Why so many Darth Beyers up for sale?
Aug 4, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #31 of 93
You won't see my favorite pair of deep-cup Darths for sale, either.

I've had maybe 9 or 10 Darths for sale here -- always wanting try out another type of wood, and ended up just buying exclusively deep-cup ones as my favorites -- sold several of the deep-cup Darths here, too, until finding my current favorite pair.

So, all the Darth sales here are NOT from disgruntled owners, as some seem to think. Many are from those that just want to sell one of their extra pairs, in order to buy another.

When used with decent equipment, Darths sound quite good, especially the deep-cup ones.

Too many peeps here use them with low-quality SQ as input, so no surprise they don't like them:
(GIGO -- Garbage In, Garbage Out)

I suspect that much of the whining is just "sour grapes" type.

Aug 4, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #32 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif

When used with decent equipment, Darths sound quite good, especially the deep-cup ones.

Too many peeps here use them with low-quality SQ as input, so no surprise they don't like them:

x2

beerchug.gif

Aug 4, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #33 of 93
Quote:

I used the standards with a TP Buffalo and B22. Still sounded like ass.

Have you compared the deeps to the standard Darths?

Aug 4, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #34 of 93
Clearly your gear still isn't good enough yet... try again when you build an amp that has a parts value of over 5 figures.

Aug 4, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #35 of 93
Funny, I've owned 6 pairs of Darths and retain 4 (2x X-Deep, 1x 32ohm, and 1x v.3std in particularly special figured Zebra). Had sold one v1 open, and one v2 closed. I listen to jazz, and some classical (meaning symphony, and opera).......and usually amp with either a Meier Prehead MkII, or a Meier HA-II.
FYI - also use Joe Grado HP-2, Alessandro MS Pro, modded AKG k340 (a pair of Grado RS-1 semi-vintage in-transit), and also a pair of dt990/600.
To me, many of the comments I've read in this thread are quite bizarre and have only bothered to post to protect the innocents who may read this thread.
BTW - was a music major in Voice as an undergrad, and studied both string bass, and guitar for a number of years. Like Silverrain above - not a greenhorn. If you play garbage recordings - there is nothing a good headphone or speakers can do to make the garbage sound good.......

Aug 4, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #36 of 93
Quote:

I've had maybe 9 or 10 Darths for sale here -- always wanting try out another type of wood, and ended up just buying exclusively deep-cup ones as my favorites -- sold several of the deep-cup Darths here, too, until finding my current favorite pair.

Why? Do they all sound (a lot? a tiny bit?) different?

Aug 5, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #39 of 93
Thanks for your experienced input. So, to clarify, some of you hardcore Darthers are selling older models for newer models with different wood configurations?

I'm hoping the deep cup Darth I will be buying will potentially be my end-all for closed cans. I listen to a lot of electronica, indie rock and lo-fi folk. I assume the deep cups will pair well with the electronica, but will they mesh with the rock, folk, and acoustic stuff? (ex. Broken Social Scene, Bon Iver, Iron & Wine, Pavement, Sufjan Stevens, etc.)

Oh, all music will be flac or 320 kbs sent via a modded Great March dac and either a Little Tube MKIV or an Original Master SS amp.

Aug 5, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #40 of 93
It is of note that a couple of Darth lovers that have posted in this thread have layed out their musical credencials. I would ask of them what it is that darth beyers do that other headphones do not, specifically.

Aug 5, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #41 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by jma790 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really funny post Duggeh
biggrin.gif

lighthearted in tone in might have been and dismissive and jovial it might have seemed but do not think that it was not firmly founded in a solid and vehemant view

Aug 5, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #42 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because new users to this site with a bit of money come asking in their noobishness and newness for a set of headphones that are comfy and have "sick wicked bass" or some varient of phrase thereof.

A bunch of people who have briefly heard of, or who might even own and like, the darth beyers mention them because they are renound for their "crazy mad bass whack yo" or varient of phrase thereof.

Person in question then hums and haws about the money involved but eventually drops the coin on them because other cans mentioned like the H2 are to rediculously expensive or like the HD650 aren't respected too much on the basis of "bonkers rumbling bass thump" or some varient of phrase thereof.

Darth beyers arrive from headphile, user loves "crazy pounding subwoofer on the head effect" or some varient of prase thereof until about 2 or 3 weeks later, which is either 13 or 20 days after new toy love syndrome wears thin. User listens to the headphones with ears instead of "blat bass honk trumps fo shizzle" or some varient of phrase thereof, and realises that in fact the Darth Beyer is to the ear what a train accident is to sex appeal, or what an Aga is to aerodynamics, or what a large bore oil rig drilling bit is to chess. IE: A useless pile of rubbish.

Darth Beyers sound horrible. Unless you're so much of a basshead with an inability to critically listen at all, that you are incapable of recognising it. They can actually cause motion sickness and the death of nearby children. Avoid them.

Oh my.

Aug 5, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #44 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyRay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love my Deep version Bolivian Rosewood V3 Darth Beyers.
You will not see them for sale on this forum or any other web site.
They are a keeper, especially with vinyl!

darthsmile.gif

hd81lite2av6.jpg

Wow, those are beautiful. Love the Y-splitter and barrel pieces.

Aug 5, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #45 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is of note that a couple of Darth lovers that have posted in this thread have layed out their musical credencials. I would ask of them what it is that darth beyers do that other headphones do not, specifically.

they don't wake up the kids.
ph34r.gif
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back