Why to people remove the sale price and put SOLD instead?
Nov 21, 2008 at 5:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

DunninLA

100+ Head-Fier
*edit* I mean putting SOLD in PLACE of the asking and selling price. I like that SOLD is edited into the title, but not that all pricing information is edited out.

------------------

I'm wondering about this because as I try to educate myself about the amount I should expect to spend on phones or other gear, the information is gone and unsearchable once it's sold.

This makes buyers more tenatative about actual current market values, and makes sellers unsure about the price at which to list their items.

I like the ebay feature that allows me to see the sold price for items.. it is under Advance Search, and then "Completed Auctions Only" button.

e.g. Super Great phones that list for $350 and can be bought new at Amazon for say $210 all in (inc. tax and ship) -- at what price to list 1 year old pair? With the sold prices removed from older ads, how does a seller know that a listing that says: "Super Great Phones ... List $350, one year old, perfect condition, $190" would seem way too expensive unless the seller sees that the Super Great phones that listed at $180 last month sold for $140? If the seller had that information, seller could be more realistic about the current market price, and whether to sell for that price, or just keep them.

What do you think?

Nov 21, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #2 of 36

Paul_in_Maryland

100+ Head-Fier
I think you're absolutely right to be annoyed. I am, too! The argument for retaining the "sold" price is compelling; the argument for removing it is not.

Nov 21, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #3 of 36

digger945

Headphoneus Supremus
I think that this is done as a courtesy to the buyer.
I think that it is annoying to look at a FS ad only to get to the bottom and find out that the item has been sold, or even worse, PM the seller and THEN find out the item was sold MONTHS AGO.
If you bought something at a bargain, would you necessarily want everyone to know what exactly you paid for it?
Even if it was far below the current market value?

Nov 21, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #4 of 36

DunninLA

100+ Head-Fier
digger -- I think sales work best and quicker when both seller and buyer have a decent idea about actual market pricing -- that is, the price things actually sell at. Better for both parties.

I should have been clear -- I LIKE that SOLD is put into the title... I don't like that the asking price, and selling price, are usually removed... just seems counterproductive to the utility of this site for *both* sellers and buyers.

Nov 21, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #5 of 36

TopPop

Headphoneus Supremus
That's an excellent question, actually! To be honest, the only reason that I do it is because other people do it; I thought that there was some rule about it or something.

If there's no rule, then I'll start only putting "SOLD" in the title....

Nov 21, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #6 of 36

robm321

Headphoneus Supremus
I think everyone would be better off if they leave the price.

I've yet to hear a good argument for erasing it. You can put sold anywhere while keeping the price.

I think some take the lemming approach and do it because they see others do it without wondering why

Nov 21, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #8 of 36

krmathis

Head-Fi's Most Prolific Poster
Well, this thread just failed one of the sticky rules for the FS forum.
wink.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/no...on-forum-9917/

Also read this thread http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f11/cl...-sells-250383/

Nov 21, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #9 of 36

DunninLA

100+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by digger945 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you bought something at a bargain, would you necessarily want everyone to know what exactly you paid for it? Even if it was far below the current market value?

How could someone buy a piece of gear for "far below the current market value" if it is listed in a public site like this?

Do you mean the seller, not knowing the current market value (because that information is usually removed from older ads), underpriced their listing?

Nov 21, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #10 of 36

philodox

Headphoneus Supremus
This has been asked many times before, but for what it's worth, I agree with you. I find it very irritating when people remove the prices.

Nov 21, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #11 of 36

DunninLA

100+ Head-Fier
krmathis... if you read that carefully, that rule seems to be crafted to prohibit comments within "for sale" listings about the item for sale or its price.

If this thread doesn't belong here, I guess a moderator will move it or kill it.

Nov 21, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #12 of 36

DunninLA

100+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What if it was sold, but not for the price mentioned?

I usually can deduce that information from the number of times the seller drops the price.... (assuming that information isn't all erased after the sale)

Nov 21, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #13 of 36

digger945

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:

Originally Posted by DunninLA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How could someone buy a piece of gear for "far below the current market value" if it is listed in a public site like this?

Do you mean the seller, not knowing the current market value (because that information is usually removed from older ads), underpriced their listing?

Have you never bought something on Head-Fi that was listed as"Must sell", or "I really need the money NOW", or "I am funding a Xxxxx build and need funds"?
For example, I just bought 10 6GM8 tubes for $110 on the Cables, etc FS forum. Now this tube is still around on the net, but I bet you will not find it for less than $20(if you do then PM me please
icon10.gif
). $11 each, to me that's a bargain(and certainly below the price internet sellers want).
Matter of fact, most of what I have bought on HF was at what I consider a good bargain.
Given the opportunity,I will do business with a Head-Fi'er first.
The list of HFers I have traded with is getting pretty long now, and I have ZERO complaints.
Head-Fi rocks,
Scott
EDIT: I think your question is legit, or I wouldn't take the time to correspond
biggrin.gif

Nov 21, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #14 of 36

chadbang

Headphoneus Supremus
It gets removed because people are sheep who mindlessly follow what they see everyone else doing. I encourage new headfiers to leave the selling price in the post after the item is sold.

Users who are viewing this thread