1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Why should I upgrade? (rambling)

First

Back
1 2 3
Next

Last
  1. coolvij
    Quote:

Maybe it's because we come from a more audio related background, whereas you guys are just casual headphone phenatics?

We referring to Neruda and you?

I'm sorry.....I thought Neruda was in HS - heading to college (or something like that [​IMG]) - and had a PCDP and 401s.

He isn't a CASUALY headphone fanatic - note spelling?

not trying to be annoying or mean, here....just.....trying to understand this thread.

And Xander, Neruda, etc. : Team AKG IS gonna take some **** if they pop one day and become the most vocal team EVER! Seriously.....before Neruda went gaa-gaa over the 401, I don't think that many people cared about ANY AKG cans save for the K1k.

Meh.........

Remember, Xander - I don't mean to be rude......

2. rickcr42 Contributor
    Easy guys,simmer down.
    Do not make me get Mike Walker !
    (looks over his shoulder[​IMG] )

3. Xander
    vij, it's cool! Chill out. [​IMG]

Neruda isn't a hi-fi speaker audio nutball like I was, but he knows what SOUNDS good. [​IMG]

4. Xander
    Sorry about my funky word disassociations. My brain is FUBAR. If I had a dollar for every time I tried to pronounce LOL outside of the internet world, I'd have a HeadRoom MAX. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. rickcr42 Contributor
    [​IMG]

6. coolvij
    All right, Xander! We're all chillin, now!

[​IMG]

7. Xander
    K. Now while you're at it, hold this soda for me.. Gettin' kinda warm.

8. coolvij
    Oh, really?

How about.......YOU GO AND....never mind.

[​IMG]

9. Xander
    That's fine! I have a fridge, too! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Neruda
    Xander, I have to say that your description of the 770's is closer to what i heard than my own explanations. It was as if the midrange wasn't there...I keep on describing it as thick, but that wasn't really the problem! It was like the midrange band was missing or something!

And well, I have to say that I also agree with just about everything else Xander's said thus far. I don't know why, but there seems to be an odd snense of hostility towards AKG fans here. Several times a thread has been started, someone attacks AKG's, we defend them, and we get attacked. Maybe I'm just too sensitive or something.

Vij, it's true that I don't have a very audiophile-ish past. However, look at two of the other prominent AKG fans. Both Daniel Pumphrey and kwkarth are sound engineers. they make their living by knowing what sounds accurate. They also feel that the K501 is a more accurate headphone than the Sennheiser HD580/600. In fact, I seem to recall Daniel disliking the HP-2's, whereas he enjoys the K501's! [​IMG] hmm...interesting. Personally, I think the K501's are more comparable to an electrostat than a dynamic headphone; maybe KR and some of the other anti-AKG guys would find the Omega 2's dull, I don't know (by the way, that does not mean to say that the K501's are as good as the omega 2's [​IMG]). From what I've learned about Xander, he's spent a long time trying to get really good sound from speakers, going so far as to put sound-dampening materials on the walls and stuff. To me, that sounds pretty serious. So I don't doubt that he understands audio.

Oh well. I guess it'll just be a small group of us who appreciate the AKG line. I suppose that could be better in some ways. At least we'll be unique! [​IMG]

11. MacDEF Contributor
    Quote:

I've listened to the HD580s on the Creek OBH11 (is this bad? I'm trying to be nice) and my findings were the same as Nerudas.

To be fair, from my understanding of the OBH11, it's not the best amp for HD580/600.

Quote:

It seems myself, and Neruda are both seeking the same thing. Neutrality, while otheres seem to just head for the sound they enjoy the most.

I don't think that's a fair statement, Xander. You seem to be implying that others don't enjoy neutrality. I, and a lot of others, are indeed looking for the sound we enjoy the most, AND that sound happens to be neutrality. I haven't heard the 501, but so far, out of all the headphones I have heard (and I've heard a lot), the HD600 and Etys are by *far* the most neutral.

Quote:

Neruda isn't a hi-fi speaker audio nutball like I was, but he knows what SOUNDS good.

