Why Stax is the best headphone I have ever heard.
Apr 18, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #61 of 120
Quote:

Just got my stax kit (SRM-313 + SR-Lamba Classic 303, and I'm also using a SR-X MK2)

OM FREAKY GOD... I have a sneaky feeling my HD650 isn't going to be used a lot

Oh well... I'm in a new level of audio Bliss...

I have to say your set had a kind of special touch (I AM serious)
Like the amp and the Headphones were made (balanced) for each other.

How do you like the SRM-313 with the SR-X ?

Apr 18, 2008 at 3:41 AM Post #62 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by pipoplus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

SR-X Mk2 should be paired with a normal-bias amp or energizer, not an SRM-313 which is pro-bias. Luckily, that extra pin on the connector keeps you from plugging it in.

Apr 18, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #64 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnerH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In your extremely humble opinion right?
cool.gif

J

Not sure.. Eveyone that thinks stax are the greatest seem to think it's fact instead of opinion. May prefer dynamic. Like everything in audio, it's preference.

Apr 18, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #65 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure.. Eveyone that thinks stax are the greatest seem to think it's fact instead of opinion. May prefer dynamic. Like everything in audio, it's preference.

Yes, and many of my friends prefer their Bose or ibuds to my entire headphone collection. My preference for planar headphones must just be a matter of opinion.

Apr 18, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #66 of 120
It is official: I've gone STAX.

I got my pair of STAX SR-Lambda hybrid earspeakers from spritzer two days ago, and they generate the highest fidelity sound I've ever heard. Ever since I first heard the Lambdas about a year and a half ago, I knew I had to have a pair. They possess a level of clarity and articulation that no dynamic headphone (or speaker) can ever touch. Every last detail of the music is laid bare: the buzzing of a guitar string, the texture of a bassline, the overtones of a violin, the hard attack of a drum, the spittle in the back of a singer's throat. Where a dynamic headphone would have trouble "keeping up" with the music, the electrostatic headphone never trips up.

The weird thing is that the headphone actually moves only a small amount of air, and you cannot feel the impact of the sound on your head; it is as if the sound is coming out of thin air, just like everyone says.

The most noticeable difference is the sheer speed of the headphone's attack. A dynamic headphone has a relatively much larger amount of "lead-in" to a sudden transient like a string being plucked, for example. This headphone has none that I can hear, giving a very lifelike impact and hardness to these kinds of sounds. Sudden bass impacts are like getting hit in the face with a sack of concrete. Ghostly concrete that appears out of thin air.
wink.gif

Another plus is the headphone's ability to render great detail in both the bass and treble regions at the same time. Any normal headphone begins to suffer from severe intermodulation distortion in such a situation. The bass causes a large driver excursion which hinders the proper rendering of treble frequencies. But this driver is so thin and light that IMD is no longer noticeable.

Yes. Yes, STAX is awesome. We need more STAX threads.

P.S. Who says electrostatic headphones don't have bass? These things are bassy. The tactile impact isn't quite as big (but it is there), but they have at least as much audible bass an HD650. Unfortunately, the HD650s can't even touch them when it comes to delicate articulation.

Apr 18, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #67 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know what all the fuss is about, Stax sucks.

Ok! I'll remember that next time you rave in a Stax thread.
wink.gif

Apr 18, 2008 at 6:36 AM Post #68 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok! I'll remember that next time you rave in a Stax thread.
wink.gif

tongue.gif

So, how's that Pro doing? Mine are awesome. I'm hoping to get the things fully housed this weekend then start on the woody Gamma and woody Lambda . It's fun being able to finally get the tools up and running.
cool.gif

Must get felt and grill mesh from somewhere...

Apr 18, 2008 at 6:39 AM Post #69 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's my system too - Lambda Pros/SRM-1/MK-2.

A friend knew I wanted to try out electrostatics and lent me this system. After a week I told him he wasn't getting it back and I bought it from him.

I'm curious to try out different headphones with the amp. How do you like the 404?

