Why the Beats Hate?
Sep 4, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #422 of 2,037
  That's because 90% of the "dubstep" you hear these days is a abominable bastardization of the genre.
This is a decent example of what the genre originated as.  Actually pretty calm and smooth.  Not the ******* mess that you hear post-skrillex.  Everything post-skrillex really needs a new genre classification.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NKY31AaB-g

I actually prefer this "new dubstep" to what you just posted

Sep 5, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #423 of 2,037
  I actually prefer this "new dubstep" to what you just posted

+1. I never thought real dubstep sounded like this. It's so...boring
 Originally Posted by kuhchuk 

This is a decent example of what the genre originated as.  Actually pretty calm and smooth.  Not the ******* mess that you hear post-skrillex.  Everything post-skrillex really needs a new genre classification.

Umm, most kinds of dubstep post-Skrillex is called brostep. I'm surprised you didn't know that.

Sep 10, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #425 of 2,037

I'm fine with both personally, but then again I also listen to things like prog house, chill, hardstyle, hardcore and just about any other electronic genre.

Lol, I also listen to a lot of electronic music. Problem  is, I don't know how to decribe any of it. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 10, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #426 of 2,037

Lol, I also listen to a lot of electronic music. Problem  is, I don't know how to decribe any of it. 
biggrin.gif

Wubwubwubwubwubwubwuwbwubwub - Dubstep
Du du du bee bee beee dudeudeiduebebeugbfsdixjrseisweapffoiesyayayayyayhehfieheeeeeee - prog house
clap clap clap burrr burrr burr burrr clap burrr burr burr burr calp - hardstyle
badumtss boom boom tss boom boom - DnB

Sep 11, 2013 at 5:12 AM Post #427 of 2,037

Wubwubwubwubwubwubwuwbwubwub - Dubstep
Du du du bee bee beee dudeudeiduebebeugbfsdixjrseisweapffoiesyayayayyayhehfieheeeeeee - prog house
clap clap clap burrr burrr burr burrr clap burrr burr burr burr calp - hardstyle
badumtss boom boom tss boom boom - DnB

Some links or song titles would've been great, but this will do. 
biggrin.gif

However, I have listened to some DnB, so I think I know what it would sound like. Thanks a bunch for the insight.

Sep 11, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #428 of 2,037

Some links or song titles would've been great, but this will do. 
biggrin.gif

However, I have listened to some DnB, so I think I know what it would sound like. Thanks a bunch for the insight.

Example of DnB

Example of hardstyle

Dubstep is rather blurred in terms of definition but you know the difference between it and "brostep".

Sep 11, 2013 at 5:56 AM Post #429 of 2,037
Too many damn sub-genres in electronica.....lol

Sep 11, 2013 at 7:17 AM Post #430 of 2,037

Example of DnB

Example of hardstyle

Dubstep is rather blurred in terms of definition but you know the difference between it and "brostep".

Thanks.
   Clockwork Hearts sounds like a track taken straight from your regular racing game, but yeah, DnB is cool. I had a pretty bad first impression when I listened to a remix of Taylor Swift's "I Knew You Were Trouble" in DnB. It was...it simply had no words.
   Your hardstyle example reminds me of a few tracks I listened to somewhere. Pretty cool, btw. Thanks again.

Dec 5, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #431 of 2,037
I don't know why, but Beats has a certain appeal to me. My very first pair of Beats was the original Studios - in black. I didn't know what I was expecting, really. Every time I go to any electronics retailer that sells them, the Beats stand would always the one most accessible for demo use by customers. One day, I decided to get a pair. Sure, they were $499 AUD at the time, but I wanted to know the feeling of owning the world's most hated big-brand headphone. 

When I first opened up the box, I was met with beautiful packaging. Obviously, this was to impress the average consumer who cares about first impressions. The way the box slid open and unfolded to reveal the accessories on one side and the headphone on the other was unforgettable. I've never seen any headphone manufacturer care about packaging aesthetics this much. The cables and adapters were neatly stowed in its own little compartment, and so was the documentation. The headphone itself was, to my surprise, hidden in a mysterious looking oval-shaped zip case. Opening it revealed a pair of Beats Studios that were folded for portability.

I have to say, the Beats really is one of the most well designed headphones I've ever seen, both cosmetically and functionality-wise. The way everything comes together - the way the headband curves to the two earcups and such. The hinge mechanism is quite impressive. It pivots vertically at the yoke, and horizontally inside the earcup itself; sort of like a universal joint. I felt like the headphones were made specially for my big head.

In terms of use, the Beats were equally as impressive. The detachable cable is nice and slim, and the iSoniTalk cable only had a single button, so you could say it was fully compatible with both iPhone and Android. 

The audio was what really got me. It was prominently bass heavy, but surprisingly detailed to the untrained ear. The active noise isolation was noticeable, but also noticeably noisy. All in all, this would lead the average listener to think of the Beats as a detailed headphone that has active noise isolation that worked. Some people may not notice the difference if it were a Bose QC15 maybe because it did the job a bit too well. If you do something right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all, right? This may have been the case.

Anyway, moving on. I'm boring myself with my reminiscing.

My second pair of Beats was the Pro Detox. mysteriously dark, very heavy and sounded crystal clear (relative to other bassy Beats models). The rotating earcup design is interesting. The black finish scratched easily to reveal the true nature of aluminium. It clamped my head too tightly, and leaked more than the Studios.

My third pair was the Beats Executive. It was like revisiting the Studios all over again. It was like combining the headband and rigid gunmetal construction of the Pros with the portable form factor and ANC of the Studios. It felt even better built than the Pros. 

Current situation: 

Beats Studios - headband broken in one side. After some very heavy modifications, they are now wireless and have two stainless steel headbands. 

Beats Pro Detox - headband broke in both sides. After repairing them myself, I sold them to someone.

Beats Executives - headband broken at right hinge. Rewired and now out of service. The speaker drivers were an improvement over the Studios', so now they're in the Studios.

TL;DR: Beats appear to be good until they break. I have mixed feelings about them.

About the hate, I don't know why. Maybe it's cool to hate Beats without ever having personal experience with them.

Dec 6, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #434 of 2,037
Because our Sennheiser or Stax headphones are not drawing the attention like the Beats headphones. So we try to devalue the Beats headphones to make our headphones more popular.

Dec 6, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #435 of 2,037
  Because our Sennheiser or Stax headphones are not drawing the attention like the Beats headphones. So we try to devalue the Beats headphones to make our headphones more popular.

This sounds about right. Simply saying that "because they suck" would be immature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back