Basically, you're saying that since he agrees with you, he knows what sounds good? (And I am not in any way casting aspersions on Neruda -- I just find your proclamation that Neruda knows what sounds good to be odd, especially since he's one of the few people who happens to have the same opinion as you [​IMG] ).

Quote:

I don't know why, but there seems to be an odd snense of hostility towards AKG fans here.

I think this whole "Team" thing, with its "brand loyalty," is quite funny. However, that said, I think if you go back and look at a few of the threads where "pro-AKG" people chimed in, any hostility has been well-earned. No where have I read as many "maybe you just like bad sound" comments made as from in the posts of the pro-AKG people. You guys really love your AKGs, and I think that's *great* -- but a common thread among the AKG crowd has been to question the hearing and/or preferences of others. I pointed that out in a thread a few weeks ago when someone else (not you or Xander) was doing it.

You listed a few people with good qualifications who like the 501. But there are plenty of other people here with impressive audio/recording/engineering backgrounds who prefer the HD600 or the RS1 (even the staff of HeadRoom, who have heard every high-end headphone on the planet, unanimously place the HD600 and RS1 in a class above the 501). But none of this matters in the end. Who does or doesn't like a certain model doesn't make anyone else's opinion "right" or "wrong."

Let's get back to trying to objectively discuss headphones. "Teams" are a cute, campy idea, and can be fun to joke about -- but when people start taking them too seriously...

12. Xander
    Let's just all be happy we like our phones...

I jumped the gun a few times. It just scared me when I listened to the 770s. I laughed pretty hard when Neruda picked out the model I had auditioned, though, and I never ONCE mentioned what model it was beforehand.. I did listen to another, though, which sounded better.. I'm not at liberty to say which, I don't wanna start any more trouble with the Beyer folk. [​IMG]

We're all here for good sound. Once you get good sound, I guess we all sortof spread out to find our preferense as far as tonal character goes. I, for one, want absolute neutrality. Some people like a warm sound.. Some bright, etc, while still maintaining a phone that could be called somewhat neutral (the response doesnt look like that of the V600).

Neruda hit the nail on the head when he said I spent a long time trying to get good sound from speakers. I've trained myself to hate things like slight narrow bands of bass frequencies that stick out too much, because I used to try and design thing-a-ma-bobs from DIY Hi-Fi sites to reduce refractions. I spent DAYS tweaking crossovers trying to get everything balanced, without having it too bright or too dark. When I hear a headphone thats bright, I'm tottally turned off. Same thing goes when it's too dark, or has some bass issues. Or even treble issues. The AKG's have issues of their own, but theyre within tolerable parameters. I never dreamed this kind of sound was available with headphones, though... [​IMG]

13. Xander
    Oh, and the 580s...

They sounded suprisingly muddy and thick on the OBH11 to my ears. I figured it couldent possibly be the phone, as I KNOW some of you just couldent tolerate something that sounded like that. It was atrotious. Funny how the AKG's sound so good on the OBH11, though. Maybe it has something to do with the impedances.

14. KR... Contributor
    Quote:

They sounded suprisingly muddy and thick on the OBH11 to my ears. I figured it couldent possibly be the phone, as I KNOW some of you just couldent tolerate something that sounded like that. It was atrotious. Funny how the AKG's sound so good on the OBH11, though. Maybe it has something to do with the impedances.

It all has to do with System matching. No one amp will sound great with all headphones, sorry. For example, The HD600 matched with the X-Combo (X-cans V2 & X-PSU) sound great, the Grado with this same setup does not sound their best, the AKG 501's sound down right dreadful, I'm talking pure ****, 100% low-fi crap!

The AKG 501's with the RA-1 sound much, much better. As long as you run it at low volumes, it sound like a good headphone should sound (not my cup of tea, but at least with the RA-1 I can see how some people may like these headphones with certain types of music), but it craps out when trying to play at lounder volumes. The grados with this amp sound great, The HD600 sound much different than they do with the X-cans but they still sound great.

15. Neruda
    Xander, from my experience, the HD600 sounds that way on a lot of amps (Including the Max). They sound good with classical, but that's the only music I'd ever risk using them for. As soon as I used them with rock, it was all over. the bass overpowered everything, and I hated them.

First

Back
1 2 3
Next

Last