Overall the SR-404 is a superior phone, but on first listen is not so obvious.

The SR-Lambda Pro has a lower treble/upper mid spike that makes it sounds really detailed, or at least it emphasises those frequencies.

SR-404 on the other hand is to my ears a lot more balanced across the spectrum, with a warmer mid and deeper bass. It is also a lot more micro-detailed ie. as you listen to music you start to hear things you didn't with the SR-Lambda Pros, even though it sounds more laid back and relaxed.

I'm using the SR-404 exclusively now, but whip out the old Lambda pro occasionally too.

Apr 18, 2008 at 7:07 AM Post #70 of 120
Been reading up a lot about Stax lately. So whats so special (in general) about them compared to dynamic headphones? Are there any cons to them? Kind of debating whether or not I should take the plunge, was looking at SRS-3050II Classic system, anyone heard them or have any thoughts on them, and how much would be a good price on them?
tongue.gif

Apr 18, 2008 at 7:09 AM Post #71 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by pipoplus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to say your set had a kind of special touch (I AM serious)
Like the amp and the Headphones were made (balanced) for each other.

Really good combination on both fronts, the Lambda's are a more smooth grain to follow, while IMO the SR-X are a bit more punchy.

I find that when the SR-X is fully charged it makes you feel like the sounds is jumping at you, while the lambdas have a surround feeling (as described b4) it's like the sound's coming out of everywhere and nowhere at the same time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SR-X Mk2 should be paired with a normal-bias amp or energizer, not an SRM-313 which is pro-bias. Luckily, that extra pin on the connector keeps you from plugging it in.

Have to point this out to you but the SRM-313 has a Normal Bias on it? So in essence I can have both plugged in at the same time...

On a last note on the SR-X vs. Lambda... After a while the SR-X start becoming a real chore to wear due to miss comforton to the ears (shame really, I do really like listening to them), I get no just problem with the Lambdas...

I'm still undecided about both of them (what's better / worse), I love them both and to be fair they've both got they're own sound signatures. Oh well, it's a good job I've got all the time in the world, to decide
biggrin.gif

J

Apr 18, 2008 at 8:13 AM Post #72 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is official: I've gone STAX.

I got my pair of STAX SR-Lambda hybrid earspeakers from spritzer two days ago, and they generate the highest fidelity sound I've ever heard.
<snip>

Welcome to the team!
smily_headphones1.gif

The SR-Lambda get really great feedback around here, so you picked wisely.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tongue.gif

So, how's that Pro doing? Mine are awesome. I'm hoping to get the things fully housed this weekend then start on the woody Gamma and woody Lambda . It's fun being able to finally get the tools up and running.
cool.gif

Must get felt and grill mesh from somewhere...

I really like the SR-X/MK3 Pro a lot.
Its a clear step up from the normal bias SR-X/MK3. But I have so far not found any time to compare it against my other Stax'.

Simply too busy riding my Honda VFR.
wink.gif

Apr 18, 2008 at 11:04 AM Post #73 of 120
ugh. be careful on that rocket. at least will me some stax if you are going to roll the dice on two wheels lol.

stax sucks? riiiiiiight. tool.

Apr 18, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #74 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to the team!
smily_headphones1.gif

The SR-Lambda get really great feedback around here, so you picked wisely.

I really like the SR-X/MK3 Pro a lot.
Its a clear step up from the normal bias SR-X/MK3. But I have so far not found any time to compare it against my other Stax'.

Simply too busy riding my Honda VFR.
wink.gif

Lucky sod. I'm not allowed a bike these days, the other half won't allow it
rolleyes.gif
Probably just as well given my past record of two-wheeled calamities.

My old mantra: If you made it round that corner, you weren't trying hard enough.
biggrin.gif

Apr 18, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #75 of 120
Quote:

I'm still undecided about both of them (what's better / worse), I love them both and to be fair they've both got they're own sound signatures. Oh well, it's a good job I've got all the time in the world, to decide

That's one of the reasons people are collecting Stax: they all have have different sweetnesses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back