100+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by digger945 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^Why don't you leave it up to the buyer to decide fi he/she wants the price removed or shown for all to see.

Has anyone in this thread suggested that this choice should be removed? Our goal is to criticize and discourage the practice, not to ban it.

Nov 22, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #24 of 36

BushGuy

Headphoneus Supremus
A) starting this thread HERE, where the threads of actual sellers get pushed down below it (particularly as posts accumulate to the thread.
B) not posting SOLD in the title when something has been sold - to say don't waste your time looking.
C) putting up the meaningless "sale pending" - which really says the seller hopes the buyer completes the transaction, which doesn't happen.......sometimes. The seller, in doing that, will lose readers who WOULD have actually made the purchase. I have done what many others fail to do - PM such a seller and tell him of my interest if the sale does not go through......and I have bought 3 items because those "pending sales" did not go to completion.
D) WTB postings for common items - they make no sense because if they watch the F.S. adverts. - what they want always comes up in a week or two. The bad effect of the advert puts ads of current sellers further down the Q. .......WTB are only appropriate for rare or discontinued items.

Nov 22, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #25 of 36

XXII

Headphoneus Supremus
i think the price should be removed otherwise it perpetuates a price trend (usually upward). This, for example, is seen in the the crazy prices for PS-1s seen lately. If all those selling prices were confidential, no doubt, the current "market" price would be a lot lower.

Removing prices forces future sellers to price their stuff appropriately. Yes, it makes things difficult for buyers but buyers always have the brand new price as a reference point so I don't see what's so difficult about this.

Nov 22, 2008 at 5:05 AM Post #26 of 36

Uncle Erik

Uncle Exotic
Quote:

Originally Posted by DunninLA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I usually can deduce that information from the number of times the seller drops the price.... (assuming that information isn't all erased after the sale)

Not always the case. For some rare and difficult to find items, the price can privately go a little higher.

Part of me would like to see the prices stay. However, what's listed does not always reflect the final selling price or the actual market value.

And for those who would like to peer into the past, there's always the Wayback Machine:

Internet Archive Wayback Machine

Nov 22, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #27 of 36

Sovkiller

Proved that despite its huge size the CD3000 can be shoved down one's throat.
deadhorse.gif
deadhorse.gif
deadhorse.gif

Nov 22, 2008 at 6:22 AM Post #28 of 36

NeObliviscaris

Niiice!
Previously known as FeedMeTrance
b4 this gets closed, if u see some of my old sale posts, i think its good keeping the price, good for those doing research on prices etc

Nov 22, 2008 at 7:17 AM Post #30 of 36

baglunch

100+ Head-Fier
Leave the price, and do NOT make a new post just to say it's sold (which bumps your now useless thread above people that are trying to sell). Merely edit the title and text of the OP to reflect the sold status.

Users who are viewing this thread